[MOD 0.12.x] Slipstream Chests - 2.0.0

Topics and discussion about specific mods
AlphaRaptor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.11.x] Slipstream Chests - 1.0.2

Post by AlphaRaptor »

Degraine wrote:I haven't had any problems with running it in 11.5 myself, does it break in 11.6?
I haven't tried it in 0.11.6

I dont have any problems too.
I mean for the New Version , can you make it 0.11.5 Compatible
Live your life like you want.
Mods are still Awesome , and i love Mods , for every Game.

Lov'in it.

dopefish
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dopefish »

Degraine wrote:
  • A single basic chest type whose input/output can be configured with a GUI, removing individual directional chests (getting away from Belt Storage's implementation).
  • Filtered/indiscriminate output configuration options.
  • Passive/active provider and requester variants.
  • Energy requirements for all chests.
  • New recipes.
Sounds great! I especially found myself irritated by the lack of requesters, having to still use an overly complicated system of inserters and slipstream chests. They should probably be pretty expensive though, seeing as they combine like 4 different things into one and shrink the size of production lines by 3-4 blocks.

Can you make this Mod for 0.11.5 and 0.11.6 ?

Works fine in 0.11.6.

L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by L0771 »

Degraine wrote:
  • A single basic chest type whose input/output can be configured with a GUI, removing individual directional chests (getting away from Belt Storage's implementation).
  • Filtered/indiscriminate output configuration options.
  • Passive/active provider and requester variants.
  • Energy requirements for all chests.
  • New recipes.
Basic chests will still be relatively easy to make when they become available in the midgame (which is probably about the time you really start needing them, I think), but the logistic variants will require a processing unit and bots research.
Hi.
Gui is complicated to use on multiplayer and needs config (more problems), maybe can use a ítem with direction and save this direction when chest is created.
I like your mod.

EDIT: Can use some like thisonly when build.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

AlphaRaptor wrote:I mean for the New Version , can you make it 0.11.5 Compatible
I can't make any promises. 0.11.6 includes a fix I want to put in to cut down the amount of work being done in my control.lua script, since it's already going to be doing more.
L0771 wrote:Gui is complicated to use on multiplayer and needs config (more problems), maybe can use a ítem with direction and save this direction when chest is created.
I like your mod.

EDIT: Can use some like thisonly when build.
We'll see how the GUI pans out. I had an idea similar to what the OP in that thread was asking about, in fact, so hopefully I'll have a little time-saver for users, regardless.

space
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by space »

Hi Degraine,
I love your mod very much and I got some ideas to continue it growth.

Here they are:
* This can be represented as tech tree. For every step of technology there will be 3 types of chest's size and capacity.
- Bigger size of chests with bigger inventory capacity (large and very large like Dytech-storage has) and output to sides will be on 2 lines or 3 lines depending of size.
- smart chests with filters which item to output
- very smart chest with configurable output sides (can be up to 4 sides) and filter to every side
- chests which works with logistics system.

And of course you need a graphics :) Cuz same picture for all directions - not good :) I was so interested in this so I did the graphics by myself and already using it. Here is the screenshot:

If you like it - contact me in skype :)

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Interesting idea.
Might I suggest a minor artistic change though?
Instead of having such drastically different colors, could you have a muted base color that is common to the basic chests, and then have a wedge of a complementary color pointing to the side being output to? The extra chests you have other than Degraine's could use uniform, but still muted, colors that would be unique to each type. You could also have a common base color but use a different coloring pattern to represent each type.

While less obvious which side is being output at a simple glance, it would be far less glaring, and fit in much better with non-DyTech games. The fact that most of DyTech looks very out of place is why I stopped using it shortly after release.

Sorry I can't offer more than suggestions, but art is far from my strong suit.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

space
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by space »

Hi,
thanks for suggestion, I think this is good idea, I will try it.

space
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by space »

I am not so familiar with photoshop, so this is what we got :)
preview

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Definitely less glaring :)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Hi folks. Sorry I still haven't released the new version yet, but I've been poking away at it now and then.

Right now, I would just like to get 1.1.0 out the door. It won't have all the features I'd hoped for, but I'm considering whether I want to do some of them now anyway. Right now, there'll be a basic chest, unlocked by Advanced Electronics. Construction/Logistic Robotics will unlock the SSC passive logistics chest alongside its vanilla equivalent, and Logistic System will unlock active and requester chests. There isn't a storage chest since I figure it has minimal utility for Slipstream builds.

At the moment, my stance on sorting item streams on belts with SSC chests is that it isn't a good fit for my mod. SSC is about streamlining inventory transfers from belt to chest and chest to belt. Grab Filtered Splitters to add inserter-less/bot-less sorting functionality to your transport network.

On the subject of graphics, I appreciate the sprites you made, space, but I'd prefer to go with something that blends in with Factorio's existing style. Good job on seeing a need and doing your own thing, though.

That's about it for now. I'm glad you're all liking the mod so much. 380 downloads, goddamn. Hopefully I'll have something more substantial for you all to play with soon.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Those spriters looks AWSOME! Great job!!!

If you allow me to suggest one thing: reduce their size by 10-15%. It would make them look less weird. That's my opinion though.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Slipstream Chests - 1.1.0

Post by Degraine »

Okay, so, I finally (finally) managed to work out all the kinks (hopefully) in the new version. Grab it in the OP.

New features:
  • Chests no longer have a built-in direction. When you place a SS chest down, it scans the squares around it for transport belts - if there is a belt facing towards it, the belt is ignored. If not, then the chest will automatically stream items out of its inventory onto the belt.
  • There are now passive/active provider and requester slipstream chests!
  • Chests now have power requirements. A chest with a single input and output belt should consume about 60kW of power to operate. Faster belts and more than one output belt may outpace its battery, but if youo're producing materials that quickly you probably don't need a chest anyway.
Changes:
  • Chests are in the belt fast-replaceable group, but they can't be fast-replaced themselves thanks to the accumulator entity. Not much I can do about that for now, I'm afraid.
  • Existing chests should be replaced with the new basic chest, but you will need to remove and place them to get them working again.
  • Basic chests are unlocked with Advanced Electronics, logistic chests are unlocked by the same technologies that unlock their standard counterpart.
Notes/Gotchas:
  • If you change the configuration of the belts around a slipstream chest you will need to remove and place the chest again to reset its configuration.
  • Remove belts that run adjacent to the square you want to place a chest in, but don't want it to eject its contents onto.
  • The configuration process does not recognise underground belts.

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.17+] Slipstream Chests - 1.1.0

Post by Thomasnotused »

Hi there, mod maker! Thought I'd bring a bug I'd noticed to your attention, not sure if it's caused by other mods, but it seems to be (see pic below)
When I load up my save after updating (I'm running on Factorio 11.20) I get an error and it closes the game and brings me back to the menu, but it doesn't 'crash' Factorio.
Was wondering if there was something on my end causing a big mess-up, and I can't find any error log to post up.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

That's strange. I'm not sure what could cause that - Slipstream doesn't interact with other mods in any special way, it just acts like a chest. Can you still load the save in whatever previous version you were running?

Thomasnotused
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Thomasnotused »

Degraine wrote:That's strange. I'm not sure what could cause that - Slipstream doesn't interact with other mods in any special way, it just acts like a chest. Can you still load the save in whatever previous version you were running?
Yes, and to fix it, I loaded the save with slipstream disabled, saved, and then re-enabled it and loaded the save. I guess the migration found an issue with one of my setups.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Very strange issue. I'm guessing an alternative would be to deconstruct all your slipstream chests beforehand, upgrade, and place them again, which indicates a problem with the Lua table being brought over from 11.19. I'm not sure what I can do to help with that.

Foxy_Boxes
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Foxy_Boxes »

space wrote:Hi Degraine,
I love your mod very much and I got some ideas to continue it growth.

Here they are:
* This can be represented as tech tree. For every step of technology there will be 3 types of chest's size and capacity.
- Bigger size of chests with bigger inventory capacity (large and very large like Dytech-storage has) and output to sides will be on 2 lines or 3 lines depending of size.
- smart chests with filters which item to output
- very smart chest with configurable output sides (can be up to 4 sides) and filter to every side
- chests which works with logistics system.

And of course you need a graphics :) Cuz same picture for all directions - not good :) I was so interested in this so I did the graphics by myself and already using it. Here is the screenshot:

If you like it - contact me in skype :)
It might just be me being picky, but those sprites are isometric, whilst most (all?) of Factorio isn't.

On a related note if (and since I know nothing about coding that's a big if) you can tie the sprite to the inputs and outputs I could try my hand at mashing together a few existing sprites into something new for each possible combination.

EDIT: Actually, should this not be sufficient? It's done the same way as underground belts so that shaded open bit would have a belt moving in the appropriate direction (hopefully). The sides are small enough that the lack of a input/output shouldn't be noticeable and the top covers the back input/output.
ImageImageImageImageImage
(click on it to view at photobucket, the transparent bits are easier to see against the white background)

EDIT 2: Of course, the front would be shut when not in use.

Trev_lite
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Trev_lite »

Could there be faster varieties of the slipstream chests for full compression fast and express belts.
A slipstream chest mk II might be a nice idea, it would be able to input and output items faster for a higher belt group while keeping compression.
It could take a slipstream chest and ~8 fast inserters and 4 express belts and 1 processor unit.

Foxy_Boxes
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Foxy_Boxes »

You may wish to tweak belts themselves too: If placed where a normal belt would cause a T junction (to one side, not in the centre), the belts stay as a corner and the chest's output won't move along the outer edge of the belt.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Trev_lite wrote:Could there be faster varieties of the slipstream chests for full compression fast and express belts.
A slipstream chest mk II might be a nice idea, it would be able to input and output items faster for a higher belt group while keeping compression.
It could take a slipstream chest and ~8 fast inserters and 4 express belts and 1 processor unit.
I haven't done extensive testing with higher level belts, but I could whip something up. I'd like to make the code more efficient so it doesn't become another Treefarm in terms of computing cycles.
Foxy_Boxes wrote:You may wish to tweak belts themselves too: If placed where a normal belt would cause a T junction (to one side, not in the centre), the belts stay as a corner and the chest's output won't move along the outer edge of the belt.
Unfortunately, as best I can tell belts will not connect to anything but other belts. It's a limitation I can't work around, so you have to use alternative solutions. Just like standard Factorio. ;)

And I'll have a look at the graphic you offered. I have discovered the power of selection hue/saturation adjustment, so I can recolour things more easily now.

Return to “Mods”