[0.10.12] Inconsistent behaviour on multi-stop trainstation

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.10.12] Inconsistent behaviour on multi-stop trainstation

Post by Boogieman14 »

In the attached save, I have two trainstops named "Factory" (one named manually, the other using the "Perform change" button). From my observations, this should work as long as the block leading up to these stops only has exits here and not to other stops (emphasis on observation, I dont think I've seen this behaviour documented anywhere). Now for this demonstration, I have two trains driving back and forth between the nearby Parking station (which actually uses the same multi-stop design and this appears to work well, although this is not as complex) and this Factory station. There's also one train driving its normal route to a mining outpost.

The trains exhibit some inconsistency in their stop selection. Obviously, when both tracks are free, they prefer the bottom track. Likewise, when both tracks are occupied, the next incoming train will queue up for the bottom stop (I would love OpenTTD-style entry/exit or path signals, but that's a different matter :mrgreen: ). When the bottom track is occupied but the top track is free is when the inconsistency happens. Sometimes, the next train will properly pick the free track, other times it will queue up for the occupied bottom track. As you can see, I've been trying to simplify the layout, but that doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I haven't been able to make any sense of this behaviour.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrsw75hq1i0kr ... s.zip?dl=0
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.10.12] Inconsistent behaviour on multi-stop trainstat

Post by arl85 »

if it can help, there were at least two discussions about that (see here)
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Hmm.. It does look like moving the entrance signal back a few spots (to the straight piece between the walls, for anyone watching :) ) makes it a bit better. Not sure if it's because of the straight or because it's further away from the switch.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Well, it did help somewhat, but with higher load and all four tracks in use, there's still the same inconsistency, just less frequently.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Hi, this minor change seems to make it work:
PIC
I watched at game.speed 10 for about 5 minutes, and it worked without fault. I also used the same light system to integrate your third station, when the first two stations were occupied the third train uses your third station 100% of the time.

Nice looking base btw.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Thanks, hadn't thought of moving it that way. It does seem to make it work for the three stops, but the fourth doesn't get used at all. Guess that's too far away to get selected (the mouseover indicator for that signal also only shows the middle two paths, so that's probably related). I now have 8 trains calling at this station regularly, so far it hasn't broken yet :) (

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

No worries, this setup seems to work for your 4th station:
PIC
Sidenote: Removing those 4 lights and just having the light before the station seems to work too, although I foresee some collision in that situation.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

FishSandwich wrote:No worries, this setup seems to work for your 4th station:
PIC
Sidenote: Removing those 4 lights and just having the light before the station seems to work too, although I foresee some collision in that situation.
Seen a few too many of those already :lol:

But I guess, while inspired by OTTD, Factorio still works quite differently when it comes to trains and signals. I think that signal layout would have been a recipe for disaster in OTTD :)

*edit* okay, this is bad :oops: While trying to place those signals according to your example, I noticed i had missed one straight for the connection to the fourth stop. Can't believe I hadn't noticed that one before :/
Last edited by Boogieman14 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

lol definitely, I wouldn't use some of my hacky light setups from Factorio in OpenTTD. That's just asking for trouble. :lol:

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

There has been fixed in 0.11 of the stations (now they are always identified by the string only, so this kind of issue doesn't happen), there has been fixes of picking the station as well, so I guess it is fixed already. I couldn't verify that because I couldn't download the save.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”