Information about releases and roadmap.
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Version 0.18.0

Post by Klonan »

Hans19 wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:44 pm
"Steam users can now log in automatically through Steam without needing their Factorio account password."
Is there a way to stop this? Or at least ask me before logging in? The "can" implies that it's an option, not forced.
What is the use case?

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

Klonan wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:26 pm
"Steam users can now log in automatically through Steam without needing their Factorio account password."
Is there a way to stop this? Or at least ask me before logging in? The "can" implies that it's an option, not forced.
What is the use case?
How is/are user ID/permissions handled for steam logins vs factorio logins? I could see an issue with bans/permissions etc if someone went back and forth between direct IP/LAN and steam invites and it wasn't handled identically. Can't say I can see any other conflict (other than maybe offline mode doing strange things - which I do use).
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Honktown wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:45 pm
What is the use case?
How is/are user ID/permissions handled for steam logins vs factorio logins? I could see an issue with bans/permissions etc if someone went back and forth between direct IP/LAN and steam invites and it wasn't handled identically. Can't say I can see any other conflict (other than maybe offline mode doing strange things - which I do use).
The username is still the unique identifier (Steam users will be prompted to choose one on first login),
So you can't avoid bans without having another account and buying the game again

Hans19
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hans19 »

What is the use case?
I just noticed that for some reason there is a log in whenever I go to settings / mods / install or updates. I didn't expect an automatic log in there, I have no idea what it's logging in to, what credentials it's using or even why. I consider that to be suspicious behavior and would prefer if it could be disabled and wasn't enabled by default.

So the use case is to not freak me out, I guess.

Zathuras
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zathuras »

Urgent question: will the campaign vanish if I go to 0.18?

Also in general I want to side strongly with everyone who wants to keep the campaign.

You say "freeplay is the way its been played for years", but I would never have played the game to begin with if the campaign was not there. It splits a hugely daunting game into understandable chunks. I thought "science packs" were a somewhat weird fill-in for technology unlocking through story progression..?

I agree with the reasoning of scrapping the tutorial, but precisely because the campaign facilitated self exploration exactly the way it needed.

I had actually put down the game, waiting for new missions to be released. I have been resignating to freeplay for a half year now because I could not wait for additional missions.
I am rooting for more story! Why am I here? What happened to everyone else? Where is "here" anyway?
I have been able to hook three friends on factorio, all of them folded in freeplay.
Two took up paper and pencil 30min in, and were lost in complexity coon.
One found the "dump 500 arc furnaces in here to discover how to build rails" logic far too stupid.

Decision against such a large piece of a game should be based in market research at least.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:14 pm

I just noticed that for some reason there is a log in whenever I go to settings / mods / install or updates. I didn't expect an automatic log in there, I have no idea what it's logging in to, what credentials it's using or even why. I consider that to be suspicious behavior and would prefer if it could be disabled and wasn't enabled by default.

So the use case is to not freak me out, I guess.
Downloading and updating mods has always required logging in to the mod portal. Personally I think that adding oanoption to remove the automatic login for installs that already have cached credentials just isn't worth the programmer time the extra codepath/option would require to implement and maintain.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Zathuras wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:38 pm
Urgent question: will the campaign vanish if I go to 0.18?
No, but it is mildly bugged in 0.18. Best make a 0.18 installation parallel if you just want to check it out and play the campaign on stable.

Hans19
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hans19 »

Zavian wrote: ↑
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:09 am
Downloading and updating mods has always required logging in to the mod portal. Personally I think that adding oanoption to remove the automatic login for installs that already have cached credentials just isn't worth the programmer time the extra codepath/option would require to implement and maintain.
Sorry for the late reply, but here goes.

What cached credentials? I don't recall logging in there before. I've handled mods myself, never let the game download or update for me. In 0.17 the game prompted for login if I opened those tabs and I could cancel, so it's not like it's extra programmer time. No, the prompt was removed. I still don't know what login credentials are used in that login.

I ended up getting so annoyed by this behavior that I installed a firewall, just to block Factorio from the Internet entirely.

Return to β€œReleases”