[UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.4

Topics and discussion about specific mods
brab
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.4

Post by brab »

I have a question regarding electrical furnaces: compared to chemical furnaces, they smelt as fast, use as much energy, cost more and happen later in the tech tree. Do they have a use that I have missed (they seem to have fewer recipes than chemical furnaces)?

uzmn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by uzmn »

Hi!
Thank you very much for this great mod. I've spent a great deal of last week playing it. Awesome job!

I've chew to the point I want produce "nitrochlorbenzen" and I have no building to produce it (3 gases/fluids). Is it bug or I've overlooked something? Anyone, could you give me an advice?

Cheers. J.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

So Im curious how much work it will be to make this work with 0.12? Really cant wait, messing around with the WIP 4.0 NARMod release has been amazing.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

On the one hand, I have 0.12 now... but I cant play with NARMod on 0.12. I could download 0.11 again, but then I wouldnt be able to use all the cool new stuff in 0.12.

Pining for 4.1 NARMod release... :/

EurypteriD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EurypteriD »

In relation to my Lets play of Narmod.

I have just reached the t2 sience packs. And my factory is fugly.
Am very happy of the complexity of the mod. though it have taken me some time to find out the different things.

How is it going with the "Tech tree" for the mod?
If you supply me all the recipies i will happy start working on it for you.
Let's Play Youtube Channel

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

EurypteriD wrote:In relation to my Lets play of Narmod.

Am very happy of the complexity of the mod. though it have taken me some time to find out the different things.

Theres a program for that. I believe its called Foreman.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

I cant find the red wire and green wire recipes in any tab of the menu.

I see they have been assigned the subgroup 'storage' but I cant find that subgroup in the categories.lua file. Would that be related?

EDIT: actually I see it must be because I am blind and not in fact due to an error. My bad!

Nihth
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nihth »

So does NARmod work with 0.12? I assume it doesnt, any ETA on tbe new NARmod?
I waited to start up a new game for 0.12, but Factorio isnt the same without NARmod :P

I have big hopes for the new version hope it brings many good features ^^

EurypteriD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EurypteriD »

Blu3wolf wrote:

I have tried getting foreman, but no matter what version it keeps giving errors. When loading it up on 11.22 with narmod. no problems if i remove the narmod (in convo in his thread about it)
Let's Play Youtube Channel

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Sulfur Dioxide is in the wrong category (should be chemistry instead of chemical-furnace).

This caused it to not be 'made in' anything until I changed the category.

EDIT: Okay, clearly that isnt correct either, because that make it impossible to actually get sulfur dioxide in a new game (due to tech loop).

So it should still be the chem furnace, which brings up the question of what is stopping the recipe from working.

EDIT2: The chemical furnace has no fluid output pipe, but sulfur dioxide is a fluid. I guess if I add a fluid output pipe to the chemical furnace, that should work?

I dont know how to do that, but I can probably work it out by looking at other buildings which do have them. Thats not the worrying part though. Thematically, the chem furnace doesnt strike me as the kind of building which can process a gas. The chem plant would fit the role better. However, a chem plant cannot be built without first getting sulfur dioxide, so clearly sulfur dioxide should not be made in a chem plant.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

EurypteriD wrote:
Blu3wolf wrote:

I have tried getting foreman, but no matter what version it keeps giving errors. When loading it up on 11.22 with narmod. no problems if i remove the narmod (in convo in his thread about it)
could be due to the bugs in NARMod? I could see that kind of program not liking it if there is loops in the system, or if required products are unattainable.

EDIT:
Blu3wolf wrote:Sulfur Dioxide is in the wrong category (should be chemistry instead of chemical-furnace).

This caused it to not be 'made in' anything until I changed the category.

EDIT: Okay, clearly that isnt correct either, because that make it impossible to actually get sulfur dioxide in a new game (due to tech loop).

So it should still be the chem furnace, which brings up the question of what is stopping the recipe from working.

EDIT2: The chemical furnace has no fluid output pipe, but sulfur dioxide is a fluid. I guess if I add a fluid output pipe to the chemical furnace, that should work?

I dont know how to do that, but I can probably work it out by looking at other buildings which do have them. Thats not the worrying part though. Thematically, the chem furnace doesnt strike me as the kind of building which can process a gas. The chem plant would fit the role better. However, a chem plant cannot be built without first getting sulfur dioxide, so clearly sulfur dioxide should not be made in a chem plant.
This is the section of my furnaces.lua which made the recipe appear correctly, after copying a fluid box and making it an output instead of an input:

Code: Select all

-- CHEMICAL FURNACE

{
    type = "assembling-machine",
    name = "chemical-furnace",
    icon = "__NARMod__/graphics/icons/chemical-furnace.png",
    flags = {"placeable-neutral", "placeable-player", "player-creation"},
    minable = {mining_time = 1, result = "chemical-furnace"},
    max_health = 250,
    corpse = "big-remnants",
    resistances = 
    {
      {
        type = "fire",
        percent = 80
      }
    },
    fluid_boxes =
    {
      {
        production_type = "input",
        pipe_picture = assembler3pipepictures(),
        pipe_covers = pipecoverspictures(),
        base_area = 10,
        base_level = -1,
        pipe_connections = {{ type="input", position = {0, -2} }}
      },
      {
        production_type = "output",
        pipe_picture = assembler3pipepictures(),
        pipe_covers = pipecoverspictures(),
        base_area = 10,
        base_level = -1,
        pipe_connections = {{ type="output", position = {0, 2} }}
      },
      off_when_no_fluid_recipe = true
    },
    collision_box = {{-1.2, -1.2}, {1.2, 1.2}},
    selection_box = {{-1.5, -1.5}, {1.5, 1.5}},

module_slots = 3,
    ingredient_count = 8,
    crafting_speed = 2,
    crafting_categories = {"chemical-furnace"},
    energy_usage = "180kW",
    energy_source =
    {
      type = "electric",
      usage_priority = "secondary-input",
      emissions = 0.005
    },
    working_sound =
    {
      sound =
      {
        filename = "__base__/sound/electric-furnace.ogg",
        volume = 0.7
      },
      apparent_volume = 1.5
    },
    animation =
    {
      filename = "__NARMod__/graphics/entity/chemical-furnace/chemical-furnace.png",
      priority = "high",
      width = 131,
      height = 102,
      frame_count = 1,
      shift = {0.5, 0.05 }
    },
    working_visualisations =
    {
      {
        north_position = { 0.09375, 0.96875 },
        west_position = { 0.09375, 0.96875 },
        south_position = { 0.09375, 0.96875 },
        east_position = { 0.09375, 0.96875 },
        animation =
        {
          filename = "__NARMod__/graphics/entity/chemical-furnace/chemical-furnace-fire.png",
          width = 29,
          height = 19,
          frame_count = 12,
          animation_speed = 0.5,
        }
      },
    },
    fast_replaceable_group = "furnace",
    allowed_effects = {"consumption", "speed", "productivity", "pollution"},
  },

{
    type = "item",
    icon = "__NARMod__/graphics/icons/chemical-furnace.png",
    flags = {"goes-to-quickbar"},
    order = "c[chemical-furnace]",
	    subgroup = "alt-production",
    place_result = "chemical-furnace",
    stack_size = 5
  },

{
    type = "recipe",
    energy_required = 10,
    enabled = "false",
    ingredients =
    {
      {"iron-plate", 5},
      {"stone-furnace", 1},
	  {"storage-tank-2", 1},
	  {"pipe", 2},
    },
    result = "chemical-furnace"
  },

EDIT2:
pib wrote:I see :)

I found a problem with technology dependencies... The heat exchanger takes brass to make which is a problem because you won't be able to make brass without argon, because the zinc plate is made in a chemical plant.

Also, it is impossible to unlock the sulfuric acid recipe.

Okay, so I see I am running into the same issue you did.

The two solutions that appear immediately obvious to me are to either remove the arc welding electrodes ingredient from the chemical plant, or to create a low level heat exchanger below the current one, which is slower and does not require zinc in its construction.
pib wrote:I decided to change the mid sized electric-motor requirement in the heat-exchanger recipe to an air-compressor so that it can be made without sulfuric acid.

edit: but that doesn't really feel right, i just wasn't sure what to do to continue...
Im in a similar boat. Removing the arc welding electrodes would solve the problem, but it doesnt really feel like the correct solution.

Perhaps a basic chemical plant, which is slower and only has access to some recipes, is in order?

edit: I kinda feel like if anything needed the electrodes, it was the electrolyzer... but as thats needed right from the start with copper, its not really a feasible requirement, for them to need the electrodes. Im not really a fan of removing the electrodes from the chem plant though, because then that would leave the pumpjacks and the oil refinery as the only buildings to need them so far as I can see.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Im sort of liking another possibility here, which is adding in the pyrometallurgical process for zinc smelting... which would allow initial production of zinc for making the brass needed for the heat exchanger.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Okay, so I now have two ways to produce Zinc - the Electrowinning process, and the Imperial Smelting Process. Im not really a massive fan of how I have done it though, because normally the more complex electrowinning process is done to get really really pure zinc, and the less complex blast furnace process (ISP) gets 'only' 98% pure zinc, but can do larger quantities faster.

In the way I implemented it, electrowinning is a quicker process (though with more steps) and produces more zinc plates than the blast furnace does for a given amount of starting zinc concentrate. The difference being, that you can do the ISP process immediately, and the electrowinning requires argon first (because it needs a chem plant, because it needs sulfuric acid).

I need an icon for the zinc cathode item I guess. Its using Solder at the moment (placeholder obviously).

Now Id like to share the small modification Ive made, but NARMod itself does not list a license in its release post, and it is also a heavily derivative work, so I assume I would need to first secure the permission of damienreave, and in turn all the mod authors that NARMod built off of... would like some guidance in this matter.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

It is impossible to unlock the claus process - and thus, its also impossible to do anything with hydrogen sulfide recovered from natural gas. Notably, I cannot even evaporate it.

I guess its meant to be unlocked with Sulfur Processing?

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

@DamienReave - Sent a you a PR.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Im personally finding that I am not getting enough subsidiary ore from my frothing. Anyone else have this issue?

At this point Id probably settle for anyone else still playing the mod XD

Still Im finding that I dont get enough subsidiary ore. I can add more froth units and I do, and then I just cannot use all the steel and copper fast enough.

At the moment, to keep my tin and zinc production going, Im building steam engines and power lines.

I dont actually have any need of them. I dont have a train line, but I have several chests full of train tracks, and a chest half full of locomotives. Just making them to keep the production lines going and thus making more subsidiary ore that I need so badly.

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

Can someone with skills please update this mod for v12.3+
I gave it a try, but cant find the (nil value) error to correct it for the Science pack 1 recipe (nil value) error.
thank you

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Ive already done it, but Im not sure I can release the patch without permission from the mod authors upon whom the mod is derivative.

If you want to fix that error, go to the vanilla-replace2.lua file in prototypes and change the lines near the top (lines 7 to 10) to this:

data.raw["tool"]["science-pack-1"].subgroup = "data-pack"
data.raw["tool"]["science-pack-2"].subgroup = "data-pack"
data.raw["tool"]["science-pack-3"].subgroup = "data-pack"
data.raw["tool"]["alien-science-pack"].subgroup = "data-pack"

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

Blu3wolf wrote:Ive already done it, but Im not sure I can release the patch without permission from the mod authors upon whom the mod is derivative.

If you want to fix that error, go to the vanilla-replace2.lua file in prototypes and change the lines near the top (lines 7 to 10) to this:

data.raw["tool"]["science-pack-1"].subgroup = "data-pack"
data.raw["tool"]["science-pack-2"].subgroup = "data-pack"
data.raw["tool"]["science-pack-3"].subgroup = "data-pack"
data.raw["tool"]["alien-science-pack"].subgroup = "data-pack"
There is a forum post called - Unofficial Mods. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=120
where people can post unofficial updated releases of mods. Incase mod author goes on some long hiatus, mods can be kept alive so people can still enjoy them
Unless I am misunderstanding this whole concept. :P

anyways, :D Thank you for taking the time to fix the code
Last edited by Cooolaid on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

There is a forum post summing it up already - https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 25&t=14657

Im less worried about damienreave complaining that I updated his mod to 0.12 for him, as I am about the mod authors he based his work off of complaining that their mods specifically do not allow derivative work, which NARMod is.

Return to “Mods”