Oil Production problem

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
erndog1001
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Oil Production problem

Post by erndog1001 »

Hey all I've been playing now for about a month and I am absolutely obsessed with this game!! But I've run into to kind of a snag that I can't seem to figure out. I can't seem to keep any kind of oil production going. I've watched all kinds of videos and such.And I'm very careful to make make proper connections. So here's what happens. each time I set it up. Everything runs fine for anywheres from a few minutes to about an hour and then all of sudden it just quits or gets very very slow. Pipes read as full Tanks read at full But nothing seems to move? I hope I have explained this right. What am I doing wrong? PLS Help :(

Leveller
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Oil Production problem

Post by Leveller »

One of your outputs is full.

example. Full of heavy oil. Then the whole refinery stops.

Solution: Crack oil down from heavy to light. Or whatever kind you use the most. :)

Thread should also be moved to gameplay help.

erndog1001
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by erndog1001 »

Yeah Thats what Ive been doing. When I see all tanks full i just make something Even if I dont need it Just to keep the flow moving But it doesnt seem to help for long or not at all or very slow production after that

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

erndog1001 wrote:Yeah Thats what Ive been doing. When I see all tanks full i just make something Even if I dont need it Just to keep the flow moving But it doesnt seem to help for long or not at all or very slow production after that
Burn the surplus in the steam-boilers heaters instead of precious coal and run the locomotive's with it.

Zonk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zonk »

For first oil production i usually make lubricant from red oil and use many chemplants to make solid fuel from yellow oil (usually with a inserter and a chest and another inserter putting from first chest to the next chest depending on how lazy iam or how big i prepare to build i use around 2-5 chests just to be sure i dont have to care about untill i have advanced oils) Probably if you are a bit lazy you have to add a chemplant to make solid fuel from red fuel too (add a red wire to the inserter outputing solid fuel from red oil only if the lubricant tanks are 75%+ filled)

For advanced oilproduction i mostly start using at least 4 tanks for red/yellow oil and petroleum. Most used is petroleum! so i make a setup like 10 oilplants, 1 chemplant using red oil to make green lubricant (for blue belts its usually enough) then i have 4 chemplants to produce yellow oil from red oil (put a pump in the pipe that conects the chemplant and the red oiltanks add a red or green wire to all tanks and conect it to pipe with condition like red oil > 1000)

Then i use the same strategy with yellow oil to petroleum but i use like 1.x+ chemplants per oilplant so around 14. A good condition for the pipe is yellow oil > 500 or petroleum < (max tanksx 2500 -500)

Early on i used combinators to calculate need between red and yellow but since the only thing we realy always need is red for lubricant and petroleum i skiped combinators and base pumps condition on those 2 which works much better.

In the end remember teh values i use arent good becasue i like to have there a "overproduction" which can empty my full red oiltanks faster than its filled by oilplants same for yellow to petroleum. The circuit condition on pumps secure a regulation.

That way i never had a stagnation except from missing crude oil from pumpjacks.

grouchysmurf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by grouchysmurf »

Prior to advanced cracking: set up two / three refineries; for each, set up a factory producing flame thrower fuel. It happens that it needs 2.5 LO + 2.5 HO -- same ratio is yielded from standard cracking.

Once you have advanced cracking: 5 refineries, 7 chemical plants from LO to petroleum cracking, 1 chemical plant producing LO from HO.

You're set -- no need for tanks, fancy circuit logic, whatnot. It works and feels almost like cheating.

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

Yup, what grouchysmurf said :-). Build a 5:7:1 refinery setup (tiled as many times as required) and the gas will flow!

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

erndog1001 wrote:Yeah Thats what Ive been doing. When I see all tanks full i just make something Even if I dont need it Just to keep the flow moving But it doesnt seem to help for long or not at all or very slow production after that
If all of your tanks are full (assuming heavy, light, and gas are all full) then I don't understand the problem. It seems that you're producing just fine and you're consumption is just low.

Return to “Gameplay Help”