Space exploration, what is needed?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
durid1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Space exploration, what is needed?

Post by durid1 »

I've seen a lot of posts about launching spaceships gameplay for Factorio, but I'm not sure what I need to do to enable this mode. Install certain Mods? Complete a whole game? Start with a certain game mode?

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Space exploration, what is needed?

Post by Pi-C »

Start the game, click on the "Mods" button in the main menu, switch to the "lnstall" tab, and search for Space exploration. This will pull in some other mods that are required by the main mod.

As far as I know, the part of going into space is quite late in the game, after you've launched your first rocket. But I've never played it myself (just loaded SE to debug problems with my mods), so if you have any more specific questions, you'd better ask others! :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

You might have a look here to see a list of official mods as well as unofficial-but-recommended ones:

https://spaceexploration.miraheze.org/w ... ended_Mods

Some of them you may need to play around with to understand how they work. Auto Trash, for example, I find invaluable for switching logistics requests based on task or planetary context, but it takes a bit of experimentation to get the hang of it.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

Easiest might be to install the official mod pack, but just installing the Space Exploration mod itself is also perfectly fine.
Pi-C wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:27 am
As far as I know, the part of going into space is quite late in the game
It's earlier than that, I think it's now after blue science that you can go to space using a Cargo Rocket. Spaceships will then require some space technologies researched though.
Or maybe if you explore a little you might find an abandoned spaceship to use
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby

Return to “Gameplay Help”