[UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.4

Topics and discussion about specific mods
TheDuke
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.4

Post by TheDuke »

I never usually make forum posts especially about Mods, but I want to say thank you, I learn games on my own, and most are way to easy for me to figure out and I stop playing after a few hours since I can usually do the calculations in my head and learn GUI's very quickly (I'm autistic) so I learn on my own from piddling :P This Mod has made me work harder and spend more time planning and figuring it out, just to let you know I just bought the game 2 days ago and I have already mastered it with mind, but this is taking me to the next level in this game and has preoccupied my mind.

Just wanted to say
Thank You ( damienreave)

The Duke

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

I love seeing the positive feedback for this mod. I'm still having a lot of fun with version 3.4 and I'm excited to see what the next version will bring. I will miss my current factory, but with so many hours into in already, I might be ready to move on.

I initially played on hard mode, but eventually the limited inventory became enough of a problem that it was no longer fun to work with. I edited hard mode to have 80 inventory slots, but I still do not allow myself any handcrafting. Incidentally, I have no problem making items in factories that take five items.

Nalshee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nalshee »

I cheer this mod very much I really love the realism,

for 5.0 I wish a realistic energy generation like coal power plants as multiblock / multi building structurs. This would be a very nice gain.

greetings
Nalshee

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Maybe that sounds strange but, you already have that, even if it looks other then expectet.
Your Steamengine/boilers are ecxatly that, a coalpwerplantmultiblock.
A Coalpowerplant works similar, burn coal heat water use water to spin a turbine.
In our case the Turbine is the engine.
And its a multibuilding/block seperate Boilers, pipes pumps engines.
Well you wish for something you already have , only it dosen't looks like it.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

Okay, I don't know how much time I'll have to work on this over the weekend, so I wanted to at least get something out before then. This has NOT been thoroughly tested at all, so no promises. Even when I do my best to test things, bugs have happened, and I've barely tested the new content. So... we'll call this an alpha release of 4.1. I won't update the main post until its properly debugged, but for now... feel free to use it if you want and let me know everything that's wrong with it.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zm2uc ... _0.4.1.zip

You'll notice we've gone back to the basics. Iron, Copper, Stone, and Coal (and Brine Pools, but more on that later). Everything else comes out of the 'tailings', or the other ores mixed in with the main ones. In real life, 90% of the metal in an ore might be iron, but the rest could be zinc or nickel, so you'd take whats left and put it through a secondary separation process to sort it out and process it. I've called it 'subsidiary ore', even though that's not a common term... I couldn't find a generic term for secondary ores in the main ore body. If you know one, let me know.

Anyway, all the less common metals are derived from subsidiary ore with the proper tech. Sulfur is optionally extracted from copper ore, as well as getting it from refining petroleum.

I know I'll get questions as to why you need oxygen to make steel. Most people think you need to add charcoal to iron to make steel... no! (I blame World of Warcraft, which had this inaccuracy in its crafting system). You actually need to take carbon out. See... iron exists in nature as FeO2, or iron oxide. Burning it with a source of carbon (called carbothermic reduction in industry, usually using coal or coke) will turn all the oxygen into CO2 and leave you with metallic iron. But during this process... extra carbon always gets mixed up into the iron. Some carbon is okay, but too much is bad... medieval smelting methods give way too much carbon and result in something called 'pig iron', which is basically the iron you use in game. Steel is just iron that has been smelted in a way to reduce the carbon content of the iron, which gives it many desirable properties (stronger and easier to work with, mainly). Easiest way of reducing the carbon content? Add oxygen, which will react to create additional CO2 to remove carbon. Of course, its more complicated than that in real life, but its good enough for the game.

You'll get crushed stone out of the various ore separation processes, which you'll use to get the various minerals that you need (quartz, limestone, clay, etc) out of a new building called the 'stone separator'. You can also just crush stone directly if you need more.

Then there are brine pools, which are pumped with pumpjacks just like oil. That's the new way to get brine water, and you can use it to make anything that needed brine before.

I took out kevlar... just way too much involved chemically speaking. Fertilizer got made more complicated though. Hopefully its an interesting system, but still not much purpose in it until 0.12 comes out from the devs so we have space travel etc, and I can add colonists.

Enemies-wise... basically I doubled the area you start with by default, since NARMod needs so many more buildings etc to get going. I also heavily reduced the evolution factor based on time. However, evolution due to killing biter bases has been doubled to compensate. Let me know what you think of the balance... I'm still tweaking it to see what feels right.

----

Nashalee - Basically what Takezu said. https://www.duke-energy.com/about-energ ... ed-how.asp Coal Power Plants are the very first thing you do for electricity in the game!

pib - It keeps me motivated too! I'm glad you were able to find a way to make hard mode fun for you.

TheDuke - Awesome! Its great to hear you're enjoying it. Thanks for the feedback.

boro - Thanks for your bug reports man. Nutrient solution has been fixed, and I ended up getting rid of kevlar. I'll take another look at the modules tech before the 4.1 release, I haven't looked into that bug.

orzelek - Should be fairly easy to do RSO compatibility now... just brine pools to deal with.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Nice idea on the corollary elements. True most ores are a mix with a high of one element which then becomes the namegiver, but the other corollary elements are seldom in worthless quantity. But i see a problem ... maybe minor but still there. Getten ressources from other ressources requiers a constant stream of that ressource. Let's say getting silver from copperore, what if your need for copper is low but your silver need is high. Storing it in ever growing chest arrays is an option but seems odd to me.

Nice one at the steel, seldom that it's made the propper way by reducing its Carbonconcentration instead of rising it.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

Takezu - You're right about this being a potential problem. Originally I had each metal assigned to a specific ore (the three main ones were iron, copper and tin, everything else came from those), and the problem you described was massive and very frustrating. I'm hoping with this system the problem is lessened, but I haven't gotten to test it. If you do end up needing to mine copper just to get the subsidiary ore, and you're storing the copper plates because you don't need them, then I'll need to ramp up the amount of subsidiary ore given. My back of the envelope calculations show this amount should be enough. but who can say.
Last edited by damienreave on Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Well that was only a slight thing thats sprung to my eye. How balanced it is has to be proven by testing.

TheDuke
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheDuke »

by damienreave I couldn't find a generic term for secondary ores in the main ore body. If you know one, let me know.
It's called Extractive Metallurgy, Extracting minirals from the base ore, here is the wiki page, I hope this helps. https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Extractive_metallurgy

The Duke

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

The workshop occupies a 2x2 space, but the graphic is for a 3x3 size. As such you can walk underneath part of it. As the burner assembler is 2x2 also I assume its just incorrect scaling of the graphic?
TheDuke wrote:
by damienreave I couldn't find a generic term for secondary ores in the main ore body. If you know one, let me know.
It's called Extractive Metallurgy, Extracting minirals from the base ore, here is the wiki page, I hope this helps. https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Extractive_metallurgy

The Duke
I believe he meant that he couldnt find a generic term for the ores themselves, not for the process.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Those "Ores" are what i'd call corollary elements. They aren't an ore by themself but rather a part of the ore itself.
Or Maybe someone with better englsih corrects me as i'm not really sure that i'm right, the word i mean is "Begleitelemente"

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

Blu3wolf wrote:The workshop occupies a 2x2 space, but the graphic is for a 3x3 size. As such you can walk underneath part of it. As the burner assembler is 2x2 also I assume its just incorrect scaling of the graphic?
correction: the workshop occupies a 3x3 size, the graphic is bigger again.

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

A minor thing, but the description for Extraction Technology still refers to the older method of placing a drill to get things like limestone.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

db48x - Good catch, I'll redo the descriptions. I think a lot of the concentrates are wrong too.

Blu3wolf - I think that's from back when I was trying to figure out how to make the workshop so you could go inside it and be visible. The game doesn't really support that though, I'll fix it.

Takezu - Google translate gives me 'associative elements' for the translation, which isn't really any better. Corillary is about as good as subsidiary... its just a matter of preference, since there's (afaik) no standard term.

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

I was expecting the crusher to be able to crush stone; instead it appears that I have to crush ore then float the iron/copper out of it to leave behind stone (and the secondary ores). Also, it feels weird to me that the stone separator produces only one type of material at a time. I expected it to produce a bit of quartz, a bit of limestone, etc for each crushed stone I put in.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

Whoops. The behavior you expected is right, the crushed stone recipe must be set to the wrong category. You'll also get crushed stone from froth flotation, but you should be able to crush the stone in a crusher as well.

As for the stone sorter to make all different types of rocks... its definitely possible, but you might end up with extras that you don't want and just have to store them. Maybe if I implemented a landfill type of building that got rid of unneeded rocks... hrm.

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

damienreave wrote:Whoops. The behavior you expected is right, the crushed stone recipe must be set to the wrong category. You'll also get crushed stone from froth flotation, but you should be able to crush the stone in a crusher as well.
Hmm; the recipe says category="crushing"...
damienreave wrote: As for the stone sorter to make all different types of rocks... its definitely possible, but you might end up with extras that you don't want and just have to store them. Maybe if I implemented a landfill type of building that got rid of unneeded rocks... hrm.
I'm ok with storing them; if I really don't want them I'll put them in a box and blow it up with a rocket launcher.

Nalshee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nalshee »

hey,
I just looked into the techtree and wounder about gold ore for molten ore,

is this a bug or not?

greets

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

Air compressors have water electrolysis in their recipe list :)

Edit: don't mind me; it's not enabled, so all is as it should be.

Blu3wolf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blu3wolf »

I see in the picture tutorial that when I get to aluminium production, I will get a waste product out of it. Is it possible that something like the Offshore Dump could be included with NARMod to allow us to deal with that?

Im also a little confused by not being able to crush stone in the crusher to get crushed stone. Is that a bug?

Return to “Mods”