[MOD 0.17.x] WaiTex 1.3.5: A HD Texture Pack

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.11.22] WaiTex HD Texture Pack

Post by Takezu »

And besides, many scream for HD textures, but when the Graphic RAM needet is seen, many will gulp, heavy.
HD comes with a price, and i know for sure that my computer is one of many which can't handel the price, not even close.
Think the minimum 1GB Vram are only the begining, could be more waiting ahead.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Takezu wrote: Think the minimum 1GB Vram are only the begining, could be more waiting ahead.
It's indeed just the beginning. I Have to up the requirements and it will probably top at around 2.2gb. If your computer can't handle it then you can disable textures in my mod(explained how in OP) untill the requirements are at a reasonable level.

New Version
Version 0.4.0
-- Fixes compatebility with every mod(hopefully)
-- Added pumpjack
-- Added laser turret
-- Added basic accumulator
https://dl.orangedox.com/snDFe6fWFJ3dic ... _0.4.0.zip
Waste of bytes : P

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

I know for sure that my old mixer won't fit for that ;) so i don't even try.
I think "reasonable" lvl and better greater (HD)Textures exclude each other.
HD needs the GPU and VRAM for it and thats nothing everybody has.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Takezu wrote:New Version
Version 0.4.0
Really appreciating the hard work mate, don't stop now. :D

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Gandalf wrote:Yeah, you're not the only one who feels like a grandpa when watching people fight over whether GTA V is better on PC or console because of graphics.
There is no question that gameplay features should be a higher priority, but that doesn't mean graphics don't matter. And if implementing HD graphics were as simple as dropping in the new sprites and adding a handful of lines to get them running,that should be doable.
I'm not obsessed about graphics, but I would not have wanted to play early Factorio. The graphics and the item icons were simply too ugly. Cheap-looking. Current Factorio, ever since I started with alpha 11, is good enough for me. It looks like a serious game, a game I can take seriously.

Even nicer graphics would be good, and I am looking forward to the combat-bot-capsules getting improved graphics. But there is a threshhold for what I consider to be good enough, and Factorio is above that threshold, whereas a game such as Gnomoria with its tile-teleporting gnomes, is below it.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

FishSandwich wrote:
Takezu wrote:New Version
Version 0.4.0
Really appreciating the hard work mate, don't stop now. :D
Yes, it's very nice, even though I'm sure my graphics card will start complainig soon, as it only has 1 GB. But in a year or three I'll have a new computer with a better graphics card, and it's good to know that I'll be able to enjoy a prettier Factorio then.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I've seen shadows mod pack go into 1.5GB VRAM area on standard textures.

What you are doing is basically quadrupling memory required if I understand it correctly. It's not really sustainable long term since sooner or later VRAM limits will be hit for most of users :D I think there was a talk about texture compression but I'm not sure how it ended.

For me mod compatibility is required since I'm only playing with mods recently. After starting game without many of those it felt.. simple :D
And base graphics is on the good enough level for me. Sure it could be more crisp but I wouldn't put very high priority on it.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

orzelek wrote:I've seen shadows mod pack go into 1.5GB VRAM area on standard textures.

What you are doing is basically quadrupling memory required if I understand it correctly. It's not really sustainable long term since sooner or later VRAM limits will be hit for most of users :D I think there was a talk about texture compression but I'm not sure how it ended.

For me mod compatibility is required since I'm only playing with mods recently. After starting game without many of those it felt.. simple :D
And base graphics is on the good enough level for me. Sure it could be more crisp but I wouldn't put very high priority on it.
I understand that not all will be able to use this mod, but that is what you pay if you want to use good textures.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

i hope you keep it up, maybe someday i can throw an eye on it ... without chrashing into ultimo ;)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

What will actually happen, once the mod starts requiring more than the 1 GB that my graphics card has? I mean, I'm pretty sure my computer won't explode... But what kind of error message will I get, and when will I get it? Right when I start playing a new game with this mod, or only after I've played for hours and hours? Or how does this graphics memory thing actually work?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

afaik sprites are loaded at game startup. If you don't have enough VRAM, you'll get a "Impossible de load sprite" error message at startup.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.22] WaiTex: A HD Texture Pack

Post by Peter34 »

Will some of the sprites be a lot bigger than others? I'm thinking, if I disable Trains, and also some of the ones I don't use much, I might be able to continue using this mod for longer.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Peter34 wrote:Will some of the sprites be a lot bigger than others? I'm thinking, if I disable Trains, and also some of the ones I don't use much, I might be able to continue using this mod for longer.
There is definetly a size difference. Textures for all the inserters combined is not more than a few hundred kb while the diesel locomotive itself is 31mb. You can definetly keep using this mod by disabling the less used textures. For convenience sake i am considering uploaading a 1gb version of the mod with some of the textures disabled so people can keep using the mod.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

keyboardhack wrote:
Peter34 wrote:Will some of the sprites be a lot bigger than others? I'm thinking, if I disable Trains, and also some of the ones I don't use much, I might be able to continue using this mod for longer.
There is definetly a size difference. Textures for all the inserters combined is not more than a few hundred kb while the diesel locomotive itself is 31mb. You can definetly keep using this mod by disabling the less used textures. For convenience sake i am considering uploaading a 1gb version of the mod with some of the textures disabled so people can keep using the mod.
That would be super nice! I'm not going to upgrade my computer any time soon, so if you could maintain a 1 GB version, that'd be totally fabricationally excellent!

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

From what I looked (out of curiosity saved whole texture atlas - there is a lua command for that) things with animations are using a lot of space. And also cars and trains since they have a lot rotations present and each of them has separate picture in atlas.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

orzelek wrote:From what I looked (out of curiosity saved whole texture atlas - there is a lua command for that) things with animations are using a lot of space. And also cars and trains since they have a lot rotations present and each of them has separate picture in atlas.
Just for that reason, I suggest the proposed 1 GB version of the mod always exclude Trains and Cars/Tanks.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Peter34 wrote:
orzelek wrote:From what I looked (out of curiosity saved whole texture atlas - there is a lua command for that) things with animations are using a lot of space. And also cars and trains since they have a lot rotations present and each of them has separate picture in atlas.
Just for that reason, I suggest the proposed 1 GB version of the mod always exclude Trains and Cars/Tanks.
That alone should keep it under 1gb.

Ofcourse the most used items like belts, inserters, poles will be included but i would like to hear what else i should definetly include. Something like accumulators, labs, player, etc i am not sure if i should include.

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

A bit off-topic, but shouldn't this be in the texture packs section?
I have no idea what I'm doing.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

SuicidalKid wrote:A bit off-topic, but shouldn't this be in the texture packs section?
Good question i had a debate with myself on what subforum to place it on.
I came to the conclusion to submit it in the mods subforum, becausee it's a mod that changes textures and looking at this thread of the texture subforum https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 15&t=12455 then it looks like that forum is only for texture requests and submissions for other modders to use.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

keyboardhack wrote:
SuicidalKid wrote:A bit off-topic, but shouldn't this be in the texture packs section?
Good question i had a debate with myself on what subforum to place it on.
I came to the conclusion to submit it in the mods subforum, becausee it's a mod that changes textures and looking at this thread of the texture subforum https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 15&t=12455 then it looks like that forum is only for texture requests and submissions for other modders to use.
I tend to think of texture packs as 'skins', independent from mods and, thus, should create no conflicts. Texture packs should only provide alternate textures that supersede base textures.

I believe this does much more than that. If I read the earlier post correctly it has to modify images/items to accommodate splitting the textures. This is why I think it's more of a 'mod' than a texture pack.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Return to “Mods”