[1.1.105] Audio pops when many sounds play in map view

nivlark
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.105] Audio pops when many sounds play in map view

Post by nivlark »

When viewing an auto-firing spidertron from map view, I'm experiencing very loud audio crackles/pops. These only seem to be triggered by the rocket explosions, other loud sounds e.g. artillery don't seem to cause the same issue, but possibly it's linked to the number of sounds playing at once.

The behaviour is the same for different sound outputs (headphones/speakers/HDMI passthrough via monitor), and on both the Windows and Mac builds of the game. It doesn't seem to be affected by in-game or OS volume settings.

I've attached an audio clip "showing" the issue. This was recorded while I rode in the spidertron and destroyed a biter base (which sounds normal), then got out, and sent it to another base while I watched from the map view (which has the clicks). I took a look in Audacity and they look like small portions of a large amplitude square-wave signal superimposed on the waveform.
Attachments
factorio_clicks.zip
(5.44 MiB) Downloaded 10 times

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Donion][1.1.105] Audio pops when many sounds play in map view

Post by Donion »

Thanks for the report.
In map view, there is a low pass filter applied. It was possible for the filter to output a sample value outside of the valid range, causing it to wrap around and making an audible click.
It is now fixed for 2.0.

ergzay
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.105] Audio pops when many sounds play in map view

Post by ergzay »

Can this fix be backported to the current version? On MacOS it makes Spidertrons nigh unusable with ear exploding levels of popping while it mass fires missiles. Or at least some kind of workaround. I don't want ear/speaker damage.

Return to “Fixed for 2.0”