[0.10.x] admin permission required during update

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.10.x] admin permission required during update

Post by arl85 »

I noticed it long ago but always forgot to report
when you update the game, the UAC window appears asking for admin permission (I'm unable to capture the screen, but it's executing something like "stage 2" and "instruction.json") even if factorio is installed in a user writable folder(not in "program files" or similar)
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

roothorick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.10.x] admin permission required during update

Post by roothorick »

I would argue this is notabug. The Windows NT lineage (including XP, Vista, 7, 8, et al) is an inherently multi-user system, and part of its design philosophy is that something that affects other users should require elevated privileges. The current design assumption is that Factorio is installed someplace system-global, and therefore an update would indeed affect other users.

Would make sense to put in a suggestion to check whether the game is installed underneath the user's profile (easy: check whether the install directory begins with %USERPROFILE%), and if it is, don't attempt to elevate. But seeing as you should only be playing games on personal systems, and you definitely should have elevated privileges on your own machines, it's a non-issue.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

If I have the exe version installed this behavior is ok but when I install the zip version then iks that onla anoing.

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arl85 »

My game has been installed from zip package, in a c:\games directory.
Is there no way to check if elevated privilege is needed before starting the update process (other than checking specific installation path as already suggested)?
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello, this have been fixed for 0.11.11 (to be released this week). The zip version shouldn't ask for permission anymore (it should work on the transition 0.11.11 -> 0.11.12)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”