[MOD 0.11.X] AlphaMod - Advanced Fluid Handling

Topics and discussion about specific mods
G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.X] AlphaMod

Post by G_glop »

Kexík wrote:ou yeah, i will create special category for my mod and move genereted luquid items to bottom to let it be more visible
Great but i'll have to remove it for now because WERY LARGE performace drops(-(~40fps)), so sad :cry: , please do some optimizations for it to be playable.
Note: time used percent if smart tank holds liquid is ~13

Kexík
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kexík »

thanks i will try to do something with that

Kexík
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kexík »

New version 0.0.7 with Liquid Splitters released for enter GUI of Liquid Splitter, hold mouseover for 1.5s

Next thing i will focus is optimalizations, after them i will try balance all stuff i have (i cant thing of any other usefull liquid handling stuff) and improve Liquid Splitter GUI and its popup

Kexík
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kexík »

BTW: Merry Christmas everyone

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by G_glop »

I have some other "not so fatal" bug that i am experiencing:
It may be just cause of my hardware/software or that i have some other mods installed, hope it helps :)

Kexík
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kexík »

G_glop wrote:I have some other "not so fatal" bug that i am experiencing:
It may be just cause of my hardware/software or that i have some other mods installed, hope it helps :)
This is probably one of bug i will not be able solve :( because
1) I use same colision and selection box as normal pipe
2) I use same texture as pipe
3) looks like something specific triggered it in your game (i dont have that bug on any surface)
4) if i make bigger texture it will not probably fit with classic pipes and all other pipe-connectable

I added try to make longer texture to TODO list, is problem only when pipes are vertically? And just from curiosity does that happen even when other mods are off?

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by G_glop »

Kexík wrote: This is probably one of bug i will not be able solve :( because
1) I use same colision and selection box as normal pipe
2) I use same texture as pipe
3) looks like something specific triggered it in your game (i dont have that bug on any surface)
4) if i make bigger texture it will not probably fit with classic pipes and all other pipe-connectable

I added try to make longer texture to TODO list, is problem only when pipes are vertically? And just from curiosity does that happen even when other mods are off?
I tested, it happens to all pipes all mods off/on, but only when they are placed vertically.
And why are there "ghost IO pipes?
Actually something is "broken" with my whole game(if it isn't normal behavior :roll: ).

Kexík
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kexík »

Oh ok :)
Ghost io-pipe is actual io-pipe normal io-pipe is inserter for the arrow effect in info layer

I optimalized storage tank, it should no longer cause fps drop, but small pump and electric boiler maybe will, i will optimalize them tomorow and create new version.

(version with optimalized smart-tanks is downloadable thru link in first post)

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by G_glop »

Kexík wrote:Oh ok :)
Ghost io-pipe is actual io-pipe normal io-pipe is inserter for the arrow effect in info layer

I optimalized storage tank, it should no longer cause fps drop, but small pump and electric boiler maybe will, i will optimalize them tomorow and create new version.

Good work!
As you know from my previous posts i need to handle a LOT of liquids and ability for "any amount liquid storeage"(smart tank with a pump set to some value) is so useful in this case.

And coud you do (in distant future) that fluids loose temperature over time(storing liquid metals of 1200 degrees, without any diminishing returns :roll: ), like molten metals going solid after loosing temperature(heated storeage tank/heating elements as modules, that will use power but keep their content in set degrees/same tmp. as the input(canno't be used like cheap/low tech/more powerful boiler).

Kexík
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kexík »

G_glop wrote:
Kexík wrote:Oh ok :)

Good work!
As you know from my previous posts i need to handle a LOT of liquids and ability for "any amount liquid storeage"(smart tank with a pump set to some value) is so useful in this case.

And coud you do (in distant future) that fluids loose temperature over time(storing liquid metals of 1200 degrees, without any diminishing returns :roll: ), like molten metals going solid after loosing temperature(heated storeage tank/heating elements as modules, that will use power but keep their content in set degrees/same tmp. as the input(canno't be used like cheap/low tech/more powerful boiler).
Hmm good idea, i could do that in every storage-tank liquid tempeture decays. But how? I cant do it as in real world because there are no data for it, and if i wanna do this compatible with other mods it have to be universal.
So I think about patter with something like (maxTemperature/startTemperature) * X per sec so for water it would be (100/15) * X per sec, so if X will be 0.1 water will decay by 0.666 degree per sec and if we take hypotetical liquid that have (1200/15) * 0.1 that will decay 8 degree per second.

It looks good (of course there is probably some better pattern), but it depends on how other mod represent that liquid metal? Does it have startTemperature 1200 or lower and will be heated by something?

Kexík
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kexík »

Released version 0.0.8 with Optimalizations

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by G_glop »

Kexík wrote:Released version 0.0.8 with Optimalizations
Wee!

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by G_glop »

Kexík wrote: Hmm good idea, i could do that in every storage-tank liquid tempeture decays. But how? I cant do it as in real world because there are no data for it, and if i wanna do this compatible with other mods it have to be universal.
So I think about patter with something like (maxTemperature/startTemperature) * X per sec so for water it would be (100/15) * X per sec, so if X will be 0.1 water will decay by 0.666 degree per sec and if we take hypotetical liquid that have (1200/15) * 0.1 that will decay 8 degree per second.

It looks good (of course there is probably some better pattern), but it depends on how other mod represent that liquid metal? Does it have startTemperature 1200 or lower and will be heated by something?
It woud have to be something much more complex that woud cover all variables (temperature of the liquid, ambient temperature, heat capacity of the liquid and type of storeage device) Example: each 0.1 seconds it woud run the code on all liquid containers, that woud decide how much degrees to lower/increase the tempeature(thus increasing viscosity(to the point of solidification=infinte viscosity)) based on: liquids: current temp. ambient temp, heat capacity and type of container(tank, pipe, assembly machine).

There woud be need of a "pipe heating" tool to unstuck pipes that cooled too much(desing flaw, player not being familiar with the mechanics).

And need of heating: storeage tanks, pipes, pumps, modules that woud use same mechanic as cooling but replacing the ambient temp. with the heat production of the machine/module.

Answer: it has starting temp. of 1200 degrees but no heat capacity(needs tweaking).

And thats what i mean be distant future. ;)

Kexík
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kexík »

Released version 0.0.9

Liquid Splitter:
  • Fix setting reset when rotating
  • Fix default setting to be 1:1 even when clogged
  • Fixed icons and name for IN and OUT pump, because of electric network
  • Fixed issue that IN-pump was pumping all the time even when LS was clogged
  • Arrow visual will be at background
  • Added rotating gui according to direction of LS
  • Gui will show when LS is open and hide when LS is closed

Kexík
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kexík »

Released version 0.0.10

Electric Boiler:
  • EB will no longer need choose recipe
  • EB will show liquid amount with electricity
  • EB will be little more balanced (and like normal boiler)
  • Fixed localization

Kexík
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kexík »

G_glop wrote:
Kexík wrote: Hmm good idea, i could do that in every storage-tank liquid tempeture decays. But how? I cant do it as in real world because there are no data for it, and if i wanna do this compatible with other mods it have to be universal.

It woud have to be something much more complex that woud cover all variables (temperature of the liquid, ambient temperature, heat capacity of the liquid and type of storeage device) Example: each 0.1 seconds it woud run the code on all liquid containers, that woud decide how much degrees to lower/increase the tempeature(thus increasing viscosity(to the point of solidification=infinte viscosity)) based on: liquids: current temp. ambient temp, heat capacity and type of container(tank, pipe, assembly machine).

There woud be need of a "pipe heating" tool to unstuck pipes that cooled too much(desing flaw, player not being familiar with the mechanics).

And need of heating: storeage tanks, pipes, pumps, modules that woud use same mechanic as cooling but replacing the ambient temp. with the heat production of the machine/module.

Answer: it has starting temp. of 1200 degrees but no heat capacity(needs tweaking).

Sorry for disappoint you, but I decided not to implement liquid temperature decay. I want this mod to be something that add missing features, no mod like Bob`s and Dy-tech (which are awesome i think) that adds and changes game content.

G_glop
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by G_glop »

Kexík wrote:
G_glop wrote:

Sorry for disappoint you, but I decided not to implement liquid temperature decay. I want this mod to be something that add missing features, no mod like Bob`s and Dy-tech (which are awesome i think) that adds and changes game content.
ok

Kexík
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Kexík »

Released version v0.1.0 that contain all features of Advanced Fluid Handling
new stuff
  • Balancing
  • Technology
  • Generating fixed pipes from other mods prototypes
AlphaRaptor wrote:Can you make this mod Compatible with DyTech Transportations , DyTech adds different Pipes in different color's and they can hold more then 10 Liquid Units.
I added generating I,L,T pipes from other mod prototypes (type="pipe"), but I did just internal testing with newly created pipes by my mod, so please let me know if it works with DyTech (new pipes are in new item groups and have no localisation and use default mod-pipe icon)

Next thing i will focus will probably be player.

Kexík
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.X] AlphaMod - Advanced Fluid Handling

Post by Kexík »

Small update, version 0.1.1 that adds Trash bin for player

leeknivek
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.11.X] AlphaMod - Advanced Fluid Handling

Post by leeknivek »

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but an electric boiler doesn't make any sense.

So - the way a boiler works is it converts the potential energy of a fuel - coal, oil, etc. into heat energy of water. It's a chemical process. Carbon and Hydrogen contained in coal and oil bond with Oxygen through combustion. That gives off heat. Heat is energy and can turn water into steam, where the steam uses pressure to move large pistons which rotate and generate electricity through coils.

But you're producing energy at a loss. For sake of argument, let's say coal has 10 units of energy in it when burned, (oxidized, bonded with oxygen). Some of that energy will be lost, you'll end up with, say, 8 units of energy in electricity after the combustion process. You have an 80% efficiency of converting coal into electricity (not real numbers!!).

Now, let's say you stop using coal. you're using your boilers to create energy but you're using electricity to power them. Well, even at that very generous and very unlikely 80% efficiency, you're still operating at a loss. An exponential one, at that. The same thing goes for solar panels powering steam engines. If you're using the electricity generated by the solar panels to generate electricity through steam engines ....... you're operating at a loss. Why not just use the solar panels for electricity?

So you need to burn something, you need to create heat elsewhere and bring it into the system, not use the systems energy to make more energy. That's like hooking up two batteries and expecting to get infinite energy.

What I mentioned with oxidation, however - the bonding of oxygen atoms to hydrogen and carbon atoms - can be more efficient. I don't know what the game goes by, but in a regular fire, it's pretty inefficient. 20%, probably. 40% max. You have to add the right amount of oxygen to the right amount of fuel (hydrocarbons). With an open fire, a lot of that heat just goes up to the sky, lost forever. So people invented woodstoves - Ben Franklin, specifically - which trap the heat inside and radiate it slowly throughout your home rather than let it fly up to be lost in the atmosphere. Nowadays, we have very efficient wood stoves, that burn ALL of the hydrocarbons.

When you see a wood fire, usually there's smoke. Smoke is inefficient. Smoke is flammable - creosote. In fact, it's more flammable than wood. It's clean, powerful - you can operate a car with it. But usually it's lost through a chimney. So you get a stove, a boiler - whatever - something that burns the unburnt wood gas. Or coal gas. Turn CO into CO2, turn H and O into H20, etc. The more bonding you have, the more heat you generate. The more heat you generate, the more power you generate from the same material.

TLDR: more efficient boilers that don't belch out a ton of black smoke will net you more power, less pollution, and more efficient systems than electric boilers. Way, way, way more.

Return to “Mods”