[0.11.16] Construction Bot Strategy

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[0.11.16] Construction Bot Strategy

Post by DaveMcW »

When you construct a ghost building, the logistics system does the following:

1. Choose the construction bot closest to the ghost.
2. Choose the storage chest containing the building, closest to the ghost.

This strategy is not optimal if the ghost and storage chest are far apart.
Instead it should be:

1. Choose the storage chest containing the building, closest to the ghost.
2. Choose the construction bot closest to the storage chest.

The current strategy works fine for deconstruction, it does not need to be changed there.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.16] Construction Bot Strategy

Post by bobingabout »

I agree, this is quite odd, and annoying, and should be changed.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yes, this was bugging me as well, and it is more of a feature for better strategy request that really a bug.
But as the change was quite simple, I put it into the 0.11.17

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

Actually I find that deconstruction does not work very well.

I have, time and time again, seen construction bots remove an item from the map and then, instead of going to the nearest storage chest (placed specifically for the purpose of taking the items I am presently deconstructing, no less), hare off to the only other group of storage boxes in the accesible region (the orange area around the roboports, I forget what it's called)...on the other side of the map 300+ tiles away.

I have to, for example, remove a roboport to cut off access to the rest of the map, then remove all storage boxes except the ones in the area I am working on, to keep the little buggers from roaming all over the bloody map to find places to store stuff and use the ones I want them to instead.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The bots try to fill the storage chests first, which have already an item of that type inside.

But yes, this is an issue, cause it limits the usable construction area dramatically and there are not really good workarounds. I would like to have a storage bot, which automatically comes, when there is a need for him. More or less like a harvester: when full returns home. And also into the other direction: when placing a blueprint, you can order a storage bot to bring the items, and it will be filled by the bots first and travel to the site and then the blueprint is placed.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

I guessed that, so I put items of the same type (all 3 electric poles, lights, laser turrets, stone walls and wood so I can clear forests quickly) in my near storage chests, but they still went to store everything in my far storage chests. Eventually I just stopped leaving chests lying around, but that means my bots can only repair damaged items, they can't replace destroyed items.

I has a sad.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”