Computational Efficiency: Do Requestor Chests Eat CPU cycles

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
GenericKen
Inserter
Inserter

Computational Efficiency: Do Requestor Chests Eat CPU cycles

Post by GenericKen »

I'm trying to build the largest factory I can before my computer melts. The 0.12 patch has really helped with that, but I'm looking at making tradeoffs for convenience.

Once a requestor chest is full and stays full, does it still eat system resources? I'd like stacks of rails and electric miners delivered automatically to each new cell of the factory as it grows, but I'd rather not have to deconstruct them each time I grow past them.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Computational Efficiency: Do Requestor Chests Eat CPU cycles

Post by daniel34 »

I don't think that requester chests are using a lot of CPU cycles, especially when they're full and have no outstanding delivery to them.
Should you have problems with full requester chests and performance, you don't need to deconstruct them. Just quick-replace them with steel/smart chests, they are not part of the logistic network and shouldn't cause any CPU cycles, except when you interact with them in some way.

I've built factories with 5000+ robots and several requester chests for each item available in vanilla and I didn't experience any slowdowns in 0.11.x.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

GenericKen
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Computational Efficiency: Do Requestor Chests Eat CPU cycles

Post by GenericKen »

Thanks, but I'm looking at something on the order of 30000-50000 robots and my computer's a bit old, so I'd like to squeeze out every bit I can. =)

Return to “Gameplay Help”