pressure my brains

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
H_Sage
Inserter
Inserter

pressure my brains

Post by H_Sage »

What's wrong with this ... ?
http://v66i.imgup.net/pipes6f87.png

PS have F4 this option? See the pressure in the pipes.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: pressure my brains

Post by daniel34 »

Simple answer: the entities supplied by the pipes on the left (-3.5) are using much more water than the ones supplied by the pipe on the right (-0.5), therefore the difference in pressure is higher.

Why do you need that much water (what products require it, refineries/chemical plants for cracking?) and are you not able to lay down a dedicated line to there? It would be much easier than using this amount of small pumps.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

H_Sage
Inserter
Inserter

Post by H_Sage »

Tons of boilers/steam generators. This is why i need UP pressure.

What this? Compare the top and bottom.
http://joxi.ru/D2P3MxvCo1NNm3.png

Why less pressure in the center than at the edges? As it rises or falls immediately on the next pipe? Why in one place evenly pressure drop and the other sudden pressure increase?

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

Honestly, the easiest and most comprehensible solution is to run one (separate) pipeline of water from one offshore pump to one array of 14 boilers. That way, you won't run into any issues as long as you don't have any cross-connections - it may be possible to feed two rows of boilers from one pipe, but I have always kept it to the simple rule of one power array = one offshore pump. You also then run one pipeline for each set of 4:7:1 refinery arrays.

Alternatively, you can use one of the mods which increases pipe capacity, but I haven't looked at those so I'm not qualified to advise :-)

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I always use one offshore pump per 10 steam engines and never let the pipes cross, it's so much simpler.

If you want to network it, blegh. Ten steam engines consume an entire pipe, so if you want two linked engine arrays there needs to be NO point between them and the 2+ pumps where the water only has a single pipe to flow through. So no + junctions. Personally I find this sort of thing too complex for too little payoff, unless you're intending to use a water tank to store hot water but I've never had reason to do that.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RoddyVR »

There was a thread around here long ago about how many pumps you need how often to pump how much water through a pipe.
IIRC 4 pipes was the lenghth that a bunch of small pumps could pump a LOT of water? then it dropped of very fast in the amount that would go through.
your sudden drop might be that 4 pipe mark. The presure to the "to ground" pipe is huge and is pusshing more water then your engines eat up, but on the "from ground" the effect of the 5 small pipes is less, and it crosses the threshhold that your steam engines are using, so they're effectively pulling water away. And you get the large difference in presure because before the underground there's more water being pushed into the pipe then is going out, so the presure builds up and after the underground there's more going out then coming in, so the presure spirals down.

Return to “Gameplay Help”