[0.16.28] Inconsistent Tree Names and icons

Bugs that are actually features.
kostermw
Inserter
Inserter

[0.16.28] Inconsistent Tree Names and icons

Post by kostermw »

I use the Map Editor quite a lot and adding trees is something that makes my maps look more "natural". You can find the "tree" as an entity, and the editor bar allows you to add 20 different tree types. The icon on the bar does, however, not always match with the tree that gets painted. Also the names that are used in "data.raw" (e.g. to remove trees, using script) is somewhat inconsistent with names presented in the game. Many are simply named "tree" and there are three "Red tree's"

The image hereafter is a (zoomed-in) snap shot of a piece of the editor bar (for adding trees) and numbered them from 1 to 20. On top are the names as you see them when hovering over them. At the bottom are the names used in the program (usable in scripts). As you can see buttons (9 and 10) are the same, and also (11 and 12), and (13, 14, and 15).

In the wiki about trees, other names are used.
I found the names of trees in the data.raw wiki page

If you want to see all the different trees types then browse to my Imgur Album and scroll down a bit ...

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.28] Inconsistent Tree Names and icons

Post by Twinsen »

I can see that some of the icons are outdated, but what is wrong with the names? They match the prototype name perfectly.

kostermw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kostermw »

Twinsen wrote:I can see that some of the icons are outdated, but what is wrong with the names? They match the prototype name perfectly.

Hi Twinsen,
What is wrong with the names
It is not wrong, I merely observed inconsistencies while using script and working with the map editor. I wanted to find out which type of tree you would get when using the various buttons, and how these were mapped onto the prototype names. Only after trial and error I found out. The Wiki about trees, did not help me out, as different names are used there.
-Many of the trees have the same name. Shouldn't they get unique names?
-Colours are completely mixed up

They match the prototype name perfectly
Depends on what you are trying to match ...
Take for example button 9, which is a "Tree" (tree-06), and which looks very much like the tree you get with button 10, a "Brown tree" (tree-06-brown), but then is completely different from button 14 also is labeled "Brown tree"(tree-08-brown)

What I now get from it is that there exist a few related types
tree-02, tree-02-red
tree-06, tree-06-brown
tree-08, tree-08-brown, tree-08-red
tree-09, tree-09-brown, tree-09-red

But e.g
tree-08 gives you a mix of green, brown and red
tree-08-brown is a mix of brownish and red trees
tree-08-red is indeed mostly red
These are subsequent buttons 13, 14, 15

tree-09 is green
tree-09-brown is green, brown and red trees
tree-09-red is indeed mostly red
Buttons are 6, 11,12

At least the nrs 16,17, 18, 19 and 20 made sense to me :D

No offence, but I found it confusing and somewhat inconsistent (especially the colour mix-up).

I would suggest something like this (note: I simply made-up some tree names, since I have no clue what kind of trees these really are);
(updated)
Last edited by kostermw on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I don't see the problem, tree names are inconsequential

Maybe we will rename them when we add the new trees, but for now this is more of a suggestion

kostermw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kostermw »

Klonan wrote:I don't see the problem, tree names are inconsequential

Maybe we will rename them when we add the new trees, but for now this is more of a suggestion
Agree. I posted in the wrong board. Sorry :?

Return to “Not a bug”