A request, Red Sci trains.

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
666JTK666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

A request, Red Sci trains.

Post by 666JTK666 »

I think that what I am thinking about can be achieved with a mod so I am posting the idea/concept here.
I would like for locomotives to be separate tech branch unlocked by railway .locomotives as a red science tech this 1st tier locomotive will be quite slow (perhaps 40-50% top speed of the standard) and fuel would be limited to coal only. fuel consumption would be quite quick thus the need for a 8(or more) stack capacity in the locomotive.
Build recipe would be something like 2 steam engines,8 boilers, 100 iron plate , 50 copper plate.
Tier 2 locomotives would be the standard locomotives that we all know and like.
Railway would become a red science tech as well however at tier 1 only train stops and a new track would be unlocked, Iron track looks just like the standard track but would be black.
The build recipe would be 4 iron sticks,5 stone,10 wood. this iron track would only allow tier 1 locomotives to run on it, tier2 steel track can run either tier 1 or 2 locomotives to run.
Signals would unlock at railway tier 2 red/green science as well as unlock the standard steel track.
The research cost (in red science packs) for both of these at tier 1 would be in the 60 to 100 range I think.

Why do I want this ?
I am fairly picky about where I choose to start actually building my factory, invariably I find the perfect spot to start to build to be vary vary far away from the starting area or from where my ore deposits are located. typical belt runs from my ore/smelting area to the actual factory are 300+ long. having an almost from the start train even if it is slow and costly to run would make me a happy camper, and make my factory's look and run better. possibly others feel the same as I do.

Dreaming big
I would love for there to be a way to make the locomotive burn coal and water, with a locomotive tender car that would hold the supply of coal needed by the locomotive. also a building that would store water and dispense it into to locomotive at the train stop. A fantastic artist could design or copy a design of an early model steam locomotive and put it in the mod.
thank you for your time and consideration.
comments are welcome , does anyone like /dislike this idea ? perhaps you have suggestions/refinements to the idea?

Edited to hopefully make the idea a bit more logical.
Last edited by 666JTK666 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ReijMan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: A request, Red Sci trains.

Post by ReijMan »

As an (OPEN)TTD fan, I love all energy put into trains!
I think its a bit strange that inserters go electric fairly quick but trains don't.. never.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: A request, Red Sci trains.

Post by hitzu »

Personally I would like to see trains earlier in the game, for example in the form of minecarts just like in Minecraft. Probably this would require new rails without steel in their recipe.

As an alternative, there is an idea of the ropeway system that would totally fit this niche. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... it=ropeway

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”