[0.7.2] Shotgun does incorrect damage

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Psycho0124
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.7.2] Shotgun does incorrect damage

Post by Psycho0124 »

Hello again!
The shotgun seems to be doing far too little damage to Big Biters. Standard shells are doing about 2 dmg at point blank range (about 1/20th what the statistics indicate).
Piercing shotgun shells are doing even less; 1pt of damage at point blank range (sometimes absolutely nothing). The behavior seems about the same between the shotgun and combat shotgun.
Damage/armor calculation problem with the shotgun shells? It almost seems like the shotgun blasts are healing them? The shotguns seemed to behave fine in 0.7.1.

I've attached a savegame with a car, both shotguns and shell types, and some big biter test subjects wrangled up to kite and shoot at if it's helpful. :D
Shooting speed is upgraded to level 3 and shotgun dmg to level 1 iirc.
Attachments
GlitchedShotgun.zip
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 78 times

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.7.2] Shotgun does incorrect damage

Post by kovarex »

The problem with shotgun is, that it shoots 12/15 individual pellets and the damage displayed is the sum, the armor is calculated for every pellet indivdually.

Psycho0124
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Psycho0124 »

So do piercing shells have double the number of pellets? I can see them both doing zero damage at low upgrade levels but how could the standard shells possible out-perform the piercing shells (as is the case with that savegame)?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Default damage of one shotgun pellet damage is 4 (should be stronger then the bullet damage of 2)
Piercing damage of the pelet is 6.

Also the combat shotgun has 20% bonus of damage.

I will take a look at the save

P.S. We should describe this on the wiki precisly, and maybe ingame as well.

Psycho0124
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Psycho0124 »

kovarex wrote:Default damage of one shotgun pellet damage is 4 (should be stronger then the bullet damage of 2)
Piercing damage of the pelet is 6.

Also the combat shotgun has 20% bonus of damage.

I will take a look at the save

P.S. We should describe this on the wiki precisly, and maybe ingame as well.
Yeah, wiki definately needs some love. It's just hard to know what to document since so much could be changing with later versions. Maybe I'll hop on and contribute. Nice wikis attract larger playerbase and that's always a good thing. :D
I tested again, just to make sure, and hits with piercing shells don't even bring up a health bar on the enemy. Standard shells consistently do 2pts damage though. Happening the same on yours?
Shotgun damage research applies to both standard and piercing shells right?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Psycho0124 wrote:Yeah, wiki definately needs some love. It's just hard to know what to document since so much could be changing with later versions.
Grey put lot of effort recently to extend the wiki, but weapons aren't documented yet, I have to admit.

Anyway, I tried the save, and it is not buggy, you have not the piercing bullet, with some small upgrades, so instead of damage for it is more like 5 - 6, but when you take a look how the resistances work:
https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... tle=Damage
You can see, that the big biter with armor 8 gets damage of ~ 1/4 per pellet, for 12 pellets it is 3 damage (if you hit all).

So this is not a bug, but maybe balancing issue, but you should use piercing bullets and some upgrades against the strongest biters ...

Psycho0124
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Psycho0124 »

you have not the piercing bullet
Umm? Piercing bullets were down in the ammo bar to swap between while testing in the save. I had the standard shells also for comparison.
you should use piercing bullets and some upgrades against the strongest biters
I really wish you'd tried them; the piercing bullets were doing absolutely no damage at all in that save.
Ahh well, I guess it doesn't matter much in the big scheme of things. Nobody should really be trying to fight big biters with so few upgrades.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”