[MOD 0.11.X] TimeButtons

Topics and discussion about specific mods
jamuspsi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[MOD 0.11.X] TimeButtons

Post by jamuspsi »

It didn't look to me like the old author was still active, so I fixed a couple things in the TimeButtons mod for 0.11, with a minor regression.

This version has the compatibility fix for Advanced Equipment removed.

That's basically all I did, other than wrapping the cursor state call in a try/pcall. I'm willing to maintain this, but maybe someone with more modding/lua experience can help me out with a couple things.

1. Why does calling game.player.cursorpos in a tick handler fail right when loading a game, saying "The player does not have a game view."? I caught the error and bail on the handler when loading, but this doesn't feel like the best way.
2. Why does the Advanced Equipment fix crash factorio on init? No error, just a stopped working dialog. I honestly can't figure out what it's doing wrong, but maybe it's related- like you can't modify the gui for a few ticks after starting/loading a game? Is this newish? How have other people dealt with this?

Anyway, attachment here. I *think* that it'll work in multiplayer now, but playing around with game speed in multiplayer, you can only get up to about 2x before the game actually SLOWS rather than speeding up.
Attachments
TimeButtons_0.3.0.zip
(29.39 KiB) Downloaded 554 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [MOD 0.11.X] TimeButtons

Post by Rseding91 »

I think the issues you're having aren't going to be fixable. The game and the graphics are split - the game can run without the graphics and the graphics can run different from the game. If I had to guess, the game loads before the graphics are fully running and the tick tries to get the cursor position when the render isn't fully ready.

Also, game.player.cursorposition will break MP and replays as well as game.player. game.player needs to be replaced with game.players[playerindex] and game.players[playerindex].cursorposition will just straight up break in MP.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

Can you explain to me why you stole my mod?

Please delete it from this forum, and others too if you published it somewhere wlse.
Lenovo Y580 8GB Ram GF660m 128GB SSD W7

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Bit harsh there, darius, since you were MIA for almost 3 months when he made the thread. (and longer than that since you posted in your own mod's thread)
But other than the lack of tact, sounds like a reasonable request, since the author has voiced his objections.
For perspective, I've been using your mod since I found it, so I'm not siding against you here.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Damrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Damrus »

n9103 wrote:Bit harsh there, darius, since you were MIA for almost 3 months when he made the thread. (and longer than that since you posted in your own mod's thread)
But other than the lack of tact, sounds like a reasonable request, since the author has voiced his objections.
For perspective, I've been using your mod since I found it, so I'm not siding against you here.
well said.

darius456
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by darius456 »

I don't have to explain my private problem with my wife, pregnant and new born child, except factorio I have private live. One simple question and everything would be OK. But someone stole my work. I want justice.
Lenovo Y580 8GB Ram GF660m 128GB SSD W7

The Lone Wolfling
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by The Lone Wolfling »

Justice? For what?

Someone updated a mod because the original developer (i.e. you) was MIA. Why has that harmed you in any way?

Saying "I have returned and updated the mod, this unofficial update's purpose was fulfilled, now please take it down" would be fine. But saying that it's "stolen" (PSA: stealing requires a loss - if there is such a loss please let us know) and saying that you need "justice" comes off as a little heavy-handed, to put it mildly. Regardless of if it is something you are allowed to do (I'm pretty sure it is, but, again, regardless), it doesn't exactly make people like you or respect your position.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

The Lone Wolfling wrote: Regardless of if it is something you are allowed to do (I'm pretty sure it is, but, again, regardless),
Actually, it isn't. Since no copyright statements have been made and the original was released pre-0.11 (when devs decided all mods by default would fall under CC-BY-NC, unless otherwise specified), it would have to be assumed 'all rights reserved' so strictly speaking, not allowed to re-release it. That said, I fully agree with the rest of your statement. The wording should've been chosen a lot more careful.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

The Lone Wolfling
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by The Lone Wolfling »

Whoops, that was ambiguous. Sorry. You're in violent agreement with me. By "you", I was referring to the mod author. As such, I was saying "Regardless of if you are allowed to demand that this be taken down". In other words, taking precisely the same stance as you.

Return to “Mods”