[Linux w Intel GPU][cube] Most of the graphics missing

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Linux w Intel GPU][cube] Most of the graphics missing

Post by Blackence »

I also wonder where exactly the issue with some Intel drivers is. It's great that the workaround appears to work (no confirmation yet)?

I guess the problem is either a missing error return code when a big texture allocation fails. Or it should theoretically work and the texture allocation does not actually fail, but somehow the driver manages to corrupt the texture during allocation or later on. In any case, it sounds like something the developers at the Intel Open Source Technology Center / the mesa bug tracker might be interested in.

Also, MF-, I haven't played 0.7 since 0.9.8 was out when I first heard of factorio. Not sure why you're afraid of updating, AFAICT every new release since then brought improvements and fixes. Is there anything in 0.7 that is missing in 0.10? Well, slightly off topic I guess.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

The autodetection fix did't make it into any release, because it didn't work reliably. It just remained in the changelog by accident.

There are some difficulties with testing it exactly, because it doesn't happen on my computer.... I have to borrow the machine, do a few tests, rebuild... and all that only on weekend once in a few weeks ... But we'll get there :-)

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Oh, ok :D

It's nice to hear this isssue now has THAT optimistic prospects.

roothorick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by roothorick »

Booted up the game on my ThinkPad (i5-3230M on-die, Ubuntu-Gnome 14.04), and there's some graphics issues, but nowhere near as bad as the screenshots in this thread... There's a flickering checkerboard pattern in some terrain tiles, distracting, but perfectly playable. Let me know if you think this is related or a separate issue.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

roothorick wrote:Booted up the game on my ThinkPad (i5-3230M on-die, Ubuntu-Gnome 14.04), and there's some graphics issues, but nowhere near as bad as the screenshots in this thread... There's a flickering checkerboard pattern in some terrain tiles, distracting, but perfectly playable. Let me know if you think this is related or a separate issue.
That is a separate issue. Now that I think about it, it happens on my computer too! I just got so used to it that I don't notice anymore :-) We should fix this.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Hah. I also got the checkerboard pattern once, but it disappeared when I switched to low-graphics, so I ignored it :)

vzybilly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Linux w Intel GPU] Most of the graphics missing

Post by vzybilly »

cube wrote:... and we have a work around: In 0.10.3 there is a new config option max-texture-size in the [graphics] section of config.ini.
Setting it to 4096 helped in my case :-)
I had issues when I first ran the game, even the main menu was horrible to use but this has fixed all my issues.
Just wanted to add that in, I can also help with debugging it if needed. I'm a Java/Scala programmer with work in assembly so I might be better than the average user for help :)

(I might even be able to allow remote connection so you can just get on and work on my computer as if it was there...)
Will code for Food. I also have 11+ mods!

lordoflinks
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lordoflinks »

Where has the option gone in 0.11?

vzybilly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vzybilly »

lordoflinks wrote:Where has the option gone in 0.11?
I just added the line into the config and it worked
Will code for Food. I also have 11+ mods!

HellUnit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HellUnit »

Just to confirm, I'm using 0.12.14 on Xubuntu 14.04 x64 with an old Intel GM45 Express chipset and at first, most of the menu backgrounds were missing. This was resolved by editing the config.ini and setting the video-memory-usage to low. Then, a lot of the in-game textures were missing. I stumbled across this post via Google and setting the max-texture-size to 4096 in the config resolved the missing textures (it was set to 0 by default).

EDIT: Specified Linux distro

FabianK3
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FabianK3 »

Hi guys, im playing the game one Windows 10 and everything run smothly until something happend and i got the same textures after i spawn and i start running. Befor i start walking i got these textures (look attachment). I already tried low-quality and different memory options and i tried override the default option max-texture-size and force-openGL, no solutions... I don't know if an update broke the game or something else, of course i already clean installed the game on different versions! Not tested on any savegames, i generated a new map every time! Using an Intel CPU and an AMD grahpic card. Im posting on this Linux post because i didn't find any post with this bug/glitch... :arrow: I'm new in this forum and excuse my bad english :( . Greetings!
Attachments
factorio graphic glitch at new game start without moving or pressing anything.
factorio graphic glitch at new game start without moving or pressing anything.
factorio graphic glitch at spawn.png (3.07 MiB) Viewed 5626 times

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

FabianK3 wrote:Hi guys, im playing the game one Windows 10 and everything run smothly until something happend and i got the same textures after i spawn and i start running. Befor i start walking i got these textures (look attachment). I already tried low-quality and different memory options and i tried override the default option max-texture-size and force-openGL, no solutions... I don't know if an update broke the game or something else, of course i already clean installed the game on different versions! Not tested on any savegames, i generated a new map every time! Using an Intel CPU and an AMD grahpic card. Im posting on this Linux post because i didn't find any post with this bug/glitch... :arrow: I'm new in this forum and excuse my bad english :( . Greetings!
Hi, I think that your problem is actually related to this one: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 10#p116166 ; it should be solved in 0.12.17 (the next release, expect it sometime this week).

Joss
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Joss »

Hi all,

Thanks for the fix, Factorio works for me on Linux now! (after a couple hours of hunting for the bug resolution on internet).

It's a bit sad that it does not work out of the box on Linux but it works on Windows on the same machine.

Also, does this bug limit or cut the textures in any way? I wonder how setting a max size for textures make them reappear...
Maybe because the textures are stored as "chunks" and it's the chunk size that is set with the config setting?

Just curious. Thanks :)

PS: Factorio is an AWESOME game! Keep up the good work, guys, you are all amazing! Also, the new graphics ROCK!

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Joss wrote:Also, does this bug limit or cut the textures in any way?
The draw performance will be a little bit worse, but it's likely that you won't even notice.
Joss wrote:PS: Factorio is an AWESOME game! Keep up the good work, guys, you are all amazing! Also, the new graphics ROCK!
Thanks, we're glad you like it :-)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”