Friday Facts #374 - Smarter robots

Regular reports on Factorio development.
jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #374 - Smarter robots

Post by jamiechi1 »

I would like to see the Closest First mod built into the game.

EustaceCS
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EustaceCS »

...and they say males can't have emotional climax... I just had one from reading this article.
That's what I really LOVE in your approach to development.
You don't bother with consequences - you go straight to the cause and completely demolish it. Without causing any collateral damage.
Uuuuuuuuuuh, can't wait to see it in action...

Sincerely,
a player who is so bad with logistics so logi bots are the only solution for him even with their current state.

0xE1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by 0xE1 »

It could be interesting to have some of these changes be part of Research tree? So that old behavior is part of initial robot research, and their behavior is then upgraded either through research or some other means, perhaps quality of robots?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I'd rather not, but that's just my personal opinion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

catpig
Inserter
Inserter

Post by catpig »

I know I'm late, but...
First, let me say that I'm quite excited about the DLC. However, there's always SE and Bobangel for more content - but this... this is just awesome. Maintenance and QoL are where you can tell good devs from bad devs - bad devs just add more features (that are easily billed), but good ones also provide after-sales support in the form of this sort of stuff :)

wizcreations
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wizcreations »

wrote: Perchance we had some mod with higher quality worker robots, we can request the low quality ones and remove them with a filter inserter, over time removing the worse robots from circulation.
I see what you did there. Nice teaser.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Huh. So it considers the chunks they will end up in to make a decision which bots to pick. Good to know. ^^

Currently I have the habit to place my Roboports exactly on the corners or edges of chunks. Basically, overlapping the corners of 4 chunks or at least 2 chunks.

I wonder how my approach to that would affect which bots are picked for a task in 2.0. Because I guess the roboport have something like a "center of interest" which will be taken as coordinates for bots that are stored inside the roboport. I would think that because of that Center of interest the robots will be registerd in one of the 4 chunks and not all 4?
But that would likely mean that a situation can arise where you have a task, but the closest robot is actually in the neighbor chunk and it will NOT be used because there are a robots stored in a roboport in the same chunk, just on the far corner/edge of it. :>
If the entire roboport network is kinda aligned like that, like is in my maps, it will be really funny because then that algorithm should actually become quite noticable.

I guess the best place for roboports with Factorio 2.0 will be actually exactly in the middle of a chunk instead? Then it has equal distance in every direction of that chunk.

Return to “News”