Too much petroleum gas

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Too much petroleum gas

Post by Alien_Squasher »

fractalman wrote:
Alien_Squasher wrote:What'd I do if I were you is install black market. It allows you to sell resources you produce too much of for ingame currency (U) that you can then buy other things with using special tanks and chests for items/liquids, making factorio a HELLUVA LOT SIMPLER...... Like seriously..... with bob's mods when you get into this game black market is pretty much required if you don't wanna have to have a storage planet instead of a factory..... :|
Why would you need a ton of storage with bob's mods? The only things that behave really oddly that I know of are sulfur, for which you need a couple tanks for a sulfur product so you can wire them up to the circuit network and switch between the "lots of sulfur" refining option and a low or no-sulfur cracking when you've got plenty, and sodium hydroxide, which you will simply have far too much of. Anything else, and it's a tradeoff between complexity vs efficiency... e.g. advanced copper processing and the cobalt byproduct you won't need much of; going after the more complex route is your choice, and how you deal with the complexity (whether through clever use of circuits or just slapping down tons of chests to store the byproducts) is up to you.

Angel's mods are another story.
Because this allows you to buy things like steel by selling a high end product so it allows you to fix problems in your supply chain.
Hi. I kill Aliens :D

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy states that when dealing with complex machinery of any sort the first step is: do not panic. If you can do this you're well on your way to being a grade A excuse for an engineer.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Yeah but to me that's just cheating. If your supply chain was solid from the start you wouldn't have a problem, and if it's not solid now you should do something about it. Black Market encourages you to alleviate problems but leave them there. Also as far as I've seen it's pretty easy to obtain technology (such as the power armour, or components for it) quite easily without having to go through the relevant production chains. Also what's to stop you flooding it with 'free' products such as those derived from water (including wood)?
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Alien_Squasher
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Alien_Squasher »

DaveMcW wrote:Most petroleum gas should be turned into plastic and then advanced circuits.
Meh. If you're selling circuits and petroleum and crude oil, you should soon have hundreds of millions of credits, which means you can basically just buy everything. But if you really wanna go true factorio no trade then use advanced processing for plastic, and basic for lube/power production. Light oil is useful for two things, electricity and cracking it to petrol. If you install KS power you have diesel engines which pump out a good 2.0 MW/unit. which puts your excess light oil and petrol to use. So here's my solution:

1. Install KS power

2. Set up a plastic and Sulfuric acid advanced oil processing area and crack everything to petrol.

3. Set up a basic oil processing area for lube/diesel production, sourcing extra petrol from the plastic area as needed because diesel takes lots of petrol and light oil.

4. Look at the ingredients for the various acids you need (other chemical components) and have dedicated oil processing areas for light oil, heavy oil, and petrol. then just send in whatever other resources you need via belt/bot and bam problem solved.

People often don't do a ton of cracking, I find it's quite useful and takes away the need for super precise petrochemical setups that are based off hard ratios, and instead makes the only limitation how much the pipes you're using can carry at one time.
Hi. I kill Aliens :D

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy states that when dealing with complex machinery of any sort the first step is: do not panic. If you can do this you're well on your way to being a grade A excuse for an engineer.

Return to “Gameplay Help”