Friday Facts #375 - Quality

Regular reports on Factorio development.
MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #375 - Quality

Post by MeduSalem »

spinba11 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:47 pm
I’ve seen people say that you can mix ingredients quality and the output will be the lowest, is that correct because I’ve skimmed the FF page and can’t see it? It would solve the issue that I’m having with the quality mod where I’m getting too much of one level quality ingredient and not enough of the same quality of another and it locks the builds up.
As I understand it will not always be the lowest quality output if you mix ingredient qualities.

The quality modules inside machines will affect how high the chances are to get a better quality item produced.
But the ingredients you input themselves also affect the chances for getting a better quality item.

So if you mix different quality ingredients you will still get some quality items out, but not as much as you would if they would all be the same quality.

I think the only thing that is guaranteed is that if all ingredients are the same quality then the quality of the output item cannot be lower than the quality of the input was.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

MeduSalem wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:30 pm
As I understand it will not always be the lowest quality output if you mix ingredient qualities.
Without quality modules you will always get the quality of your lowest ingredient.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Loewchen wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:50 pm
MeduSalem wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:30 pm
Without quality modules you will always get the quality of your lowest ingredient.

Is that written somewhere already? ^^

Anyway if that is the case and how it will work then I will blatantly say that it is stupid because it bares any logic of what the average player expects to happen.

Because imagine you have a recipe with 5 ingredients, and 4 of them are legendary quality and only 1 is base quality. If what you say is true then the entire output is base quality just because you don't have a quality module in the final assembler. ^^

The more logical result should be that the result should be a weighted distribution between the lowest and the highest quality ingredients. At least that is what I would expect as a result. If it is a good result, is debatable, but at least it is what I would expect.

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nemoricus »

I find it quite reasonable to say that you're limited to the worst of your inputs. A chain that has all high quality links except for one weak link isn't a high quality chain.

Put another way, you get quality by committing to quality, not by cheaping out on one component or another.

spinba11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by spinba11 »

If I’m making a legendary gear will the inserter pickup any Quality iron that goes by, meaning if I actually want a legendary gear I can only let legendary iron go down the belt (there’s no quality modules in the assembler).

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

spinba11 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:16 am
If I’m making a legendary gear will the inserter pickup any Quality iron that goes by, meaning if I actually want a legendary gear I can only let legendary iron go down the belt (there’s no quality modules in the assembler).
You will be able to filter by quality.

Return to “News”