Socket Error

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
JMBarbarossa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Socket Error

Post by JMBarbarossa »

I have been playing with a friend with no desyncs so far. However our game will lock up sporadically sometimes in 10 min, sometimes one and a half hours. When the game locks up, if I leave things for him stay normal, if I stay in the game, my game will say that he is dropped even though he is the one hosting the game and his game will crash. Sometimes I get an error window saying socket error with a number (I need to look again at the number.) As far as we know, his ports are open. We are not using a vpn or anything special. The last two times the game locked up, I noticed that I was placing something, first time, a refinery, second time a large power line. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. We have crashed while playing probably some 20 times over 3 days at this point.

JMBarbarossa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Socket Error

Post by JMBarbarossa »

we started using hamachi and now it doesn't seem to crash, but every 2 minutes or so, it hangs for about 10 seconds straight.

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

Every 2 minutes is default autosave interval.

JMBarbarossa
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JMBarbarossa »

it didn't seem to hang to that level without hamachi though

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

JMBarbarossa wrote:I have been playing with a friend with no desyncs so far. However our game will lock up sporadically sometimes in 10 min, sometimes one and a half hours. When the game locks up, if I leave things for him stay normal, if I stay in the game, my game will say that he is dropped even though he is the one hosting the game and his game will crash. Sometimes I get an error window saying socket error with a number (I need to look again at the number.) As far as we know, his ports are open. We are not using a vpn or anything special. The last two times the game locked up, I noticed that I was placing something, first time, a refinery, second time a large power line. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. We have crashed while playing probably some 20 times over 3 days at this point.
Hi, I'm sorry, but we can't do anything without the socket error code. Maybe try looking into the log file if you can find it there.

Who gets dropped from a game doesn't depend on who is hosting the game (Factorio multiplayer is peer to peer). If only two players are in a game and the connection between them is broken, ideally both of them should see the other one as dropped and keep playing without them

Krangth
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Krangth »

its possible this isnt the error the same error as the OP is having, but....

"binding socket failed: error code 10048"

My friend and I get this error randomly and frequently. the game stops moving, but i can still save and use the menu without issue. so i usually save, but if i dont exit the game completely before rehosting then this error will immediately come up as soon as i go to multiplayer. Also, when I leave the game, the game returns to working properly on my friend's machine.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Socket error 10048 means address in use. Did you have two instances of Factorio running? We will add a special error message for this to make the problem easier to detect.

Krangth
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Krangth »

No, I did not have two instances of factorio running.

After a seemingly random amount of time at which point the game will freeze for both players, but they can still interact with the menu. The host hits quit game and immediately tries to rehost, but (i suspect) the original connection was probably never closed due to the hang so when the game tries to reopen the socket it is still in use from earlier.
I have no idea what causes the game to freeze. As the original poster said, after the host leaves the game, the other player is able to continue as normal.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello, there have been some networking code fixes, so it might get fixed, also there are better reports of the problems, so this is hopefully fixed, let us know if it is still not working properly in 0.11.6

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”