Frontline Logistics Supply

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
3LollipopZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Frontline Logistics Supply

Post by 3LollipopZ »

Hey All

Sorry for another stupid question, but I can't find the answer :(

How do people distribute from a central supply out to the frontlines?
ie: how do you distribute into the logistics network rail, repair, walls, turrets, power?

by the time my robots fly from central or my mini bases, the templates run out.
I used to run a requestor chest into a provider or storage chest, but with smart inserters + counters + extra non-logistic network chests as a work around.
*edit* (like this http://imgur.com/wwUvCUq)

My killer is repair kits, as it's not the closest robot to the kit that is activated, it's the closest robot to the problem (which I find an inefficient bug to be honest, but it does help to keep my bots distributed across my network)

I'm sure there is a simple answer that I'm missing.... I just don't use the search feature well enough...
Last edited by 3LollipopZ on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Frontline Logistics Supply

Post by jeroon »

I split up my logistic networks, placing them really close together, but just outside connecting distance. Then at the edge of the main network i place requester chests for walls, turrets and repair kits, with inserters bridging the 2 networks. The inserters output to passive provider chests in the outer network, that supply only a small part (say north-eastern part of my walls) of my base.

(I will make a screenshot tonight to clarify, at work atm ;))

Outposts are connected with trains, and self-powered, and every train has an extra wagon with walls, turrets and repair kits.

3LollipopZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by 3LollipopZ »

Yeah, I have done that a couple of times, but didn't want to split the networks if I didn't have to. I have used this for specific tasks in my main base that only supply a particular product.
I don't like it because I haven't got one authoritive source of supply information (it's just something about it that bugs me... ).

Surely there is a way to keep the same logistics supply network and prioritise where items need to be sitting.
Storage chests having a lower priority to supplying requestor chests than provider chests, but same priority when it comes to using the products for outside activities.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

3LollipopZ wrote:Yeah, I have done that a couple of times, but didn't want to split the networks if I didn't have to. I have used this for specific tasks in my main base that only supply a particular product.
I don't like it because I haven't got one authoritive source of supply information (it's just something about it that bugs me... ).

Surely there is a way to keep the same logistics supply network and prioritise where items need to be sitting.
Storage chests having a lower priority to supplying requestor chests than provider chests, but same priority when it comes to using the products for outside activities.
There isn't currently a way to achieve this without breaking into smaller subnetworks. Normally those things get's delivered by train systems to the outposts. Depending on your layout, it's better to split up the network (which is normally better!) or to get a train, and go delivering it's items to random Storage Chests along the network's frontline, since now bots prioritize closer stuff instead of being random.

Return to “Gameplay Help”