[MOD 0.17.x] WaiTex 1.3.5: A HD Texture Pack

Topics and discussion about specific mods
keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.22] WaiTex: A HD Texture Pack

Post by keyboardhack »

New version is out with a 1GB version with some textures disabled.
The two versions should be compatible with eachother in mp but i haven't tested it.

Notice
Please delete your cropcache.dat file in your factorio folder if you are experiencing any texture problems.

Version 0.5.0
-- Added lab
-- Added burner mining drill
-- Added player
-- Added wooden chest
-- Added steam engine
-- Added gun turret
Full version: https://dl.orangedox.com/wPOwg5N6qdNSyP ... _0.5.0.zip
1GB version: https://dl.orangedox.com/wgQ9MxnZie3qVy ... _0.5.0.zip
1GB version disabled textures
Waste of bytes : P

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

MasterBuilder wrote: I tend to think of texture packs as 'skins', independent from mods and, thus, should create no conflicts. Texture packs should only provide alternate textures that supersede base textures.

I believe this does much more than that. If I read the earlier post correctly it has to modify images/items to accommodate splitting the textures. This is why I think it's more of a 'mod' than a texture pack.
Yeah, this is definitely a mod, mainly because he has to modify the entities which hold all the sprite & animation information. It causes conflicts with 5dim's automatization because the mod changes the vanilla sprites due to their much larger size settings.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Yes! Been waiting for the steam engines and player!

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

vampiricdust wrote:
MasterBuilder wrote: I tend to think of texture packs as 'skins', independent from mods and, thus, should create no conflicts. Texture packs should only provide alternate textures that supersede base textures.

I believe this does much more than that. If I read the earlier post correctly it has to modify images/items to accommodate splitting the textures. This is why I think it's more of a 'mod' than a texture pack.
Yeah, this is definitely a mod, mainly because he has to modify the entities which hold all the sprite & animation information. It causes conflicts with 5dim's automatization because the mod changes the vanilla sprites due to their much larger size settings.
Tried with both mods at the same time and i don't see any conflicts. Can you tell me where the problem is? I do want to fix it :)
The bigger size texture sizes should not affect any mod as i am only replacing an items textures if another mod hasn't changed them already.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Factorio developers have original models in blender or whatever they use, wouldn't it be easier to render them again in higher resolution than using crappy photoshop filters on low res textures?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

cpy wrote:Factorio developers have original models in blender or whatever they use, wouldn't it be easier to render them again in higher resolution than using crappy photoshop filters on low res textures?
Devs plan to do just that for 0.13(iirc) This mod is the perfect substitute in the mean time.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

cpy wrote:Factorio developers have original models in blender or whatever they use, wouldn't it be easier to render them again in higher resolution than using crappy photoshop filters on low res textures?
Yes ofcourse rendering the original models would be the best solution and would produce better textures than WaiTex can provide, but it's probably not as easy and you think because they are not here yet.
I can assure you that i am not using photoshop(don't have it installed) and crappy filters. Instead i am using a program called Waifu2x to upscale images. Ofcourse it's subjective if they are good looking or not and the program does make mistakes.
Take a look at how it upscales a single sprite of a basic-belt. It might change your mind :)
http://i.imgur.com/wy85xnv.png

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

keyboardhack wrote:Tried with both mods at the same time and i don't see any conflicts. Can you tell me where the problem is? I do want to fix it :)
The bigger size texture sizes should not affect any mod as i am only replacing an items textures if another mod hasn't changed them already.
Huh, that's weird. Well, when I tried it before with I think 5dim's .2 version of automation, it give me an error about their being a difference in the size of sprite images being used. The image size in 5dim's mod was smaller than the size of the images from your mod and I couldn't get it to run. However, it does indeed work just fine now though.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

keyboardhack wrote:
Yes ofcourse rendering the original models would be the best solution and would produce better textures than WaiTex can provide, but it's probably not as easy and you think because they are not here yet.
I can assure you that i am not using photoshop(don't have it installed) and crappy filters. Instead i am using a program called Waifu2x to upscale images. Ofcourse it's subjective if they are good looking or not and the program does make mistakes.
Take a look at how it upscales a single sprite of a basic-belt. It might change your mind :)
Well it's better than factorio but it looks kinda futuristic style, i guess factorio is based on hard straights edges that can't really be rendered from low res sprites, but still how does train and assembler look in 16x scale? Might be interesting.

MiniMan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MiniMan »

Will textures come out for mods such as DyTech, F-Mod etc

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

cpy wrote:
keyboardhack wrote:
Well it's better than factorio but it looks kinda futuristic style, i guess factorio is based on hard straights edges that can't really be rendered from low res sprites, but still how does train and assembler look in 16x scale? Might be interesting.
Looking into the belts right now to see what i can do to their textures but they are very hard to refine. I will se if i can make them look more worn out so they fit better with the factorio theme.
As for new scales then i can't really provide them. A train with 16x scale would be 5536 x 3968 pixels. In the first post there is a link to a 2x scale of the train. You might want to have a look at that.
MiniMan wrote:Will textures come out for mods such as DyTech, F-Mod etc
I can't do that as i don't want to make new textures for every single mod out there. Instead it's my goal to allow mods to be compatible with WaiTex and thus allowing them to use WaiTex textures with certain items. I haven't made that possible yet but i will in the future make a post about it explaining it in detail. I believe this is the best way as it allows multiple mods to use the same textures thus lowering the vram requirements when multiple mods are installed.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Do it! Do it! :D
Overly ridiculous image size? PC MASTER RACE!

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

I would like to see more mask trickery done, besides marking player allegiances, on things like, say, Dytech or Bobs' upgraded plants, assemblers and miners. I know that masks can be applied on the basis of entity type, and on faction allegiance, but both at the same time? Hmm...

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Degraine wrote:I would like to see more mask trickery done, besides marking player allegiances, on things like, say, Dytech or Bobs' upgraded plants, assemblers and miners. I know that masks can be applied on the basis of entity type, and on faction allegiance, but both at the same time? Hmm...
WaiTex probably won't do anything fancy with masks as it's out of the scope of what this mod is supposed to do. I should be able to make WaiTex compatible with other mods that want to play with masks, layers stripes and such on any item and hopefully masks will be used more in the future.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or intentional, but you override the speed setting for basic transport belt to 0.0625, this makes it the same speed as a fast belt.

Edit: For anyone that doesn't want this change, this can be put back to normal by removing below line from the Base-Override.lua

Code: Select all

data.raw["transport-belt"]["basic-transport-belt"].speed = 0.0625

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

FishSandwich wrote:I'm not sure if this is a bug or intentional, but you override the speed setting for basic transport belt to 0.0625, this makes it the same speed as a fast belt.

Edit: For anyone that doesn't want this change, this can be put back to normal by removing below line from the Base-Override.lua

Code: Select all

data.raw["transport-belt"]["basic-transport-belt"].speed = 0.0625
Woops thought i forgot to remove some code. it shouldn't be executed though as the basic belt textures are disabled. I am sure it's not the only piece of dormant code in there. Check AllowedTextueChanges.lua to see if the code for a specific item will be executed.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Well, I and a few others did notice that the speed of the yellow transport belt was going too fast. Removing that line does indeed fix it and put it back to the speed it should be.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Yes sorry i am not home atm so i wasn't able to check it sooner. Removing that line as you said should fix it. I will update the mod as soon as i get home with a fix to this bug.

Fimlore
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Fimlore »

Ola,

I tried checking the other pages to see if someone already posted this issue, but the texture of my character goes weird when I hold no tool and start mining. As soon as I have a pickaxe, there is no problem, but the long stick doesn't seem to work.

Other than that: awesome mod, much cleaner vision now :)

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Fimlore wrote:Ola,

I tried checking the other pages to see if someone already posted this issue, but the texture of my character goes weird when I hold no tool and start mining. As soon as I have a pickaxe, there is no problem, but the long stick doesn't seem to work.

Other than that: awesome mod, much cleaner vision now :)
Try deleting you cropcache.dat file in your factorio folder. Factorio sometimes crop sprites wrong when the textures are changed for the first time.

Return to “Mods”