Topics and discussion about specific mods
yareczek
Inserter
Inserter

[0.11.x] Letters MOD

Post by yareczek »

Welcome!

So...
I was missing some way to sign areas in factorio, unfortunately there is no signs in vanilla :( But I made letters :twisted:
letters mod.JPG
letters mod.JPG (16.25 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
Keep in mind this is initial release. One letter cost 1 wood. If you remove letter, you will get 1 wood back (not the letter).

Download:
Letters_0.0.1.rar
(85.11 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
Letters_0.0.1.zip
(94.81 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
Changelog:

Initial release
Last edited by yareczek on Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.x] Letters MOD

Post by Peter34 »

Can you please compress your mod as a ZIP instead of as a RAR archive? First of all, for Windows users ZIP archives a re a lot easier to handle than RAR, because recent versions of Windows have native support for compressing and uncompressing ZIPs but not RARs, and secondly Factorio itself, regardless of OS, can also automatically unzip ZIP archived mods during runtime, making it super easy for the end user.

yareczek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by yareczek »

Old habits with rar :P

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Thanks for the zip!

We tested this mod yesterday, in our weekly MP game (that's also why having a ZIP is nice - it means I could just send the file to the other players and ask them to put it directly into the "Mods" folders; both are tech-savvy and so would have been able to quickly uncompress a RAR, but not all Factorio players are like that, and coop MP Factorio should be a social experience available to many), and it seems to work fine, doesn't appear to cause noticable lag, at least from the 30-40 total letters I put down to label a few sections of our factory.

The main problem I have with this mod is that on the E keypress crafting screen, the contrast between the silver-grey letters and the grey UI background is very poor (e.g. making it hard to discern between O and Q). It'd be really nice if you could change the letters to some other colour, perhaps a lighter grey, even almost white? That wouldn't pose any problem during play, as Factorio doesn't have any kind of snow terrain, nor white sand deserts, but would help with using the mod.

The second problem is much smaller: It's a bit tricky to spot the difference between 0 and O, so it might be nice (and also give a somewhat retro feel) if you could change the 0 symbol to have an Ø-style slash through it, like many computer fonts used to have back in the 8 bit era.

Beyond that, the mod works very well. I'd really like a simpler and easier way to make signs (that's why I only ended up putting down 4 or maybe 5 labels total, in our huge factory - it's a lot of work, shuffling inventory around), instead of having to make one letter at a time, but for what your mod is, a very quick-and-dirty way of putting down markers, it's not bad at all (nor is it particularly dirty - it caused zero problems in MP).

Return to “Mods”