Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Tertius »

Astrolink127 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:55 am
The issue that I am running into is I create a creative world build something more specifically a nuclear reactor copy it with the copy string function and now I’m trying to paste it in my FreePlay world.
If you speak of using blueprints on the Switch version only, not transfer blueprints from desktop to Switch or vice versa, this is what you should do if you want to create a blueprint in one of your saves, then use this blueprint in a different, newly created save:
If you create a blueprint and save it, it becomes a blue item in your inventory. Click it to have it as item in your hand, then open the blueprint library (screenshot of this posted fishycat) and choose the "My Blueprints" tab. Click into a field to drop the blueprint there. Now start your new game, open the blueprint library and you will find your new blueprint from that other save. This tab is shared across every map/save you create.

Don't create that encrypted text output of a blueprint. It's meant for posting it somewhere, for example here in the forum. For just sharing a blueprint across saves, use the blueprint library. Also see https://wiki.factorio.com/Blueprint_library

Astrolink127
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Astrolink127 »

Tertius wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:07 pm
Astrolink127 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:55 am
The issue that I am running into is I create a creative world build something more specifically a nuclear reactor copy it with the copy string function and now I’m trying to paste it in my FreePlay world.
If you speak of using blueprints on the Switch version only, not transfer blueprints from desktop to Switch or vice versa, this is what you should do if you want to create a blueprint in one of your saves, then use this blueprint in a different, newly created save:
If you create a blueprint and save it, it becomes a blue item in your inventory. Click it to have it as item in your hand, then open the blueprint library (screenshot of this posted fishycat) and choose the "My Blueprints" tab. Click into a field to drop the blueprint there. Now start your new game, open the blueprint library and you will find your new blueprint from that other save. This tab is shared across every map/save you create.

Don't create that encrypted text output of a blueprint. It's meant for posting it somewhere, for example here in the forum. For just sharing a blueprint across saves, use the blueprint library. Also see https://wiki.factorio.com/Blueprint_library
Thank you this is very helpful and the answer to my problem. If it wasn’t obvious, I am relatively new to factorio so, thank you very much! :D

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Astrolink127 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:43 pm
Thank you this is very helpful and the answer to my problem. If it wasn’t obvious, I am relatively new to factorio so, thank you very much! :D
Welcome to the game! Some misunderstanding on your part might result from the blog mentioning for sharing blueprints you use the "Game Blueprints" tab of the blueprint library. However, this is a completely different "sharing": it's a description how you share blueprints from the desktop version of Factorio with the Switch. Not for re-using blueprints on the Switch with a new savegame as you wanted.

As explanation where blueprints can be saved and who can access them (remember, Factorio can be multiplayer):
1. Your inventory: A blueprint is an item. If placed in your inventory, it can be accessed by you and is saved along your inventory of your current map. It's part of the save.
2. Blueprint library tab "Game Blueprints": A blueprint saved here can be accessed by you and by every other player in a multiplayer game joined in the current save. It's for sharing blueprints across players in multiplayer mode. It's part of the save.
3. Blueprint library tab "My Blueprints": A blueprint saved here can be accessed only by you, independent from the current game. It's not part of the save, but stored as extra library file on the device you're using. So if you change your device, you need to copy this library to your new device, if you want to have it available. Steam syncs this for desktop, and the Switch blog explains how to "misuse" a multiplayer game to copy a blueprint from "My Blueprints" on one device to "Game blueprints" of a multiplayer game, then move to the Switch, join that multiplayer game, then copy the blueprint from that "Game Blueprints" to your local "My Blueprints" library.

Blueprints can be moved freely between these 3 locations.

Another big advantage of using one of the blueprint library tabs is that blueprints stored there don't use up precious inventory space. The blueprint library has infinite space.

Astrolink127
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Astrolink127 »

Tertius wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:11 pm
Astrolink127 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:43 pm
Welcome to the game! Some misunderstanding on your part might result from the blog mentioning for sharing blueprints you use the "Game Blueprints" tab of the blueprint library. However, this is a completely different "sharing": it's a description how you share blueprints from the desktop version of Factorio with the Switch. Not for re-using blueprints on the Switch with a new savegame as you wanted.

As explanation where blueprints can be saved and who can access them (remember, Factorio can be multiplayer):
1. Your inventory: A blueprint is an item. If placed in your inventory, it can be accessed by you and is saved along your inventory of your current map. It's part of the save.
2. Blueprint library tab "Game Blueprints": A blueprint saved here can be accessed by you and by every other player in a multiplayer game joined in the current save. It's for sharing blueprints across players in multiplayer mode. It's part of the save.
3. Blueprint library tab "My Blueprints": A blueprint saved here can be accessed only by you, independent from the current game. It's not part of the save, but stored as extra library file on the device you're using. So if you change your device, you need to copy this library to your new device, if you want to have it available. Steam syncs this for desktop, and the Switch blog explains how to "misuse" a multiplayer game to copy a blueprint from "My Blueprints" on one device to "Game blueprints" of a multiplayer game, then move to the Switch, join that multiplayer game, then copy the blueprint from that "Game Blueprints" to your local "My Blueprints" library.

Blueprints can be moved freely between these 3 locations.

Another big advantage of using one of the blueprint library tabs is that blueprints stored there don't use up precious inventory space. The blueprint library has infinite space.
Yeah, I see what you’re talking about. The blueprint library is very helpful. you also answered another question that I was having about the game blueprint Area in the blueprint library so thank you very much! :D

fairexd
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fairexd »

Good morning!

What factors can cause me to not earn achievement on *STEAM*? And is there any multiplayer factor that limits achievements on steam?

Thank you!

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Use of any mods precludes Steam from registering vanilla achievements. Note that some mods may add additional achievements. But these, being modded in, are kept track of elsewhere, not on Steam.

There are a few achievements that get disabled if you make biters easier than normal (default). Since turning expansion off is one of the hallmarks of the Railworld preset, turning expansion off does not prevent getting those achievements.

I have not tried multiplayer so cannot speak to that angle.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

fairexd wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:10 pm
Good morning!

What factors can cause me to not earn achievement on *STEAM*? And is there any multiplayer factor that limits achievements on steam?

Thank you!
You need to have played for at least 50% of the time on a multiplayer map to unlock achievements on that map. It's to prevent people from joining random games and unlocking achievements they didn't want.

fairexd
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by fairexd »

Silari wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:26 pm

You need to have played for at least 50% of the time on a multiplayer map to unlock achievements on that map. It's to prevent people from joining random games and unlocking achievements they didn't want.

Not sure if you can answer here but I tested just that I've been in a world since the beginning with a friend 4 hours ago we made the locomotive to test (the world was created by him) he won the achievement (both ingame and on steam) and I didn't win on steam... This would be some bug or something where can I turn to or how to solve it me and my friend are wanting to platinum the game together

platinum = 100% achievement

Nemac
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nemac »

Hi,
long time not played just need a push in the right direction:

I want import some Blueprints but i dont got the import Button ingame after "B"
has somthing changed there or what im missing?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Nemac wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:14 pm
I want import some Blueprints but i dont got the import Button ingame after "B"
has somthing changed there or what im missing?
It's a button on the shortcut bar.

Nemac
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nemac »

Oh lol.. found.. thank you :)

AceMcCloud
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AceMcCloud »

I've recently started playing on the Switch. Mostly, I think that the developers did an excellent job with the controls and user interface. Huzzah!!!

One thing that I found cumbersome is on the research panel. The box showing technologies available to research in the bottom left corner. Is there some command sequence for scrolling/navigating this box that I have overlooked? As near as I've been able to find so far, the only way to do that is with the scroll bar. Scroll bars are great on PCs but cumbersome on the Switch.

hreintke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hreintke »

Hi,

Uninteded I now have a grid visible on part of my factory.
Don't know how it was set, don't konw how I can reset.

Anyone knows hoe to remove the partial grid.
PartialGrid.PNG
PartialGrid.PNG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 2722 times

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

AceMcCloud wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:09 pm
One thing that I found cumbersome is on the research panel. The box showing technologies available to research in the bottom left corner. Is there some command sequence for scrolling/navigating this box that I have overlooked? As near as I've been able to find so far, the only way to do that is with the scroll bar. Scroll bars are great on PCs but cumbersome on the Switch.
When you have a tech in the bottom row selected you can scroll to the next row by pressing down on the left stick. Same thing works when you have something in the top row selected and press up. You may need to leave free cursor mode for this (press the right stick):

Attachments
2023-06-22 16-29-00.mp4
(3.04 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

hreintke wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:27 am
Hi,

Uninteded I now have a grid visible on part of my factory.
Don't know how it was set, don't konw how I can reset.

Anyone knows hoe to remove the partial grid.

PartialGrid.PNG
Looks like you’re using the Shortcuts mod. If so disable the grid shortcut in the shortcut panel.
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

hreintke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hreintke »

Looks like you’re using the Shortcuts mod. If so disable the grid shortcut in the shortcut panel.
Thanks that was the issue.

AceMcCloud
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AceMcCloud »

Bilka wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:33 pm
When you have a tech in the bottom row selected you can scroll to the next row by pressing down on the left stick. Same thing works when you have something in the top row selected and press up. You may need to leave free cursor mode for this (press the right stick):

Yes, leaving free cursor mode is the answer, thank you.

hreintke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by hreintke »

Hi,

Back to my factorio factory after an almost two year pause.
So moving from 1.1.36 to 1.1.85.

Looking ino the options for optimalizations that have been implemented in that period.

I know, in the last days, I've read about a possible one for inserters (I have aroud 32.000 of those).
It's something about the visible movement when choosing to pickup an item from the near of far side of a belt.
I then "just stays" above the middle of the belt, instead of also vibile moving to near/far side.

But.. I cannot find the description anymore, does anyone knows how to set this and/or the description of this ?

And, of course, any other improvements I missed are welcome too.

Nemac
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nemac »

Hey there,

When i place a blueprint can i make the bots only use part stored in the network and not from my inventory? Just uncheck the 'use personal logistics and autotrash" seems not to work.

thank you :)

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Nemac wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:17 am
When i place a blueprint can i make the bots only use part stored in the network and not from my inventory?
Disable personal roboports in shortcut bar.

Return to “Gameplay Help”