[0.11.18+](1.0.0) Void Chest (Now With Flavors!)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
AlyxDeLunar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.11.18+](1.0.0) Void Chest (Now With Flavors!)

Post by AlyxDeLunar »

Destroying items. Nothing complicated, just automatically destroying items. It could be nice to have, and some other mods have implemented kind of the mechanic, but I wanted something simple and straightforward. So, the Void Chest! (And also requested on this topic: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =33&t=8867)

The Void Chest is simple (and very very similar to the Offshore Dump for liquids), it's a chest that you can put items into, and every 10 seconds or so it will destroy one item, causing pollution when it has items in it.

Questions/Comments/Concerns are always welcome :D
Picture
Features
Bugs and Annoyances
Versions
Attachments
VoidChestInstant_1.0.0.zip
(2.38 KiB) Downloaded 1058 times
VoidChest_1.0.0.zip
(2.95 KiB) Downloaded 1173 times
Last edited by AlyxDeLunar on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sometimes humorous, usually congenial. Always Alyx.

My Stuff:
Lunar's Factorio Mod Manager

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.18+](1.0.0) Void Chest (Destroy the waste!)

Post by waduk »

Thanks for the straightforward annihilate stuff mod. I badly need it.and i immediately test it.
Why there are limitation (x item in x seconds) ?
I think this beat the purpose of having a void chest, my void chest is actually getting full and i must add 2nd void chest and so on.
Is it the game limitation ? (can't annihilate faster ?)

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

AlyxDeLunar wrote:-With detailed mode, there is a iron plate icon near the chest, this is due to the invisible furnace to create pollution.
game.pollute() sounds like it could help with not needing a fake furnace.
waduk wrote:Why there are limitation (x item in x seconds) ?
I think this beat the purpose of having a void chest, my void chest is actually getting full and i must add 2nd void chest and so on.
Without having looked at the code i guess it's just a choice from Alex to check every 600ticks. Should be easy to change to a lower interval. Though i'm wondering what you are voiding that the chests run full. The only things i ever destroy are pistol, steel armor and burner mining drills and occasionaly a few stacks of wood :D

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Hehe..I'm actually voiding green circuit, yeah i know, it's not uncommon to voiding such thing.
This is part of my experiment/bottleneck test, the ultimate goal (if possible, also depends on my PC) is to build a factory that capable producing 60 item/min for each 3rd tier module.
The next thing to void is red and the purple one, and many other thing.

Sure i can use Compression chest mod (virtually limitless, so there's no need for additional chest)
But the thing is, that chest isn't easily removed, and since i made adjustment to factory layout a lot, that compression chest become a "bottleneck" on his own.
Thus i'm force to shot the chest for quick removal of compression chest. :)
But yeah it's getting annoying overtime since either the bot is keep repairing, or they were replacing stuff, not to mention a lot of structure is either destroyed or damage.

TLDR: This mod (if they were quickly enough to remove things) will save time,..a lot.

Edit : One other thing, in my main game, i also voiding stone, i don't have much use since i don't use train/wall extensively, but i don't like if there were a patch of stone ore, even a small one.
So i want to "remove" that ore patch asap to make room for other thing, and not worrying about chest to collect stuff.

AlyxDeLunar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlyxDeLunar »

Yeah, Choumiko is right about the time intervals I was running. I try not to let my stuff run all the time (no need to hog some processor time I don't need), and so having the check run every ~10 seconds to remove an item seemed like a good interval. That and I guess I wanted to make something that wasn't exactly like an infinite black hole of tossing away, so slowing down the rate of destruction+adding some pollution seemed like an okay compromise. Totally a design decision.

It's super easy to make just an instant void chest like that, so when I time a bit later today I'll make that up for you :D
As far as the ore removal, I'm not sure (off the top of my head) how to handle that without just deleting ore patches outright. I will see what I can do though.

Oh and thanks for that Choumiko, honestly I hadn't even thought of using pollute(). It wouldn't give me that pretty smoke rising out of the chest, but that's probably a trade-off that's worth it not to have that stupid iron plate icon hovering below the chest.

My Stuff:

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Thank you..
Oh you get it wrong about the stone things. I actually don't mind to mine stuff, i just don't like to store them in a couple of chest for things i don't needed. So this mod is doing just fine, it's just too slow for annihilating stuff at the moment, maybe you can make a version where a player can configure this behavior in config.lua etc ? I don't mind to adjusting the mod manually.

Btw, as the icon plate thing. Why don't use a transparent image/icon ?
Personally, i don't find it very annoying, but if that trick work, problem solved then..

Edit : Experiencing weird behavior, the void chest stop working ? The icon plate were missing..hmmm..what i do wrong ?
I only use 2 mod at the moment,, this void chest and Test Mode.

Nagshell
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nagshell »

About ore removing:
I'm not sure if it's safe way, but you can use landfill mod to destroy land with ore and then fill it back and that should destroy everything on that tiles

AlyxDeLunar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlyxDeLunar »

I put a new version out waduk, the VoidChestInstant version. That should do what your looking for. The bug you ran into probably has something to do with invisible furnace thingy going screwy at some point, I'll probably have to edit the code. The instant version won't have that problem though!

My Stuff:

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.18+](1.0.0) Void Chest (Now With Flavors!)

Post by waduk »

Yipee !! Thank you so much, this means a lot !

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

AlyxDeLunar wrote:Oh and thanks for that Choumiko, honestly I hadn't even thought of using pollute(). It wouldn't give me that pretty smoke rising out of the chest, but that's probably a trade-off that's worth it not to have that stupid iron plate icon hovering below the chest.
You probably could use game.createentity to create smoke/particles.
waduk wrote:Edit : Experiencing weird behavior, the void chest stop working ? The icon plate were missing..hmmm..what i do wrong ?
I only use 2 mod at the moment,, this void chest and Test Mode.
All these tricks with invisible proxy entities are a real PITA (for the modder mostly), easily buggy, ugly to work with.. One more reason for using pollue() and creating smoke via createentity :)

Tristitan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tristitan »

hey, i really like this mod, thank you for making it, i was wondering if you were planning to upgrade it to 0.12?

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Here's a working version for 0.12.0.
Attachments
VoidChestInstant_1.0.0.zip
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
Last edited by MasterBuilder on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Tristitan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tristitan »

Thank you

Buggi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Buggi »

Yeah I updated it. And will continue to do so.

I have a thread for it here:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 20&t=13961
- Buggi -
Here's my Humble YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/FlexibleGames

Return to “Mods”