[MOD 0.12.11+] Oil Steam Boiler

Topics and discussion about specific mods
MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] Oil Steam Boiler

Post by MasterBuilder »

Blu3wolf wrote:See this is the problem I have with yuokais stuff. It looks shiny and new! I want old dirty diesel engines, greasy inserters, rusted assembly machines....
That and the crystals, the glowing green/purple, etc. It's just not the 'dirty factory machine' look.

Now I just have to wait till 0.12.2 to add this back to my game. (Silly save corruption bug.)
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

So I was looking at the numbers for power generation with your steam, and steam engine output doesn't appear to match the theoretical output they should be getting.

They should reach 720kW at max, correct? Yet the best a normal steam engine with your steam can do appears to be 542kW, which is not much more than standard hot water. I recall Bob had some kind of issues with rounding errors, could the same thing be happening here?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Degraine wrote:So I was looking at the numbers for power generation with your steam, and steam engine output doesn't appear to match the theoretical output they should be getting.

They should reach 720kW at max, correct? Yet the best a normal steam engine with your steam can do appears to be 542kW, which is not much more than standard hot water. I recall Bob had some kind of issues with rounding errors, could the same thing be happening here?
The way i balanced it was based on how many engines it can support, which i configured to be 10. Theres no power output specifications other than that, A single boiler can support 10 engines at max output, which i think it 540ish. I think the engine prototype would need to be changed (to consume more fluid per tick) for the max power output to be greater

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

That's not what I mean; if my math is correct, the higher energy content of steam should enable steam engines to produce about 50% more than what they can with hot water. Of course, my math is probably wrong, but the wiki has nothing to say on the subject so if you can set me straight on that, I'm all ears.

miturion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by miturion »

nice model

AyrA
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Oil Steam Boiler

Post by AyrA »

May I ask, why these things need power to burn oil? Coal is dirty technology, but by placing burner inserters and burner mining drills cleverly, they will always run (at least until the coal is used).

For the time being I do some trickery with a few solar panels and a transformer but it would be great, if the boilers could run without power.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

AyrA wrote:May I ask, why these things need power to burn oil? Coal is dirty technology, but by placing burner inserters and burner mining drills cleverly, they will always run (at least until the coal is used).

For the time being I do some trickery with a few solar panels and a transformer but it would be great, if the boilers could run without power.
Well in the real worlds teh boilers need electricity to power the oil pump and the air fan/compressor, so i imitated that in the game. It would also be somewhat difficult for me to make it so it doesnt require power without some hacky work arounds

dyf123
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dyf123 »

Could it add a recipe to burn petroleum gas?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

dyf123 wrote:Could it add a recipe to burn petroleum gas?
nope sorry only works on oil but i have a new mod coming out sometime which will burn petroleum

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Mod has been updated for 0.12.11 and also updated in general, this was the first mod i ever made and since then i've learnt a lot, overall the mod is more neatly packaged and should run a lot better

AyrA
Inserter
Inserter

Post by AyrA »

Klonan wrote:It would also be somewhat difficult for me to make it so it doesnt require power without some hacky work arounds
Similar to offshore pumpüs I guess.

brokenshakles
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.11+] Oil Steam Boiler

Post by brokenshakles »

Sir, please reconsider a Natural Gas burning option, it's liquid at reasonable pressures, and since you can reduce light oil to natgas with a refinery in .12 now , I don't see any reason not to include it. It would make management of fluids easier, since you could just reduce everything to natgas and store it that way. Have you thought about varying pollution output according to input?

Homusubi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Homusubi »

Can I use a modified version of this in my mod if I credit the original?

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

Homusubi wrote:Can I use a modified version of this in my mod if I credit the original?
Klonan gave the mod a CC license.
"A Creative Commons (CC) license is one of several public copyright licenses that enable the free distribution of an otherwise copyrighted work. A CC license is used when an author wants to give people the right to share, use, and build upon a work that they have created."

So yes!

From other post of Klonan that I've seen, he only want that you:
A - Give him credit.
B - Also give a CC license to the mod you created from this.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

devilwarriors wrote:
Homusubi wrote:Can I use a modified version of this in my mod if I credit the original?
Klonan gave the mod a CC license..
Actually:
Klonan wrote:License: Ask me
Also CC doesnt mean yes. CC has many licenses. Some require attribution some dont. Some allow derivatives others ONLY allow unmodified redistribution. You have to look at the specifics of the license used.
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

Not sure were you picked that Klonan wrote, but on the first page of this post he clearly wrote "CC lisence"
Klonan wrote:
License
edit: nevermind he added the license 2 times, probably copied the template than wrote the license again up there..

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

How much pollution does this make? The same as 14 coal boilers? More? Less?

I looked in the KS_Power scripts but I could only see pollution mentioned in the diesel generator.

Speadge
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Speadge »

Ratzap wrote:How much pollution does this make? The same as 14 coal boilers? More? Less?

I looked in the KS_Power scripts but I could only see pollution mentioned in the diesel generator.
It has a value of 30. so approx as much pollution as 4 coal solidburner

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

The version in Ks Power has a clearer license,
feel free to use that, the script is also slightly better in that version, along with the spritesheet

Return to “Mods”