Topics and discussion about specific mods
Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [MOD 0.10.x] Compression Chests: virtually unlimited sto

Post by Rseding91 »

omegasrevenge wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:
SuperSandro2000 wrote:Can you maybe add something like the disc drive from applied energistics (Minecraft Mod)?
To what end goal? The disk drive from the AE mod just stored contents on disks you could move around.

Are you looking for a chest that you can move around contents and all? Because I have that :P just haven't released it yet.
Hello there, new mod that I am going to download. How are you? Oh! You aren't on the forums yet? Well, your maker will have to fix that asap.
I posted it a few days ago. You can find it in the Mods section (this section) called Heavy Chests.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

Turtle wrote:
starxplor wrote:So, I tried changing the C in chest to be capital, because I got the error: "Error None: Error when opening ~/factorio/mods/Compression Chests/graphics/Compression Chest - Icon.png: No such file or directory"
After making all three words capitalized, I get this error: "Error None: Error when opening ~/factorio/mods/Compression Chests/graphics/Compression chest - icon.png: No such file or directory"
When I change to lower case c and i, I get the first error.
I made a copy of the image file, so there is one with each different spelling, and that seems to work...
I also had to rename Compression Chest.png to Compression chest.png, no copy needed here.

I am guessing different parts of the mod refer to it differently.
You could've just edited the .lua files to all be the same - find and replace is great for this, specially if you have software that can find and replace in an entire directory. That's what I did.
Yes, but then the mod author would not have the needed info to fix going forward. While you and I may be able to do this, and as an alpha game, I expect many players are able. Once it goes mainstream, there will be many people who are unable or unwilling to make such a change.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

New version posted: found a bug with Factorio's "caninsert" function returning true even when it shouldn't resulting in picked-up compression chests getting deleted if you had no room in your inventory.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

starxplor wrote:Yes, but then the mod author would not have the needed info to fix going forward. While you and I may be able to do this, and as an alpha game, I expect many players are able. Once it goes mainstream, there will be many people who are unable or unwilling to make such a change.
New version posted should fix this issue if you wouldn't mind testing it. Also see the change log - I disabled the "pick up a compression chest" research and functionality because it completely outmodes trains and all forms of long-distance transport. You *can* re-enable it if you want - see the top of control.lua.

Note: if you have picked up chests you can still put them down when updating the mod. The functionality is all there in the code: I just disabled the research that unlocks it and the checks if the research was done.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

The new version load and my current world with 3 chests placed seem to be working.

The moving tool is still in my inventory, not sure if it works, I dont want to risk 100K items to test it.

Thanks!!

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

starxplor wrote:The new version load and my current world with 3 chests placed seem to be working.

The moving tool is still in my inventory, not sure if it works, I dont want to risk 100K items to test it.

Thanks!!
I just updated it again (found a few issues with moving chests). If you update to the version in the first post you should have no issues -moving- the chests with the chest mover. It still allows you to move a chest 1 tile at a time you just can't pick them up. I've been moving chests all night (that's where I found the bugs and fixed them) so there shouldn't be any further issues.

Also - just save the game first and if it bugs out re-load :)

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

Just wanted to post a little bit of my train station using these Compression Chests. This one little medium pole coverage space replaces a HUGE array of storage chests, leaving more room for more train tracks.

In this image, i replaced the 4 storage chests in the middle to stop the onslaught of bots, imagine they are yellow. Each one passes items counter-clockwise except the one item that is dropped into a Compression Chest. The copper and iron ores are then stuffed into a provider chest that feeds my smelting system. The coal and stone will eventually be tied into their processing lines in the same way.

Thanks for this awesome space saving mod!

Well, looks like the image wont be uploaded for now, I just get: "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

starxplor wrote:Well, looks like the image wont be uploaded for now, I just get: "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."
Try www.imgur.com.

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

Interesting, I had thought they required an account to upload images, but it appears that is not the case

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [MOD 0.11.x] Compression Chests: virtually unlimited sto

Post by Rseding91 »

I updated the mod to 0.11 and it should be fully compatible with MP as well (assuming no MP bugs de-sync the game).

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Happens when mining a compression chest.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Boogieman14 wrote:Image
Happens when mining a compression chest.

Fixed.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

So I'm looking at the code for this mod a bit more closely trying to understand the logic and I think I may have spotted room for some optimisation (although, granted, for a relative fringe case). Line 718 (if itemCount > v[4] then) checks if the slot has more than 2/3rd of the stacksize of the item. Line 777 (elseif v[2] ~= 0 and itemCount < v[4] then) checks if the slot has less than 2/3rd of a stack. Now imagine a setup where a compression chest is used as a buffer, so an inserter constantly putting stuff in and an inserter constantly pulling stuff out. I would imagine this leads to a number of extra checks just moving stuff into and out of compression. Would using a bandwidth (of, say, 10 units, twice the max inserter stacksize) offer some more efficiency? Or is this such a fringe case that it would be negligible?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Boogieman14 wrote:So I'm looking at the code for this mod a bit more closely trying to understand the logic and I think I may have spotted room for some optimisation (although, granted, for a relative fringe case). Line 718 (if itemCount > v[4] then) checks if the slot has more than 2/3rd of the stacksize of the item. Line 777 (elseif v[2] ~= 0 and itemCount < v[4] then) checks if the slot has less than 2/3rd of a stack. Now imagine a setup where a compression chest is used as a buffer, so an inserter constantly putting stuff in and an inserter constantly pulling stuff out. I would imagine this leads to a number of extra checks just moving stuff into and out of compression. Would using a bandwidth (of, say, 10 units, twice the max inserter stacksize) offer some more efficiency? Or is this such a fringe case that it would be negligible?

Most of the tick-time savings comes from sleeping (being inactive) when there's nothing to do. If there was some way to detect that the chest was going to be used in such a situation that would definitely help. But, as it is now most of the more expensive checks are already done once it reaches that point in the script and balancing out the chest contents shouldn't be too big of an impact.

It would be nice if there was some type of event related to the chest contents changing (I know there was discussion about entity-specific event hooks) but for now this will have to do.

On a somewhat related note, would you be interested in looking at my latest mod I'm creating? I'm on IRC most of the time if you want to stop by and give me messenger/other contact information :)

Empmortakaten
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Empmortakaten »

No idea what this means.
...g\Factorio\mods\Compression Chests_1.3.5.zip|control.lua:13: attempt to index field 'compression-chest' (a nil value)
Got a couple of other mods installed and will remove them to see if that makes a difference. ( Using version 0.11.1 of Factorio. The mods are a small infinite resource mod and Belt Blocker. )

EDIT : Disabled both the other mods, and still getting the same thing. Thinking it's something to do with Compression Chests itself. Any ideas on what it is...?

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

Try to update to 11.3, does it remain?

Empmortakaten
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Empmortakaten »

LordFedora wrote:Try to update to 11.3, does it remain?
If I update the infinite resource mod stops working. :-P

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Empmortakaten wrote:
LordFedora wrote:Try to update to 11.3, does it remain?
If I update the infinite resource mod stops working. :-P
Don't report problems with a mod when you're not running the latest Factorio and unwilling to update :) This mod works fine in Factorio 0.11.3, your problem is with the other mod.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Empmortakaten wrote:No idea what this means.
...g\Factorio\mods\Compression Chests_1.3.5.zip|control.lua:13: attempt to index field 'compression-chest' (a nil value)
Got a couple of other mods installed and will remove them to see if that makes a difference. ( Using version 0.11.1 of Factorio. The mods are a small infinite resource mod and Belt Blocker. )

EDIT : Disabled both the other mods, and still getting the same thing. Thinking it's something to do with Compression Chests itself. Any ideas on what it is...?

That line is enabling the recipe if you've done previous research when adding the mod to your game. The only way that error can pop up is if the recipe name has been altered (either by you or some other mod).

Return to “Mods”