Increase Difficulty Mid game

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Anexgohan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Increase Difficulty Mid game

Post by Anexgohan »

Hello,
Can someone tell me if there is a way to increase Biter density and richness mid game, In my current 50+ hour game if have almost reached end game but delaying it as i'm having way too much fun fighting Biters and destroying their nests, I've been doing this for almost 5+ hours.
I have reached a point where I have to travel a very very very long distance just to get sight of a new Biter nest and I was hoping if there was any way to re-spawn more Biter nests and increase there density and Richness to very high as a way to test my Base and myself.
Thank you all for any suggestions or help.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Increase Difficulty Mid game

Post by n9103 »

Well, if you removed all your outlying buildings, and stopped killing the biter bases, biters would repopulate the empty areas. If you shut down your raw production, but left everything else running until they ran out, you could set up for a very dense pollution boost when you hook up the raw resources again. Combine the two (with the boost coming after all the space has been resettled) and you'll get a good number of attacking waves.
game.speed = XX can help you pass the time while they resettle.

Beyond using the gameplay mechanics, I don't know if the settings can be easily changed mid-game.
If you really wanted to, you could go into the luas and change what settings your map's settings use (i.e. changing medium density to a value denser than very high density) but you would then have to go and explore new sections that you hadn't already.

Unless you've been using peaceful mode, there's no quick and easy fix for making biters harder for a long-term game.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Anexgohan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Anexgohan »

Hi, thank you for this i'll try what you say, which lua file should I mess with to get these results?

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

"<Factorio Folder>\data\base\prototypes\map-settings.lua"
I can't provide any support beyond that, as it wasn't useful enough to me to document, sorry.
If you can understand lua (or most any object-oriented language) then you should be able to find a few variables that would be useful to tweak.
I'm pretty sure expansion/spawning rate is hard-coded though.

Also, this may not be the only map-settings.lua you'll have to edit if you're using mods.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Return to “Gameplay Help”