[15.33] Laggy map moving in MP, while zooming is perfect

Bugs that we were not able to reproduce, and/or are waiting for more detailed info.
judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[15.33] Laggy map moving in MP, while zooming is perfect

Post by judos »

Hi there,

1.) What did I do:
I noticed recently that using "wasd" keys to look around on the map can be very laggy on multiplayer. When I have the map view open and move around with the keys "wasd" it's sometimes ok, then again laggy. This is visibly unfortable to view.

3) What I expect:
At the same time I noticed that using the scroll-wheel to zoom into the map and out again is absolutely fine. So no performence issue here and therefore I assume my pc should also not have any issue moving around the camera on the map view.

It feels a bit like some multiplayer synchronization is keeping me from moving around smoothly on the map.

Attached the
saves.zip
(86.39 MiB) Downloaded 96 times
savefile+mods

I tried to record the moving of the map in a gif. However I can only do 40fps gif and it's maybe not so good visible.
If you take a look at the frame 4-6, or 13-21 there's quite some lag and the map doesn't move at all. Then again the map moves normally for some time, then again some lag...
movemap1.gif
movemap1.gif (3.72 MiB) Viewed 2333 times
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(80.04 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [15.33] Laggy map moving in MP, while zooming is perfect

Post by eradicator »

Possibly related:

I noticed ages ago that scrolling the map with wasd gets slower the higher game.speed is set. Setting it to /c game.speed = 100 makes scrolling noticible slower, /c game.speed = 10000 makes it stop visibly moving at all. If the map can actually run at that high UPS tho (i.g. an empty map) then it works fine again. So it feels like a classical keep-up problem.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The map movement is not synchronized in multiplayer so this is probably just a coincidence.

judos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by judos »

Hmm then I guess it would be tightly related to the performence load.
If the cpu load is high it stops working smoothly like the zooming feature does.
Could it be that using wasd forces a repaing?

Something has to be a lot better for the zooming because that works perfectly smooth even under heavy load...
thanks for checking!

Return to “Pending”