Long distance water

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Morltha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Long distance water

Post by Morltha »

Right then, time for another question.
I am building my second factory in an area with 7 oil spots, but it is nowhere near any water. The question is:
Do I need to put small pumps on my water pipes, or will it make the distance on its own.
Thanks guys!

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Long distance water

Post by Xterminator »

To my knowledge, liquids and pipes have no distance constraints, so you should be able to run it as far as you need to without a pump. All the small pumps do is push it in a certain direction, so mostly just used for oil and stuff.
But even without a small pump, the water should flow fine all the way. :) hope this helped.
Image Image Image

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Long distance water

Post by arl85 »

Yeah, for what I know water and other liquids simply try to fill connected pipe to the same level.

a single pipe can store 10 units of water; a storage tank is just a bigger pipe, able to store 2500 units of water.

offshore pumps insert 1 unit of water every tick (1 sec = 60 ticks = 60 units of water). This means that if you have 60 pipes connected after 1 second they will be all with 1 unit of water and after 10 second they'll be all completely full.

small (electric) pump instead moves 0.5 units of water every tick (30 units/second); you can consider it like an inserter, moving water 0.5 units at once.

This means that a very long pipe will simply take longer to fill itself
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

Return to “Gameplay Help”