switch off all beacon

This is the place to request new mods or give ideas about what could be done.
fregate84
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

switch off all beacon

Post by fregate84 »

Hello,

i'm lookping for a mod to switch off all beacon.
Because beacon used lot of power, i'm looking for a entity who can switch off all beacon if a condition is true. (for example I monitor my batteries and if charge < 40%, I swith off all beacon)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: switch off all beacon

Post by orzelek »

You can do this by connecting all beacons to separate power grid and using power switch.

fregate84
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by fregate84 »

Impossible to connect all becons to a diffetent power grid when you have 200 of them, on lot of diffetent places. That my problem !

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The easiest answer is to just build more power so you can leave them on.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Rseding91 wrote:The easiest answer is to just build more power so you can leave them on.
No way with red/green wires and smart connection?

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

You could always turn them off by having circuit controlled inserters removing/inserting their modules.
Also according to this post power switches are a terrible idea for bigger bases.
Rseding91 wrote:
Optera wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:"Powering down" things is one of the worse ways you can stop a factory. Simply not giving it any resources to consume/use is the ideal way.

The problem is: "powering down" an entity means the normal update logic on the entity can't run because there's no power to do things like "move the inserter arm". The entity has no update notification when power is restored so it can't disable itself.
Another reason for making beacons switch on/off on signals. Sadly switching beacons wasn't voted higher in circuit feature poll.
Currently you have to decide between draining power for more UPS or switch power off at the expense of continuous "needless" UPS updates. Placing an inserter loop, removing/inserting modules on signals, next to every beacon simply takes too much space to be a feasible alternative.
Making beacons switch off on signals would be the exact same as switching off through loss of power. It wouldn't save any additional UPS.

Circuit "switch off" is just a flag in the entity that forces it to not run the normal update logic. It's also one of the worse ways to "power down" something.

Return to “Ideas and Requests For Mods”