Pipes ?

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Slan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Pipes ?

Post by Slan »

Look like pipe are limited in speed or quantiy/s - Is it true ?

If yes - Is there a mod that increase it or make bigger pipes ?

Same for Liquid storage.

Thanks

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Pipes ?

Post by Rahjital »

Indeed, pipes have limited amount of liquid they can hold and fluids can only move with a limited speed. There's no mod I know of that increases the capacity of pipes and the rate at which fluids flow, but it's rather simple to change this with a mod.

Slan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Slan »

I actually use dytech mod that is really fun. But liquid/mold liquid are unbalanced in two fact : We can't upgrade the base factory (smelt/molt) and the main thing is that the blast furnace really function at 100% if we use 4 exit that make pipe complicated. Some "bigger/faster" pipe will be marvellous !

I will ask on the right place for a mod.

Thanks a lot.

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

i looked yet in the prototypes and i think it's possible. and i had bigger types planed for my mod - but i add them only then i have the graphics done.
i can test this now, and if it's working i add this to my mod. but maybe somewho else make a extra-small mod.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Making fluids flow slower is a relatively easy change. But for my mod I wanted some gas chemicals, and I wanted them to move faster than the existing liquids.
Changing values to try and make things flow faster than the existing factorio fluids results in a kind of yoyo effect, the fluid seems to flow back and forth along the pipe pretty fast, and in some areas you get "Bubbles" where the pipe seems to remain empty, even though fluids traveled past it.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

t4nk3r4lyf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by t4nk3r4lyf »

bobingabout wrote:Making fluids flow slower is a relatively easy change. But for my mod I wanted some gas chemicals, and I wanted them to move faster than the existing liquids.
Changing values to try and make things flow faster than the existing factorio fluids results in a kind of yoyo effect, the fluid seems to flow back and forth along the pipe pretty fast, and in some areas you get "Bubbles" where the pipe seems to remain empty, even though fluids traveled past it.
I have been playing around with the flow speeds a bit. But the wording is throwing me off a bit.

The pressure to speed ratio, does a higher number mean that the fluid will flow towards low pressure faster?

The flow to energy ratio, I'm not sure exactly what this does, could you shed some light on that?

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Pressure to speed: this gets multiplied by the pressure to give new flow speed (almost). Set this too low and the liquid will be too "oily", set it too high and the simulation will become unstable :-)

Flow to energy: This describes inertia of the flow. Higher means that the liquid is harder to stop.

t4nk3r4lyf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by t4nk3r4lyf »

cube wrote:Pressure to speed: this gets multiplied by the pressure to give new flow speed (almost). Set this too low and the liquid will be too "oily", set it too high and the simulation will become unstable :-)

Flow to energy: This describes inertia of the flow. Higher means that the liquid is harder to stop.

So if you used a high flow to energy would this cause the liquid to "bounce" once it reached the end of the pipe?

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

t4nk3r4lyf wrote:
cube wrote:Pressure to speed: this gets multiplied by the pressure to give new flow speed (almost). Set this too low and the liquid will be too "oily", set it too high and the simulation will become unstable :-)

So if you used a high flow to energy would this cause the liquid to "bounce" once it reached the end of the pipe?
When you increase either of them, it will bounce. With high flow to energy if you suddenly block a fast flow, it will make a high pressure at the closed end.
Now that I'm thinking about it, the place where flow to energy is the most visible is around crossings... The rules are not that simple to understand, and a lot of experimenting is necessary :-)

Return to “Modding discussion”