[MOD 0.11.16+] Logistics Wagons 0.2.3

Topics and discussion about specific mods
gnz
Inserter
Inserter

[MOD 0.11.16+] Logistics Wagons 0.2.3

Post by gnz »

This mod adds four new train wagons which will act like the four logistics chests.

The look of these four new wagons are significantly different from the base wagon to not mistake them and they are colour coded in the same way as the logistics chests.
ImageImageImageImage

The proxy chests will be removed when the train starts moving, but the limit filters and the requester selection will be reapplied once the train stops again.

Note about requester chest:
To get the requester chest interface and set limits then you will have to find the smaller selection box in the middle of the wagon and click that. See image below from previous version. Since 0.11.16 changed the behaviour of the ghost-layer then I have made this larger which should be selectable.

Download link: Logistics Wagons 0.2.3
NOTE:
If you are using a pre-0.1.2 version you will need to re-research the technology. Sorry about that!

This is based on the mod by James O'Farrell.
Issues
Changelog
Last edited by gnz on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:24 am, edited 7 times in total.

pdiddy973
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.x] Logistics Wagons 0.1

Post by pdiddy973 »

would it be possible to add a charging wagon? or maybe a charging pad that can charge a large group of robots insted of just for...and i know theirs another mod but they only allow four robots as well....it would be nice to be able to have active provider wagons and have the robots unload the train directly and not need to put them into a chest...but doing that way require them to charge...so if possible my a pad than can charge like 10-20?....maybe modular and it like one per tile...idk im not good at programming ^^

gnz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnz »

pdiddy973 wrote:would it be possible to add a charging wagon? or maybe a charging pad that can charge a large group of robots insted of just for...and i know theirs another mod but they only allow four robots as well....it would be nice to be able to have active provider wagons and have the robots unload the train directly and not need to put them into a chest...but doing that way require them to charge...so if possible my a pad than can charge like 10-20?....maybe modular and it like one per tile...idk im not good at programming ^^
I could certainly add that but I'm worried about balancing. Also, I like to keep mods small so if I do that then I'll probably spin it off in another small mod rather than try to bloat this. Anyway, I'd like to hear what people think about this. The problem to add it straight up is electricity use. I've intentionally not done the electric trains since other people seems more interested in it and I'm not sure if I want to do it given the limitations of factorio at the moment. However, it would not be unreasonable to see the train as a generator and put an electrical drain on that in the sense that there is a constant drain on the fuel source. By doing that then I could model up a couple of different trains in the grunge style and equally well toss in a couple of other locomotives while I'm at it. If that seems to be a good idea to the community then I'll probably implement it as such. With that said, charging slots are probably hardcoded but I'll have to try and see what happens.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

This isn't working for me.
I've tried placing both passive and active provider carriages but I don't see the actual entity (Small selection box) to interact with it.
Nothing actually happens though till I start moving the train whereupon I get this error:

control.lua : 523
LuaEntity API call when LuaEntity was invalid

Factorio version: 0.11.15
I don't see anything in the logfile that might help either.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

gnz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnz »

MasterBuilder wrote:This isn't working for me.
I've tried placing both passive and active provider carriages but I don't see the actual entity (Small selection box) to interact with it.
Nothing actually happens though till I start moving the train whereupon I get this error:

control.lua : 523
LuaEntity API call when LuaEntity was invalid

Factorio version: 0.11.15
I don't see anything in the logfile that might help either.
Hello there,

Could you unzip the mod and in the control.lua file enable the debug logs on line 680? That is, turn that false that is there to true.
This will start printing quite a bit to the console but in particular what seems to be your problem is that the proxy entity isn't created as you say. Not sure why that is so some debug information would be nice.

In the meantime, are you using any other mods that are train related? Perhaps there is a mod conflict I haven't noticed.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

gnz wrote:Could you unzip the mod and in the control.lua file enable the debug logs on line 680? That is, turn that false that is there to true.
This will start printing quite a bit to the console but in particular what seems to be your problem is that the proxy entity isn't created as you say. Not sure why that is so some debug information would be nice.

In the meantime, are you using any other mods that are train related? Perhaps there is a mod conflict I haven't noticed.
I always unzip the mods. 1: So I make sure to avoid any bugs, 2: So I can look at the files and try to fix any issues that show up.
(I was also thinking the proxy entity wasn't getting created but wasn't sure why.)
As far as train mods go there's quite a few:
FARL_0.1.7
RailTanker_0.0.8
SmartTrains_0.2.0
TheFatController_0.0.9
Wagons_0.0.13 (This is one I ported myself and only has the electric locomotive/tracks.)

The rail tanker has no problem creating the proxy, electric locomotive/tracks work, and so does FARL.

I do see "Removed one invalid trains" in hovering red text when above the wagons (Scrolls up, disappears.), but not immediately when I place it. Rather, it appears when I connect the wagon to anything else, locomotive, another cargo wagon, etc.

The debug log (Seems to be console only and I'm not typing all that.) seems to indicate it has no problems creating the proxy and even indicates it is valid.
My best guess is that the game considers the proxy to be invalid and forcefully removes it once I try to connect the wagon to a train.

Here's a screenshot. In this I place the logistic wagon (no proxy visible) then I place the cargo wagon beside it (linking them) triggering the weird error.
Screenshot
Any attempt to move that wagon now will trigger the LUA crash. (I can remove the wagon just fine though.)

Note 1: Nothing else is printed to the console between placing the wagon and attempting to move it which triggers the crash.
Note 2: I didn't mention this initially as I can trigger this error simply by placing a vanilla cargo wagon and then a diesel locomotive next to it.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

MasterBuilder wrote:I do see "Removed one invalid trains" in hovering red text when above the wagons (Scrolls up, disappears.), but not immediately when I place it. Rather, it appears when I connect the wagon to anything else, locomotive, another cargo wagon, etc.
That's from SmartTrains, and it's ok that it appears when you change (i.e. add/remove a wagon/loco) a train.
FARL and SmartTrains shouldn't be the issue here.

My guess is that the wagon entity becomes invalid when you add/remove another wagon to it (that's the case for the train entity)
Does the error appear when you first place a locomotive then a logistics wagon and try to drive then? What happens if you add a second wagon after successfully driving?

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Choumiko wrote:My guess is that the wagon entity becomes invalid when you add/remove another wagon to it (that's the case for the train entity)
Does the error appear when you first place a locomotive then a logistics wagon and try to drive then? What happens if you add a second wagon after successfully driving?
Nothing on the track, place locomotive, add wood, get in, drive, stop, get out, place a passive provider on the end of the train "Removed 1 invalid trains", get back in train, attempt to move train and it crashes.
Even if I place the locomotive and wagon on the track but unlinked, back up to it and press 'g', once I move it crashes.

Once I place a logistic wagon on the track I: 1: Never see the 'proxy'. 2: Any attempt to move the wagon crashes with the for-mentioned error.

EDIT: I believe I have found the issue. I removed what electric locomotives I had so I could see disable the mod ant see if that would help. I tried again and the error went away so somehow this is conflicting with the original 'wagons' mod.
I know both this mod and the electric locomotive are offspring of the 'wagons' mod but I'm not sure what the issue is. Could both mods be using the same global variable for 'proxy'? Does LUA isolate variables between mods?

gnz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnz »

MasterBuilder wrote:
Choumiko wrote:My guess is that the wagon entity becomes invalid when you add/remove another wagon to it (that's the case for the train entity)
Nothing on the track, place locomotive, add wood, get in, drive, stop, get out, place a passive provider on the end of the train "Removed 1 invalid trains", get back in train, attempt to move train and it crashes.
Even if I place the locomotive and wagon on the track but unlinked, back up to it and press 'g', once I move it crashes.

Once I place a logistic wagon on the track I: 1: Never see the 'proxy'. 2: Any attempt to move the wagon crashes with the for-mentioned error.

EDIT: I believe I have found the issue. I removed what electric locomotives I had so I could see disable the mod ant see if that would help. I tried again and the error went away so somehow this is conflicting with the original 'wagons' mod.
I know both this mod and the electric locomotive are offspring of the 'wagons' mod but I'm not sure what the issue is. Could both mods be using the same global variable for 'proxy'? Does LUA isolate variables between mods?
In particular:
Could both mods be using the same global variable for 'proxy'? Does LUA isolate variables between mods?
I was thinking that was the case to be honest. I don't know how LUA/Factorio sandboxes but it seems to me that the only thing it could be is that I didn't change the glob.wagons from the previous mod, assuming there was some form of sandbox. I'll do a quick change of that and upload a new version and we can see if that fixes it.

gnz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnz »

MasterBuilder wrote:

I renamed all items in the mod to prefixed and changed the glob key, so try this version. There is no migration script on this though so you will have to re-research the technology and probably remove all current wagons.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

gnz wrote:I renamed all items in the mod to prefixed and changed the glob key, so try this version. There is no migration script on this though so you will have to re-research the technology and probably remove all current wagons.
Yup, that did it. Both work now.

Two minor issues:
1: The zip has a '__MACOSX' folder, and a '.DS_Store' in just about every folder. These are unneeded and I think I remember seeing a bug report about Factorio treating them as LUA on other (non-Mac) OSes.
2: The folder name inside the zip is just 'LogisticsWagons' and lacks the trailing version.

I also took the liberty of making a migration file and it seems to have worked for me. (Stolen from here and here. Should be MP compatible in theory.)

Code: Select all

-- reload recipes and technologies in game from prototypes (aka update existing ones with changes)
for i, player in ipairs(game.players) do
  player.force.resetrecipes()
  player.force.resettechnologies()
end

for index, force in pairs(game.forces) do
  -- generate technology / recipes tables once and store them
  local tech = force.technologies
  local recipes = force.recipes

-- if this tech exists and is researched then
  if tech["logistic-system"] and tech["logistic-system"].researched then
      -- these checks are really only for if another mod changes things
    if recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-passive"] then
      recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-passive"].enabled = true
    end
    if recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-active"] then
      recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-active"].enabled = true
    end
    if recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-storage"] then
      recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-storage"].enabled = true
    end
    if recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-requester"] then
      recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-requester"].enabled = true
    end
  end
end
It's not going to fix/replace existing wagons from the previous version, but it will properly unlock the tech if the player has already researched logistic-systems.

gnz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnz »

MasterBuilder wrote:
gnz wrote:I renamed all items in the mod to prefixed and changed the glob key, so try this version. There is no migration script on this though so you will have to re-research the technology and probably remove all current wagons.
Yup, that did it. Both work now.

Two minor issues:
1: The zip has a '__MACOSX' folder, and a '.DS_Store' in just about every folder. These are unneeded and I think I remember seeing a bug report about Factorio treating them as LUA on other (non-Mac) OSes.
2: The folder name inside the zip is just 'LogisticsWagons' and lacks the trailing version.

I also took the liberty of making a migration file and it seems to have worked for me. (Stolen from here and here. Should be MP compatible in theory.)

Code: Select all

-- reload recipes and technologies in game from prototypes (aka update existing ones with changes)
for i, player in ipairs(game.players) do
  player.force.resetrecipes()
  player.force.resettechnologies()
end

for index, force in pairs(game.forces) do
  -- generate technology / recipes tables once and store them
  local tech = force.technologies
  local recipes = force.recipes

-- if this tech exists and is researched then
  if tech["logistic-system"] and tech["logistic-system"].researched then
      -- these checks are really only for if another mod changes things
    if recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-passive"] then
      recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-passive"].enabled = true
    end
    if recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-active"] then
      recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-active"].enabled = true
    end
    if recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-storage"] then
      recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-storage"].enabled = true
    end
    if recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-requester"] then
      recipes["lw-cargo-wagon-requester"].enabled = true
    end
  end
end
It's not going to fix/replace existing wagons from the previous version, but it will properly unlock the tech if the player has already researched logistic-systems.
Thanks for the migration script! I'll add that in and put up a new version.

Regarding the hidden folders, I've been meaning for some time to do a script that packages up the zip file ( and hopefully puts it on git releases ) but I've been too lazy to do anything about it. Is there any problem with the folder not having the version number btw? I was under the impression only the zip needed to have correct number.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Now that the I can use the wagons I'm seeing another issue.
Setup is: One passive provider wagon with 4 stacks of 50 wood. One requester chest asking for 20k wood (so it will take everything from the wagon).
I also have all the logistic cargo size mods researched so one bot can carry 4 units.

If I place one bot it will move all the units as expected and the requester chest will have the 4 stacks of 50.
If I repeat the same test with 50 bots (starting with 4*50 in the train) they will magically multiply the value and I will wind up with 21 stacks (a bit over 1k wood).

Inversely, the opposite happens when sending to a requester wagon. If I let one bot move 4 stacks it works just fine.
If I let 50 bots move the 4 stacks into the train I only get 16 wood in the wagon, from 200 in the chest, a magical disappearance.

EDIT:
gnz wrote:Is there any problem with the folder not having the version number btw? I was under the impression only the zip needed to have correct number.
I don't know if it works in the zip but if anyone wants/needs to extract the mod they then have to add the version on the end on the folder. (Every other mod I've DLed keeps the version on the folder in the zip, whether or not it's for this reason I'm unsure.)

EDIT 2: (Feature Request)
The tanker/liquid mod doesn't constantly move the entity/proxy and only places it once the train cones to a complete stop. That could be quite helpful here to avoid 'flickering' and to prevent bots from chasing after a moving train.

gnz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnz »

MasterBuilder wrote:Now that the I can use the wagons I'm seeing another issue.
Setup is: One passive provider wagon with 4 stacks of 50 wood. One requester chest asking for 20k wood (so it will take everything from the wagon).
I also have all the logistic cargo size mods researched so one bot can carry 4 units.

If I place one bot it will move all the units as expected and the requester chest will have the 4 stacks of 50.
If I repeat the same test with 50 bots (starting with 4*50 in the train) they will magically multiply the value and I will wind up with 21 stacks (a bit over 1k wood).

Inversely, the opposite happens when sending to a requester wagon. If I let one bot move 4 stacks it works just fine.
If I let 50 bots move the 4 stacks into the train I only get 16 wood in the wagon, from 200 in the chest, a magical disappearance.

EDIT:
gnz wrote:Is there any problem with the folder not having the version number btw? I was under the impression only the zip needed to have correct number.
I don't know if it works in the zip but if anyone wants/needs to extract the mod they then have to add the version on the end on the folder. (Every other mod I've DLed keeps the version on the folder in the zip, whether or not it's for this reason I'm unsure.)

EDIT 2: (Feature Request)
The tanker/liquid mod doesn't constantly move the entity/proxy and only places it once the train cones to a complete stop. That could be quite helpful here to avoid 'flickering' and to prevent bots from chasing after a moving train.
I've fixed the error you found, should work in the new version uploaded in the parent.

Apparently the migration script doesn't know about non-existing previous technologies so I unfortunately can't check if the previously named technology is completed. Hence, it needs to be researched again unfortunately.

I'm not sure about the only placing the proxy when it's not moving. I intentionally changed the proxies to be moving around like this since it made more sense to me. I know that there previously was an issue of the robots chasing down the player if the player ran away in a car but that was fixed in 10 or 11. I assume that fix applies here as well so if the train leaves the logistic area then the robots will give up, but perhaps I should test this some more.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

gnz wrote:I've fixed the error you found, should work in the new version uploaded in the parent.

Apparently the migration script doesn't know about non-existing previous technologies so I unfortunately can't check if the previously named technology is completed. Hence, it needs to be researched again unfortunately.

I'm not sure about the only placing the proxy when it's not moving. I intentionally changed the proxies to be moving around like this since it made more sense to me. I know that there previously was an issue of the robots chasing down the player if the player ran away in a car but that was fixed in 10 or 11. I assume that fix applies here as well so if the train leaves the logistic area then the robots will give up, but perhaps I should test this some more.
Thanks for the fix. I did notice another issue or two but have yet to determine how to reproduce. I'll play with it later and see what happens.

My reason for not moving the proxy is simple. Once a train starts moving there's a snowballs chance in hell that a bot is going to catch it. Even if they 'give up' at some point it's a waste to have them chase it at all.

gnz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnz »

MasterBuilder wrote:
gnz wrote:I've fixed the error you found, should work in the new version uploaded in the parent.

Thanks for the fix. I did notice another issue or two but have yet to determine how to reproduce. I'll play with it later and see what happens.

My reason for not moving the proxy is simple. Once a train starts moving there's a snowballs chance in hell that a bot is going to catch it. Even if they 'give up' at some point it's a waste to have them chase it at all.
Yeah, I agree. I thought it be nice but I'm starting to think that putting them off the logistics network until it slows down or something similar is the better solution. I'll see if I can do it as a flag or how I'll do it but I also want to update the graphics.

SKleen75
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.x] Logistics Wagons 0.1.2

Post by SKleen75 »

Hi

I can not find the actual entity (Small selection box) to interact with it.

I use the 0.1.2. That is the actual version, right?

Greedings
SKleen75
YuokiTani Fanboy.

gnz
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.x] Logistics Wagons 0.1.2

Post by gnz »

SKleen75 wrote:Hi

I can not find the actual entity (Small selection box) to interact with it.

I use the 0.1.2. That is the actual version, right?

Greedings
SKleen75
Are you using 11.16 by any chance? They changed the behaviour of selections slightly and that means that the requester chest wasn't highlighted. I've done a small change to this so that it's at least selectable but it was kind of better the way it was tbh but not much to do about that.

I'll probably be releasing a new version later today since I've refactored the code to something more manageable and I only have migration scripts to do before I'll release it.

gnz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnz »

MasterBuilder wrote: EDIT 2: (Feature Request)
Since i refactored the code then I could easier do changes, so I have changed the behaviour back to this. To be honest, I might add a remote call to change it to player preference if that would be something people are interested in.

Rens2Sea
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.16] Logistics Wagons 0.2.0

Post by Rens2Sea »

Got a little bug.

Happens sometimes when a train (electric (5dim)) with requester wagons stops at a station.

Partly fixed it by changing line 57 in requesterwagon.lua from:
if self.proxy ~= nil and self.requestSlots ~= {} then
To:
if self.proxy ~= nil and self.slots ~= nil and self.requestSlots ~= {} then
This ONLY fixed the crashing, the request wagons lose the set logistics though, so they become useless :(
Please fix, my entire factory has been designed with requester wagons in mind.

EDIT: This was dumb, there isn't even a self.slots variable. Nevermind me, tired... :oops:

Return to “Mods”