[0.9.8] Pausing scheduled trains doesn't clear yellow signal

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Ezhar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.9.8] Pausing scheduled trains doesn't clear yellow signal

Post by Ezhar »

Screenshot

How to reproduce: Build track as pictured, set train to drive to both stations (stop 0 seconds at both if that matters), then pause train at left station and manually drive down the dead-end track until past the signal there.

I'd expect that signal to show green. Bug? Feature?

Edit: See below for more.
Last edited by Ezhar on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.9.8] Why is this signal yellow?

Post by slay_mithos »

As far as I know, yellow is for "this portion is the path of a train, not currently inside that portion".

Ezhar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ezhar »

Yes, yellow is a look-behind block reservation. There is no train heading towards that signal, so it shouldn't make reservations.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Normally the signals are very logic and I would mark them bug free.

Is there a signal above/under the train, in the other direction towards the switch? Because that would make more sense.

But so I guess: The yellow signal is seen as the first before the red signal. It is seen from the switch (which is the block before the red signal block. The algorithm searches for the signal of block reservation. Goes down in the circle, up and then comes again to the same block and then two steps before, because there must be a gap before a yellow signal. Or it goes from the switch up, left and then the stop splits the track (train stops separate segments: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... Train_stop ) and it is the signal before this segment-split.

Anyways, it's strange. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Ezhar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ezhar »

I've figured it out. It seems the real bug here is that when a scheduled train has its schedule paused, any reservations it has made to signals ahead aren't freed (and manually driven trains don't make reservations). So the signal is yellow because a train had previously reserved it, but then been paused before arriving at the signal.

The signal is briefly cleared (green) after driving a train through manually, but resets to the false reservation (yellow) as soon as the train leaves its block. So I guess the fix is to clear any reservations a scheduled train has made when it is paused.

Here's a savegame demonstrating this if you want to reproduce/goof around:
trainsignals.zip

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.9.8] Pausing scheduled trains doesn't clear yellow si

Post by sillyfly »

Just posting to verify I'm witnessing this bug as well - if a train "reserves" a block, but then is manually stopped before it reaches this signal, the signal is stuck in yellow (reserved) state until you manually cross it.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Thanks for the report guys. And for the save with a fancy arrow:D This will be fixed in the 0.10.1.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Wonderful. I recently ran into this problem again, and it had all my trains running in loops because of one messed signal :)
Now I really can't wait for you to release 0.10.1 :D

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

sillyfly wrote:Wonderful. I recently ran into this problem again, and it had all my trains running in loops because of one messed signal :)
Now I really can't wait for you to release 0.10.1 :D
The only drawback is that initially when loading the save from 0.10.0 the yellow signals will not get magically migrated. But running through them with any (even manual) machine will solve the issue for once and all.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”