Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Marathon 0.5.4

Post by Blue_Lucario »

I will have to try this. :)

Wulfson
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wulfson »

FYI to any Marathon players interested in Bob's Mods: I've made a Bob's Add-on that bridges the gap between Bob's and Marathon

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 51&t=19475

By default, Marathon overrides some of the Bob's Mods recipes, and I've addressed that with this add-on. I've also increased some prices on the Bob's machines. I'm maintaining it separately for now so that I can work on the balance, but I've tried to structure my repo in such a way that it could be easily imported directly into Marathon later, if Afforess wants to do that.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

Wulfson wrote:FYI to any Marathon players interested in Bob's Mods: I've made a Bob's Add-on that bridges the gap between Bob's and Marathon

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 51&t=19475

By default, Marathon overrides some of the Bob's Mods recipes, and I've addressed that with this add-on. I've also increased some prices on the Bob's machines. I'm maintaining it separately for now so that I can work on the balance, but I've tried to structure my repo in such a way that it could be easily imported directly into Marathon later, if Afforess wants to do that.
That's really cool... I will take a look and see how to import it in such a way to keep it compatible with vanilla & bobs.

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Took a quick look, you could just load different recipe file depending on if bob is there or not. Bob added a handler to his mods modules so you can pretty easily detect them.

UristMcGuffin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by UristMcGuffin »

I just started a game with this mod, but I think it's odd that you get five iron plates from two iron ore. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

EDIT: after seeing some of the other recipies, I guess it makes sense

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

UristMcGuffin wrote:I just started a game with this mod, but I think it's odd that you get five iron plates from two iron ore. Is this the way it's supposed to be?

EDIT: after seeing some of the other recipies, I guess it makes sense
Yes, that is normal. The changes all actually balance out to a net zero increase, but significantly increase the amount of throughput you need to handle on belts. It is intentionally supposed to make designing factories more challenging.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

Arch666Angel wrote:Took a quick look, you could just load different recipe file depending on if bob is there or not. Bob added a handler to his mods modules so you can pretty easily detect them.
Yep, you were right. It was shockingly straightforward.

If someone other players want to test, here's an alpha build of Marathon w/bobathon built in (Support for Bob's mods).

Experimental Marathon 0.6.0: https://github.com/Afforess/Marathon/re ... _0.6.0.zip

Marathon should continue to work and act normally for vanilla users. I'll promote this build as the new release in a few days if there are no bug reports.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

How suicidal would be to run this bobathon with science cost tweaker and mods like natural evolution? :D

I was tempted to run marathon game and bob's compatible version makes it tempting.

timahh13
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by timahh13 »

What does this fix/mod do? Does it change recipes? could you do a quick run through of the changes/compatibility. Much appriciated

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

timahh13 wrote:What does this fix/mod do? Does it change recipes? could you do a quick run through of the changes/compatibility. Much appriciated
The short version: Marathon tweaks most recipes to make them take 5x as long to complete.

The long version: try a game and find out.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

orzelek wrote:How suicidal would be to run this bobathon with science cost tweaker and mods like natural evolution? :D
Science cost tweaker will likely make it significantly easier as it has it's own recipes for science packs while bobathon without the SCT would make science packs cost a ton more materials.

If you want to be suicidal, combine science cost tweaker with Flux Expensive Tech. Without bobathon/marathon but with SCT on extended difficulty, easiest researches taking blue bottles use around 6-7k of each science items, rocket silo takes 1.3 million :)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

hoho wrote:
orzelek wrote:How suicidal would be to run this bobathon with science cost tweaker and mods like natural evolution? :D
Science cost tweaker will likely make it significantly easier as it has it's own recipes for science packs while bobathon without the SCT would make science packs cost a ton more materials.

If you want to be suicidal, combine science cost tweaker with Flux Expensive Tech. Without bobathon/marathon but with SCT on extended difficulty, easiest researches taking blue bottles use around 6-7k of each science items, rocket silo takes 1.3 million :)
I'm disabling science tweakers custom recipes - using it for tech cost multipliers only.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

orzelek wrote:I'm disabling science tweakers custom recipes - using it for tech cost multipliers only.
Heh, I have always played with the custom recipes as I found them more challenging (not using marathon) and had completely forgot about recipes being configurable.

I might just play with marathon mod next time. Now, I just have to figure out how to deal with biters with 10k Hp at 97% evolution when only having AP bullets, T2 sniper towers and zero gold to research anything more advanced :)

timahh13
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by timahh13 »

Afforess wrote:
timahh13 wrote:What does this fix/mod do? Does it change recipes? could you do a quick run through of the changes/compatibility. Much appriciated
The short version: Marathon tweaks most recipes to make them take 5x as long to complete.

I meant your version of marathon and bobs mods

Wulfson
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wulfson »

timahh13 wrote:
Afforess wrote:

I meant your version of marathon and bobs mods
The Bobathon content restores some of the Bob's Mods recipes that Marathon was originally overwriting, increases the costs to build a number of Bob's machines, and decreases fuel values to try and stay in line with the spirit of Marathon's changes.

It would be best to review the code directly if you want a full log of which recipes had their costs increased (here are the circuit changes, for example: https://goo.gl/OLnkf1), but I will note that I typically didn't increase costs by more than 2-3x for most things, because the long process chains required for most of Bob's intermediate materials already increase factory scale considerably.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I started the game with 0.6.0 and it seems that game doesn't register properly that items were changed by the mod.

I'm not sure if modifications are applied or not - they seem to be on few recipes I checked. They don't have the yellow text stating that marathon mod changed them.

Anyone else noticed something like this when using 0.6.0 with bob's mods?

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

orzelek wrote:I started the game with 0.6.0 and it seems that game doesn't register properly that items were changed by the mod.

I'm not sure if modifications are applied or not - they seem to be on few recipes I checked. They don't have the yellow text stating that marathon mod changed them.

I noticed that myself. It seems that using data-updates.lua instead of data.lua doesn't register modifications? I'm not certain the exact reasons here. After I noticed that, I spot checked, and the Marathon changes to the recipes do seem to be applied.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Afforess wrote:
orzelek wrote:I started the game with 0.6.0 and it seems that game doesn't register properly that items were changed by the mod.

I noticed that myself. It seems that using data-updates.lua instead of data.lua doesn't register modifications? I'm not certain the exact reasons here. After I noticed that, I spot checked, and the Marathon changes to the recipes do seem to be applied.
Maybe it would be worth to post it as bug report if it's consistent.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

orzelek wrote:
Afforess wrote:

Maybe it would be worth to post it as bug report if it's consistent.
Already done: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=20310

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Marathon 1.0.0

Post by Afforess »

Marathon 1.0.0 released. It's pretty much the same as 0.6.0, but with some improvements to protect against edge cases where bob's mods might change.

Vanilla recipes are unchanged.

Return to “Mods”