Version 0.3.0

Information about releases and roadmap.
MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Version 0.3.0

Post by MF- »

Will you include a texturepack that puts the old high-contrast inserter and turret models back?
They could be really useful for sight-impaired players, because they were way easier to tell apart (and for the turrets: way easier to count!)

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Thanks for the inputs regarding the graphics. As mentioned already uptil now we have been progressing on the art side of the project in a little bit adhoc way. What I mean is that we have missed a clear concept of how the game should look like. We decided that this is just not feasible anymore and that it actually slows us down. Also it doesn't allow us to effectively outsource work to other people because we don't have guidelines and examples of how the thing they are supposed to create shoud look. Therefore Albert is going to spend some time preparing the overall concept for the game and the graphical guidelines (how to setup the rendering conditions for the scene, how to adjust the lights, etc.).

Actually we got the concept for Factorio created by an artist from India. That is the same guy who made the three promotional pictures. The concept is consistent and interesting however it is very schematic and we feel we need something more to get the clear art direction. Albert seems to know what he is doing. So we trust him in this one :)

The side effect of this is that the graphics introduced in 0.3.0 might not be a final one. Most probably in the case of inserters and trees it isn't. The trees don't fit well, we are aware of that (so is Albert) and they will be updated. As for the inserters they are pretty, but they also don't fit great with the overall factorio steampunkish concept. The base of the inserter will probably be changed to be way more simpler (now it looks like a tiny spaceship). We decided to put them in because we think they are already much better than the previous ones.
ficolas wrote:Will you change the filter images for the ranks in the forum to be the new inserters ??
Probably not for now since they might change in the future and also the images on the forum are actually good and schematic. We will probably change them when we produce a complete icon set for the factorio which will update inserters as well I suppose.
MF- wrote:Will you include a texturepack that puts the old high-contrast inserter and turret models back?
They could be really useful for sight-impaired players, because they were way easier to tell apart (and for the turrets: way easier to count!)
That is an interesting idea. Actually any of the modders (you guys:)) can do this with the new modding tools easily already.

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

ficolas from the future wrote:Im ficolas from the future and I have a message.

Its day 269 and im still updating the mod.
There is only a can of water, and there is no food left, I think I will die without updating it...
There are so many ":" to change...

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

ficolas wrote:ficolas from the future wrote:
Im ficolas from the future and I have a message.

Its day 269 and im still updating the mod.
There is only a can of water, and there is no food left, I think I will die without updating it...
There are so many ":" to change...
You don't have to update the mod manually. I was migrating the JSON files to Lua and it wasn't that much work. What I did is that I loaded JSON files in the Lua (using LuaJson) and then dumped them (using Serpent pretty printer).

Muad'Dib
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Muad'Dib »

It doesn't work for me. Give me "not a valid win32 version application"
Obviously I've installed the correct version for my so (win xp sp3 32bit)
Tryed by redownloading and reinstalling both the zip and the installer version. Still same error.

APXEOLOG
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by APXEOLOG »

Muad'Dib wrote:It doesn't work for me. Give me "not a valid win32 version application"
Obviously I've installed the correct version for my so (win xp sp3 32bit)
Tryed by redownloading and reinstalling both the zip and the installer version. Still same error.
confirmed. Some of my friends have same error on win32

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

The problem of the program not working for some windows users is because the app was compiled in the new visual studio with incompatible optimisations for Windows Vista. So if you are running Windows Vista you might encounter this issue. We will provide a bugfix release (0.3.1) soon.

Toma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Toma »

I guess its relevant here as well. I changed the trees a bit to make the forests look less barren. Will make a post in the Skin section of the forum:

Before:

After:

=)

Thread:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =646#p4264

ficolas
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ficolas »

You just copied more leaves?
Looks awesome.

Toma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Toma »

ficolas wrote:You just copied more leaves?
Looks awesome.
Yup, its the same models, and I just copied some branches/leafs to make them look like fuller trees. Looks way better ingame in my opinion. I also replaced half of the dead trees with leaf trees for "version 2". I uploaded it to dropbox, link is at the end of the picture post above.

This is a comparison of the "same" tree before and after:
ImageImage

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

We plan to make extend the tree generating options, so it would be possible to define ratio of trees depending on the terrain.

Toma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Toma »

kovarex wrote:We plan to make extend the tree generating options, so it would be possible to define ratio of trees depending on the terrain.
Yup, that would be great. Changing tree types would be even better, like allowing mods to add sand plants/trees to sand biomes whereas the normal ones keep the tropical trees.

But thats just cosmetic stuff for now =) You guys should really focus on content atm instead. If anything is too jarring, the community will probably just jump in (like I did with the forest density).

Blü
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blü »

did you changed the spawn rate in this version? i'm getting about 30 creepers every minute, it's annoying

also, I can't cook stone for some reason :|

and so far I'm liking the new textures, I hope you'll changed the lamp texture, they are way too simple

I_IBlackI_I
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by I_IBlackI_I »

Mranth0ny62 wrote:did you changed the spawn rate in this version? i'm getting about 30 creepers every minute, it's annoying

also, I can't cook stone for some reason :|

and so far I'm liking the new textures, I hope you'll changed the lamp texture, they are way too simple

you know the stone to stonebrick ratio isnt 1;1 you need (correct me if im wrong) 5 stone for 1 stone brick

Blü
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blü »

I_IBlackI_I wrote: you know the stone to stonebrick ratio isnt 1;1 you need (correct me if im wrong) 5 stone for 1 stone brick
I can't put stone in the furnace, that's the problem

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

Mranth0ny62 wrote:I can't put stone in the furnace, that's the problem
Have you tried both manually and with inserter?
I've only tried with inserters so far but that worked fine.

Blackmoor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blackmoor »

Hey guys,

I figure there will be a new update coming up soon.

Is there any word on when that might be?

Thanks.

wrtlprnft
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wrtlprnft »

Return to “Releases”