noob need help

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

noob need help

Post by Shaymes »

i think about to make a mod, but there are a problem. i have no idea how to make one, i read a mod tutorial already but it dosnt help very well.

i have the basic files already
info.json - control.lua - data.lua

so my problem is how to start?
what folder structure i have to creat?
how i make my 1st item?
Mining Drill Operator

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: noob need help

Post by hoho »

Easiest would be to look how other mods have done things.

Also I hope you aren't planning on doing something huge as your very first thing. Start small and simple and grow from there as you gain knowledge :)

someloser
Inserter
Inserter

Post by someloser »

Have a look at the .lua files for base Factorio to get an idea of how to lay out your file structure.

A good way to start with Factorio modding is by adding modified version of some other item. My First Item was a super rocket launcher that wiped out whole biter bases in one shot. (It also crashed the game the first time I shot into a really big base :D)
DT-Extend - DyTech ores and other things.

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shaymes »

i test around little things and i added cheese :P just a test item and does same like the raw fish

at the moment i look about sprite and pixel-art tutorials have no idea how to create cool looking items, a iron plate is simple but hard to redesing without knowladge
Mining Drill Operator

someloser
Inserter
Inserter

Post by someloser »

You can do a good job tweaking the existing graphics using color shifter tools in photoshop or GIMP. Some of the extra graphics in DyTech and F-mod are worth checking out for examples are what you can do the pre-existing Factorio artwork.

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shaymes »

thats a way to do it :) one of my problems is the perspective

what is the better tec. make a 3d model in blender? or draw a sprite in gimp? but the i have to draw different facings ...
Mining Drill Operator

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Blender is what the devs themselves use to make graphics for the game, so it's your best bet. You can also recolour sprites from the base game if you aren't really an artist or are short on time - it's what a lot of the popular mods do.

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shaymes »

ok then i will use blender, i think im not short in time, i want to make nice and cool sprites that all ppls love to have in game
but im a noob and need the 100x time to create something *sniff*
Mining Drill Operator

JamesOFarrell
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JamesOFarrell »

someloser wrote:You can do a good job tweaking the existing graphics using color shifter tools in photoshop or GIMP. Some of the extra graphics in DyTech and F-mod are worth checking out for examples are what you can do the pre-existing Factorio artwork.
ImageMagick can do this on a large scale if you have many sprites to do, just feed it hue/saturation values and the files and it will output them in a batch. Great time saver.

someloser
Inserter
Inserter

Post by someloser »

IrfanView also has a batch mode that includes colour-correction options, if you already use that program.

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shaymes »

i have made a 3d blender entry but i cant find a good tutorial how i can make light and shadow, point of view and how to create a factorio sprite sheet, realy need help
Mining Drill Operator

Return to “Modding help”