YouTube Commentors

Discussion related to promoting Factorio.
CinematicChief
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

YouTube Commentors

Post by CinematicChief »

Hiya. I have a suggestion for getting this game out to more people.

I actually discovered this game from someone playing through it on Youtube. It's how I tend to stumble across most games these days. With that in mind, getting some YouTube commentators and "Let's Play"ers exposed to the game will increase visibility. Besides people recommending the game to them, posting it on the forums where they frequent should also work. I know the Something Awful forums and the Volton Army forums are two popular places.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: YouTube Commentors

Post by MF- »

CinematicChief wrote:Hiya. I have a suggestion for getting this game out to more people.

I actually discovered this game from someone playing through it on Youtube. It's how I tend to stumble across most games these days. With that in mind, getting some YouTube commentators and "Let's Play"ers exposed to the game will increase visibility. Besides people recommending the game to them, posting it on the forums where they frequent should also work. I know the Something Awful forums and the Volton Army forums are two popular places.
There was quite a lot of gameplay videos even during the Kickstarter days.
If you can spread the word, do so :)

I don't really remember how I got here anymore.

tonberrytoby
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tonberrytoby »

I discovered the game through the thread on SA: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=3533684

But I do think the game is not well suited to be LPed. Especially in goon style. You probably never will see an LP there. Even after release. FTL and Minecraft also never go LPed there.

There are some people on the VA who recorded factorio videos. Zemalf did some during the version 0.2 days, although I only noticed when I saw a station named after him. :)

CinematicChief
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CinematicChief »

tonberrytoby wrote:I discovered the game through the thread on SA: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=3533684

But I do think the game is not well suited to be LPed. Especially in goon style. You probably never will see an LP there. Even after release. FTL and Minecraft also never go LPed there.

There are some people on the VA who recorded factorio videos. Zemalf did some during the version 0.2 days, although I only noticed when I saw a station named after him. :)
It won't suit everyone's styles, but LPers can stumble upon it and decide for themselves. The point is more to get the name out there for people to look at. Every commentator has a different style and will attract a different viewership. Getting a few semi-popular commentators hooked on the game will ripple out to others considerably. I attribute the success of Minecraft to this ripple effect as well.

The only caution I have is to make sure there are enough things in the game to do to create a varied experience every time its played.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Didn't dinnerbone tweet about factorio during the indiegogo campaign?

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

MF- wrote:Didn't dinnerbone tweet about factorio during the indiegogo campaign?
he did.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Dinnerbone/s ... 7437224960

Eruyaean
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eruyaean »

I'm sorry to revive this thread but I don't want to create a new one with basically the same topic.

You see, I love the game and I think it doesn't quite get the attention it deserves. So what about this idea: the devs should contact totalbiscuit aka the cynical brit aka John Bain about a "WTF is...? " episode featuring factorio. He is a quite popular and well known youtubet who does first impression videos (and other gameplay videos). AFAIK he is also known to support indie-devs.

I really think you should give it a try :)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Eruyaean wrote:I'm sorry to revive this thread but I don't want to create a new one with basically the same topic.

You see, I love the game and I think it doesn't quite get the attention it deserves. So what about this idea: the devs should contact totalbiscuit aka the cynical brit aka John Bain about a "WTF is...? " episode featuring factorio. He is a quite popular and well known youtubet who does first impression videos (and other gameplay videos). AFAIK he is also known to support indie-devs.

I really think you should give it a try :)
Hello, thank you for the support.
We already tried to contact totalbiscuit during our indiegogo campaign. We got no response. We will try it again definitely, but after 0.8 and new trailer is out (along the greenlight attempt).

Eruyaean
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eruyaean »

Oh, Alright then, sorry for the bother :)

And i just realized that WTF is isn't even the right series, should be Alpha Strike :)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Eruyaean wrote:Oh, Alright then, sorry for the bother :)

And i just realized that WTF is isn't even the right series, should be Alpha Strike :)
I would just like to make sure, that it is not a bother, any hint where should we strike (and how) when the campaign starts is useful.

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

Also Day9 devotes fridays to playing and commenting various games, you should definitely try him also when it's the right time.

Zodsmar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zodsmar »

A good way to get publicity is yes through YouTube! You need a Youtuber who is dedicated to Factorio, who will do update video's on Factorio, who will do let's plays and someone who will do mod video's and basically will stay up to date with Factorio. Since I have found Factorio I have loved playing it! I am a Youtuber my self and I have just released a video about the 0.8.0 release and I also have a lets play going. I plan on continuing the Factorio videos and I am thinking about making Factorio one of the main games I make video's on. For those that are curious here is a link to my channel! www.youtube.com/user/Zodsmar Enjoy! Also thank you for making Factorio. I absolutely love the game and I can't wait to see what you will add next :D

rckymtnrfc
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by rckymtnrfc »

I just posted my first Let's Play of Factorio. I don't normally like to spam forums posting links to my channel/videos but this topic seemed like a good place to post it.

One way to help us YouTubers spread news of the game is to like and share our videos with others. Not only does this help out Factorio but hopefully it helps up pick up some subs. Win/Win!

That being said...here is Episode 1 of Factorio - http://youtu.be/1o33XbU0kzo. I'm a total newb to the game, so be kind. LOL

Aavak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Aavak »

:D Hi everyone,

As requested in the FAQ, I was looking for a way to contact the staff to let them know I'd recorded two Let's Play-like videos (as part of a first impressions series), when I stumbled upon this thread, which looks like the perfect place to post :)

The above image links to the first of the videos, which in turn has links to the second. The videos cover the early setup (up to getting an automated bullet production and some base defence) but focus mostly on the feel of the game, with a brief glance at the end at one of my current free-play maps to show off some of the later game technologies. Again, presented more as impressions or first taste videos rather than full Let's Plays.

Although these videos are already public, if anyone notices any mistakes I've made, please do let me know. I hope to record a full Let's Play of Factorio once I have the time (I came across the game through another person's LP, as it happens) so any tips or corrections now would be greatly appreciated :)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello, I already saw both of the videos and I really liked it.
One little thing, I saw, that you built power lines by clicking individual electric poles, you can build them by dragging.

Aavak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Aavak »

Oh, that'll make things a lot easier in the future! Thanks for the tip :D

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Also saw both videos and also liked them. Well done and thanks for mentioning the hedgehog, he is constantly having identity issues and this made him really happy ... :D

Nirahiel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nirahiel »

kovarex wrote:Hello, I already saw both of the videos and I really liked it.
One little thing, I saw, that you built power lines by clicking individual electric poles, you can build them by dragging.
Dragging ?
What ?
I didnt know that.

Also guys if i make videos myself would you watch them ? (in french :P)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It's cool to drive train while placing the poles. Pum. Pum. Pum. Pum. Pum....
Works also from car.

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... d_networks
At the end. Sorry, this is in progress. I currently remake railway docu, because I found it more important.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

ssilk wrote:It's cool to drive train while placing the poles. Pum. Pum. Pum. Pum. Pum....
It is even better to mass create that using blueprints pum pum pum pum. ..... ah you don't have it yet :)

Return to “Spread the Word”