Poor Planning...

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Tyr4el
Inserter
Inserter

Poor Planning...

Post by Tyr4el »

When you find that you've poorly planned for future operations, do you start over or pick up whatever you need to fix and replace it? I feel that depending on how messed up it is, starting over would look like a good option, but should I just stick it out and pick everything up and place it back down? We didn't plan properly and are running into iron problems and science production problems and green circuit production problems and gear wheel production problems...it goes on and on. Probably poor placement of everything, really. If I could post a screenshot, I would...

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Poor Planning...

Post by starholme »

Most of the time, I find that just leaving the old base alone and building a new one beside it is easiest. Later if I want the space for something I might tear it down.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

I don't like to restart so i always rebuild it bigger and better.
probably rebuilt my whole base a few times before i was happy with it, but i see no reason to start over just because i don't have enough iron.
I already have a small industry so i feel it makes more sense to rebuild it better somewhere else instead of restarting. What's even better is that drones make it super fun and easy to change or make a new base with a different design.
Waste of bytes : P

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Depends really just on how you want to play, what you get enjoyment from and well, how bad you messed up. :p

If you can fix most the issues with either adding on better setups alongside them, or redoing your belt layout in some places, or just upgrading your smelting, then I say stick with it. But if it seems like just too much of a hassle to fix everything, and would take tons of time then I would say restart.

I have done about 8-10 play throughs so far, simply because I keep coming up with better ways to do things, and just find it easier to start over and do it right from the get go, rather than redoing everything I have already made.
So I mean my suggestion is just think it over, look at what would need changing and redoing, and if it just seems like too much of a pain to redo it all, start over and then do it the way you want from beginning. :)
Image Image Image

Tyr4el
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tyr4el »

Xterminator wrote:Depends really just on how you want to play, what you get enjoyment from and well, how bad you messed up. :p

If you can fix most the issues with either adding on better setups alongside them, or redoing your belt layout in some places, or just upgrading your smelting, then I say stick with it. But if it seems like just too much of a hassle to fix everything, and would take tons of time then I would say restart.

I have done about 8-10 play throughs so far, simply because I keep coming up with better ways to do things, and just find it easier to start over and do it right from the get go, rather than redoing everything I have already made.
So I mean my suggestion is just think it over, look at what would need changing and redoing, and if it just seems like too much of a pain to redo it all, start over and then do it the way you want from beginning. :)
I'd really like to play with you sometime. I've seen your vids and I really enjoy watching you play. Are you free this weekend at all? I'll host the game and everything. I read a YouTube comment of yours that you aren't so good at setting Multiplayer up, so let me do it :)

Or maybe that last part was someone else's video but still. I liked your videos haha. PM me if you're interested and thanks for the advice!

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Hey, yeah I will reply to your PM and hopefully we can work something out. :)
Thanks for the compliment on my videos, it really makes me happy when I hear people enjoy them!
Haha yeah that was me who said that. It is really kind of embarrassing... I know how to see everything up for it as I have done similar processes with other games, but I have somehow managed to lock myself outside of my router... :lol: So yeah would be great if you set it up.
Image Image Image

roothorick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by roothorick »

When I run into an issue like this, I rebuild the factory in small pieces. If there isn't enough space to build a more appropriate design to what I need now, I'll pick up the whole assembler block and move it somewhere else, the idea being that the things that crowded it out now themselves have room to improve. Most of the time, I find that the issue isn't as big as I thought.

Except for running out of iron or copper. Oh lord. Things can slow to a halt as I try to build out new mines and get more trains going. Coal is usually not an issue as I generally rush for solar.

The only time I'll abandon a save entirely is when I feel I've been beaten into a corner by the natives and don't have the resources to mount a meaningful counterattack. It is possible to irrevocably screw yourself through poor planning. I've done it.

Return to “Gameplay Help”