[Request] Filter small pumps

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
bunnzy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Request] Filter small pumps

Post by bunnzy »

I would like to be able to add filters to small pumps, even if just one filter, so the pump will ONLY pump that specific liquid. I've tried making a mod, but I honestly suck, I'll keep trying but I'm sure someone could do it way faster than I could (I may never get there!).
It'd be neat if it would work in v0.14

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Request] Filter small pumps

Post by aubergine18 »

Pipes can only ever contain one type of fluid. So if you put even a tiny amount of water in a pipe, that pipe won't accept any oil while it contains water.
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

bunnzy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bunnzy »

aubergine18 wrote:Pipes can only ever contain one type of fluid. So if you put even a tiny amount of water in a pipe, that pipe won't accept any oil while it contains water.
I understand what you mean. I think you are saying that I couldn't switch between things, because the pipe is already contaminated.
I posted elsewhere asking for help for this issue, so what I'm looking for is in regards to unloading rail tankers, so I wouldn't use the pump for more than one fluid at a time, and if I did then I would expect contamination issues like the current small pump has.
I would like to be able to put a filter on a small pump, so a smart small pump if you will, so the pump will ONLY pump if the incoming fluid is, say, crude oil, or heavy oil. When the train rolls up, it goes to pump and goes "nope, this isn't XX specified liquid, so I'm not going to unload this train"... does that make sense? At the moment it's just a small pump and it unloads all tanker cars indiscriminately whenever they roll up to the station.

I tried making a mod, I really did. It's a bit beyond my capabilities. >_<

bunnzy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bunnzy »

I also think a smart small pump with a filter would be a good safety net to stop cross contamination within the piping system. It could be implemented whenever there is risk of your pipes mixing up.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Apparently, with some careful engineering, it is possible to have a pipe network handle multiple liquids (but only one liquid at a time): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35683
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

bunnzy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bunnzy »

aubergine18 wrote:Apparently, with some careful engineering, it is possible to have a pipe network handle multiple liquids (but only one liquid at a time): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35683

Whoa, that's super awesome, thank you for sharing that with me. That's something I'll give a go in one of my towns :)

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”