[011.0 +] Biter Bites

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[011.0 +] Biter Bites

Post by Schmendrick »

Relying on fish for on-the-fly healing, but... running out of fish? No problem!

Biter Bites lets you harvest biter (and spitter) corpses for meat, which heal a little bit, like fish.

Raw meat heals a very small amount and has a relatively long cooldown. Take it back to your base, though, and you can cook them in batches of 10 to make delicious roasts.
biter-bites.jpg
biter-bites.jpg (50.1 KiB) Viewed 10537 times
Biter corpses must be harvested to yield meat, so no need to worry about excessive meat clutter.
Attachments
Biter-Bites_0.1.0.zip
(12.21 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Like my mods? Check out another! Or see older, pre-0.12.0 mods.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [011.0 +] Biter Bites

Post by n9103 »

Interesting.
Don't suppose the corpse harvesting can be automated?
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

Well, yes and no. Construction bots should be able to harvest, but in this mod, by itself, there isn't a way to automatically designate for deconstruction. I could probably add that but it would require learning (haven't touched bot-related scripts yet) and this was a pretty low effort mod to begin with (just being honest, I'm remarkably unmotivated lately).

So.. maybe in the future.

Araxiel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Araxiel »

I think you uploaded the wrong file: The .zip contains the prototypes from the miniaturized assembly machines, not the biter bites. Although, the biter bites sprites are there.

On the other hand, I might be completely stupid and missing something and therefor wrong.

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

Araxiel wrote:I think you uploaded the wrong file: The .zip contains the prototypes from the miniaturized assembly machines, not the biter bites. Although, the biter bites sprites are there.

On the other hand, I might be completely stupid and missing something and therefor wrong.
It's.. both. :D I often just copy an old mod directory over when making a new mod and edit accordingly. I just forgot to remove the Miniatiaturization files. So the mod as is is fine, it just has some vestigial features (that shouldn't be loaded by Factorio, so they should have no negative impact other than taking up a few extra kb on your hard drive). Next time I update things I'll fix it.

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

n9103 wrote:Interesting.
I looked into it further and no, corpse harvesting can't be automated. This is a Factorio engine limit, may or may not change in future versions.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.0 +] Biter Bites

Post by n9103 »

I wouldn't be surprised if it does.
The devs are very liberal and implementing API and functions that benefit mods and not vanilla.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Schmendrick wrote:
n9103 wrote:Interesting.
I looked into it further and no, corpse harvesting can't be automated.
Why not? Dytech and f-mod are able to do it..

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

They apply a process to items in the entity's range? I was pretty sure they just picked up items in range.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

It could be set to drop meat and have an item collector like dytech/f-mod. Or set to deconstruct and collected by a construction bot automatically, like treefarm does(obviously corpses would have to be changed so they can be deconstructed, but that shouldn't be too difficult).

That's just two examples of how to automate it, I'm sure there's more.

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

The corpse type isn't legal for deconstruction, and as far as I can tell is fairly hardcodey regarding its lifetime and slow fade.

The deconstruction issue might be able to be gotten around by being clever with non-corpse substitution, but the appeal in my opinion is that corpses decay and disappear automatically if not collected; I don't want the map cluttering with magically nondecaying meat so I'm happy to use the existing corpse mechanics. Meat/roasts are only consumed in manual-level rates (by the player, not in any recipes or machines), so I'm pretty okay with the manual harvesting limitation. If it changes in the future I'll be happy to write support for auto collection, but in my opinion it's really a non-issue.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Or... you could get all gruesome with it and make recipes that do use meat on an automated level :P
And the decaying is a big part of this particular mod. No "magic meat" clutter.

But as is, it's not a real issue.
My initial inquiry (months ago) was an interest in setting up the meat in an outpost system, right next to the ammo and capsules.
Still doable, but more manual than I would have liked, thus the question.

Return to “Mods”