Question regarding Base Layouts

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Khalysto
Inserter
Inserter

Question regarding Base Layouts

Post by Khalysto »

!!Greetings Programs!!

Pretty new to the free play (recently finished campaign mode [hate level 3])

Do you factorians find yourselves tearing down large portions of your base and reorganizing as your build and technology continue to evolve? I try to future proof certain layouts but I find that frequently results in staring at the screen blankly and doing nothing. It's easier for me to just start laying down buildings / transports, wiring it up and making it more efficient as time goes on.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

=Khalysto=
=Khalysto=

"My friends call me Hadouken cuz I'm down-right-fierce.

Rekhyt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Question regarding Base Layouts

Post by Rekhyt »

I do, and I think we all have to do this.
Since you have no underground belts, long-hand inserters, and other stuff, your factory at start is nothing like it will be few hours later.

You can try to plan everything in advance, but I guess it's quite hard..

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Many things you can future proof, but I think its inevitable to tear things down and improve things.

For example, the move from hand smelting to automated smelting it a fairly big one.

Normally I try to leave as much deconstruction as I can until I have logistic robots. That way the tear down and rebuild is much quicker.

I think the biggest thing is try to make things modular. Rather than constricting things on size, try to make it so that each production line can be expanded.

Khalysto
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Khalysto »

In regards to transport belts; when is it worth while to upgrade to faster belts? Obviously they move material faster, but if you have a large backlog in your resource delivery chain, why does belt speed matter? Is it a good rule of thumb to upgrade all belts to a faster version when the technology becomes available?

This question may seem obvious but I'm trying to feelers out to gain additional insight into game mechanics as I continue through my fledgling free play play-through.

Thanks,

=Khalysto=
=Khalysto=

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

I upgrade belts when I have the resources to do so without starving other parts of my factory. Since belts only require iron to upgrade, it is easy to tell when I have enough(lube is abundant and I always want to get rid of it).

As for why you should upgrade, I find when I have 3 or more lines feeding the same smelting system is a good time to upgrade, it spreads out the ore for all smelters to be in use. I have no idea if this is just my flawed impression visually or if this is an actual consideration.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Khalysto wrote:In regards to transport belts; when is it worth while to upgrade to faster belts? Obviously they move material faster, but if you have a large backlog in your resource delivery chain, why does belt speed matter?
Speed itself doesn't matter. But faster belts can feed more buildings before getting clogged.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Only time I use faster belts is if slower ones can't move stuff fast enough. E.g furnaces can't offload their produce as the belt is already full of stuff from other furnaces.
The actual speed of stuff moving on belts rarely matters, it's all about throughput.

Khalysto
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Khalysto »

Thanks. Your responses have been helpful. I also found some information about reducing slow down in turns buy adding a faster belt.
=Khalysto=

Khalysto
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Khalysto »

An optimization riddle here.

I want to merge the circuits, steel plates and copper plates into two belt lines so I can automate solar panel production. Any thoughts on how to accomplish this without completely retooling my set up? I was going to resort to smart inserters but I'd like to hear other ideas.
=Khalysto=

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Because you've got gear wheels and iron plates in those lines, you're stuck with smart inserters champ :D Unless you have a way of taking those two out thats the only way you can sort through the inputs and get the correct outputs.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Hmm, why overcomplicate things? You can put an assembling machine at the bottom of that screenshot, with an inserter for each belt, they will pick off the belts only what the assembler needs.

Dark
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dark »

If you're really want to split a belt, you can use a trick with underground belts, wiki explains that in details: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... anes_trick

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

In regards to your question about upgrading to faster belts, Khalysto, the reason to upgrade is usually that the normal ones just can't carry enough at a time. Normal belts can carry a maximum of 8 items per side. So say you had an iron smelting assembly with 8 furnaces on each side, and a normal belt down the middle for them to put the finished iron plates on, you would be fine. But if you decided to upgrade to say 12 or 16 furnaces per side, you would then need a red belt down the middle because they can carry twice the load. And yes, putting fast tracks on corners helps a lot.

Here is a quick tutorial video for setting up a very nice looking, future proof smelting assembly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGvXgP6lmLM
Also watching his most recent playthroughs of Factorio could help you a lot, it definitely gave me some insight into new setups. :D
Image Image Image

Khalysto
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Khalysto »

Thanks for the replies folks.

**Edit** Big thanks to Xterminator for the killer tutorial video. It makes me want to start a new game from scratch :-). I don't have room to create a furnace assembly like that now. :-(

And FishSandwich, total facepalm. I looked at the screenshot after your suggestion and went 'HURP!'

Your suggest in application works like a champ.

=Khalysto=
=Khalysto=

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Khalysto wrote:

:lol: Elegant. I like it.

Only downside, it caps the ability for that line to grow. Ironically, even though maps are infinite in Factorio I never leave enough space.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Khalysto wrote:Image

=Khalysto=
No problemo. :)
-root wrote:Only downside, it caps the ability for that line to grow.
Assuming there's nothing behind the assembler, underground belts will allow those resources to continue downwards. ;)

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Thats cheating. :mrgreen:

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

FishSandwich wrote:
Assuming there's nothing behind the assembler, underground belts will allow those resources to continue downwards. ;)
It's hilarious that you guys think there will be any resources left on the belt after it passes a solar panel assembler. :D

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

DaveMcW wrote:
FishSandwich wrote:
It's hilarious that you guys think there will be any resources left on the belt after it passes a solar panel assembler. :D
Its also quite amusing that you would let a solar panel assembler run wild and build continuously. The smart thing to do would be to limit production to 100 units or so. ;)

Khalysto
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Khalysto »

I kind of did limit it. I have the panels going to a box with all but the first two slots closed off.

Do you folks typically find it necessary to wall in your entire base or is it sufficient to create 'Turret Bunkers' in key locations?
=Khalysto=

Return to “Gameplay Help”