Many unfinishable constructions clogging Roboport building

Bugs that are actually features.
GodFire
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Many unfinishable constructions clogging Roboport building

Post by GodFire »

When there are many unfinishable (i.e. 20k concrete) constructions in a roboport network this causes any new finishable constructions (i.e. 500 Solarpanels which would make the factory usable again.) to be delayed randomly.

After searching the forum I found a nother post and this quote.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35687&p=222006&hilit=alert#p222006
Rseding91 wrote:That information isn't known without touching every single ghost in the map which would waste CPU time. It's only generated as roboports iterate over the ghosts in their area 1 per tick. That's why you'll notice you don't get an alert for every single item but only some of them over time.
It is understandable that this happens but could the "missing construction materials" ghosts be slept as a group or individually so that they aren't iterated over every second

I hope this is the correct forum because it felt like a bug.
In case somebody needs inspiration why this could be a problem. In the attached safe we tried to concrete the entire factory before we were ready and this caused a huge power problem. But we can't really place many Solar Panels because the don't get any priority over the concrete.
Attachments
lazyRudolph_abend.zip
(10.55 MiB) Downloaded 57 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Many unfinishable constructions clogging Roboport building

Post by Rseding91 »

This isn't a bug. There are (as you say) 20k jobs. The game goes over a max of 3 per tick. If it went over all of them each second that would be 333 jobs per tick and 333 iterations over every single roboport on the entire map to check if the job overlaps any of them. That would result in unacceptable game performance.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

To confirm, bot tasks will be delayed even across different logistics networks when there are many outstanding tasks (ie: the task queue is global and impacted by the large number).

My use case is I have a remote expansion with a small dedicated roboport which isn't repairing it's walls despite having bots and items in the network. I'm concreting my main base at the same time. I knew I couldn't build other things at the main base, but didn't understand it would impair repair functions at the remote.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Demosthenex wrote:To confirm, bot tasks will be delayed even across different logistics networks when there are many outstanding tasks (ie: the task queue is global and impacted by the large number).

My use case is I have a remote expansion with a small dedicated roboport which isn't repairing it's walls despite having bots and items in the network. I'm concreting my main base at the same time. I knew I couldn't build other things at the main base, but didn't understand it would impair repair functions at the remote.
Yes because multiple networks can overlap a single ghost as well as the player being mobile means they can't be "assigned" to a network.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Not a bug”