Friday Facts #381 - Space Platforms

Regular reports on Factorio development.
varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #381 - Space Platforms

Post by varundevan »

computeraddict wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:33 pm
varundevan wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:02 am
one of the things that makes Factorio a good teacher is that how close the game is to the real world scenarios.
Eh?

https://alt-f4.blog/ALTF4-35/
I am an engineer working in high volume manufacturing plant for 10 years (which manufactures billions of products annually - literally)
of course it's a game , but it did help me to spur up my analytical thinking when designing process flow for my production line and calculating line output.
am thank fur that , caution : its only MY opinion.

spiro9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by spiro9 »

My main question is, are the platforms' limitations going to be modifiable by end users, or are they strictly hard-coded?
I feel it'd be a fun challenge to play a modded game of Factorio with the end goal of building a space base, so not just transportation platforms but a dedicated logistics hub, but what I have in mind when I think of that wouldn't play nice with the limitations discussed in this FFF.
Hi hungry, I'm dad!

alfredwallace
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by alfredwallace »

hi
i didn't play factorio since 1 year and see that
this will be released as something like a DLC ? If yes where can I found more info about this and when !?

Brambor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Brambor »

alfredwallace wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:33 pm
hi
i didn't play factorio since 1 year and see that
this will be released as something like a DLC ? If yes where can I found more info about this and when !?
Directly in previous FFF:
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-373

alfredwallace
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by alfredwallace »

thank you
can wait !

akiraic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by akiraic »

just the engines alone already have the graphic quality and detail the entire game should have. Look how eye-catching it is amidst all that static, low-detail texture of the rest of the island. Excited for this, but at the same time, think they should've put the same visual design effort into improving what is already in place as well

dragon-architect
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dragon-architect »

I'll be honest I am suuuuuper not jazzed for the belt logistics puzzle that space platforms are going to be, and it's the one big thing that I think is going to make Space Age a huge slog for me. I don't like dealing with belt logistics or belt spaghetti. It takes me an obscene amount of thinking to be able to plan out even relatively simple belt layouts, and having a whole mechanic of the game require that is not going to be remotely fun. Especially since it's a mechanic that MUST be interacted with in order to progress.

I really do hope that this can be optionally modded to allow bots, because I can tell you right now I'm not going to enjoy being forced into pure belt logistics just to be able to ferry crap to another world. :(

bnrom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bnrom »

Modding is great.

Slight push back though: high grade belt undergrounds make routing belt items pretty easy, i.m.o., and more broadly I'm excited to have to just use belts and think about limited space.

Other points:
- You can always copy someone else's blue prints / use a guide for the space stations if you don't enjoy solving those challenges.
- You can just build a larger platform to avoid hard belt problems. The platform will be slower / mildly less efficient, but it should still suffice to move resources between planets.
Last edited by bnrom on Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

catpig
Inserter
Inserter

Post by catpig »

dragon-architect wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:27 pm
I really do hope that this can be optionally modded to allow bots, because I can tell you right now I'm not going to enjoy being forced into pure belt logistics just to be able to ferry crap to another world. :(
I would be very surprised if mods can't add robots to the platforms. Though personally I don't mind, belts are my favourite method of moving stuff around :)

dragon-architect
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dragon-architect »

catpig wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:10 am
dragon-architect wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:27 pm
I would be very surprised if mods can't add robots to the platforms. Though personally I don't mind, belts are my favourite method of moving stuff around :)
I'll at least give the belt logistics a shot, but if it becomes more of a slog than the fun I get out of it, I'll definitely be on the lookout for QoL mods to make space platforms less of a slog to play on.

Return to “News”