I hope it's not a feature

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
dyf123
Inserter
Inserter

I hope it's not a feature

Post by dyf123 »

Now I play the version 0.14.21. And I found the Inserter capacity bonus which the Non-Stack Inserter catch things from belt is not 1 now after upgrade the Inserter capacity bonus technology. It's different from instruction of the technology that it says it's effect for moving by machine/chest. It's very abjective that it's not like that at past.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: I hope it's not a feature

Post by Koub »

Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

dyf123
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dyf123 »

Therefore, the bonus typically only applies when moving from machine/chest to machine/chest, and not from machine/chest to belt or belt to machine/chest.
But it does not be effected for from belt to chest. It's a bug.

dyf123
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dyf123 »

dyf123 wrote:
Therefore, the bonus typically only applies when moving from machine/chest to machine/chest, and not from machine/chest to belt or belt to machine/chest.
But it does not be effected for from belt to chest. It's a bug.
If it's effect too, why I does not use Stack Inserter.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

Stack inserters have a much higher stack bonus - they can move up to 12 items at once, whereas regular inserters can only move up to 3 items (and the third level of upgrade is very expensive to reach, so for most of the game you'll only have them moving 2 items at a time).

When moving items to a belt, inserters will pick up several items and will then drop those items on the belt sequentially - this still takes longer than dropping one item, but because the arm doesn't have to move back and forth, the overall throughput is still higher. When moving items from a belt, the inserter will wait for a very brief time to see if another item is available on the belt (up to the capacity limit), and if so, pick it up as well. It only rotates to drop the items into the container once there's a "gap" with no item to pick up, or once it reaches the capacity limit. If you have a fully compressed belt, then the inserter will typically pick up the maximum number of items it can hold each time.

So, the explanation on the wiki is a bit misleading; the bonus is not as effective when a belt is involved, but it does still apply and in most circumstances it does increase throughput.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

I corrected the wiki page using the nice write up from torne :)
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

dyf123
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dyf123 »

torne wrote:Stack inserters have a much higher stack bonus - they can move up to 12 items at once, whereas regular inserters can only move up to 3 items (and the third level of upgrade is very expensive to reach, so for most of the game you'll only have them moving 2 items at a time).

When moving items to a belt, inserters will pick up several items and will then drop those items on the belt sequentially - this still takes longer than dropping one item, but because the arm doesn't have to move back and forth, the overall throughput is still higher. When moving items from a belt, the inserter will wait for a very brief time to see if another item is available on the belt (up to the capacity limit), and if so, pick it up as well. It only rotates to drop the items into the container once there's a "gap" with no item to pick up, or once it reaches the capacity limit. If you have a fully compressed belt, then the inserter will typically pick up the maximum number of items it can hold each time.

So, the explanation on the wiki is a bit misleading; the bonus is not as effective when a belt is involved, but it does still apply and in most circumstances it does increase throughput.
To effect a compromise then break a rule. As I mean, The feature of Stack inserter must be have a much higher stack bonus to pick items from belt or to belt. That must be regular inserters can't do that. Eventhought I need to fill the belt full or pick items from belt as much as possibly, I can use Stack inserter instead and I will upgrade my technology to do that. And The new feature will make hard to pick only 1 item easily with inserter, except not upgrade the technology.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=40708

I send the problem to curse this new feature. Yes, They can give back the solution, but it's not intuitional. One way use the limit of Lua's number and 2's complement, it looks have a hacked smell.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Also, you'll just have to be a little patient :
The game is still in alpha. Many of the things mentioned(train contents reading, basic train control, ability to set the stack size of an inserter) are done or to be done for 0.15. After we see how it works out and how players react, more will be added. Super precise control where everything works exactly as you want will probably never be possible, but I will try to go in that direction wile keeping the game fun and understandable for as many players as possible.
Source
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Gameplay Help”