Friday Facts #383 - Super force building

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #383 - Super force building

Post by Qon »

Rubeus wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:34 am

My point is that having 2 levels of "Forcing the build", unless there's a specific reason for it, seems like unnecessary complexity. What is the use case for separating a "force" and a "super force"? It seems these should be the same functionality.
Super force is used to build rail through a solar field as shown in the FFF. Rail placed after solar, but has priority.

Force is used to put solar field around tracks, same build but the tracks were placed first and solar after.
It makes sense to have a mode that forces the removal of objects in the way; this is fine. However, I question what use case there is for specifically allowing the truncating of blueprints where the land is unsuitable (water tiles). The other features - while useful - would likewise make sense to put into "Force build".
Force is also used to place walls up to a body of water. You don't want to landfill on it, you want the natural protection it offers. Or you are placing solar and don't yet have or can't afford to place landfill.

computeraddict
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by computeraddict »

If "Force Build" removes trees/rocks/cliffs, why would it be a separate function to remove buildings, as well?
Because you frequently paste things to interact with other buildings while wanting to get rid of trees, rocks, and cliffs that don't interact with those buildings?

Architector_4
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Architector_4 »

Will there be super force by-hand building for when you don't have construction bots?

Terraria did this in its 1.4 update, where, for example, you can hold LMB on a block of dirt with a block of wood to mine it and automatically replace it with that wood.

It could be really handy to hold CTRL+LMB with inserters over conveyor belts, or even just trees, to collect them and replace them with those inserters quicker than having to perform a dance on the mouse.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Architector_4 wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:19 pm
Will there be super force by-hand building for when you don't have construction bots?
What about mining speed?

Architector_4
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Architector_4 »

Qon wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:34 pm
Architector_4 wrote: ↑
Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:19 pm
What about mining speed?
I mean yeah, of course, that needs to be considered too. In Terraria you don't replace blocks instantly, you have to hold left mouse button for exactly the amount of time needed to mine the block below with your pickaxe (or forever if your pickaxe can't mine the block). That's why I'm saying "hold" lol

j_matya
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by j_matya »

FuryoftheStars wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:21 pm
j_matya wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:53 pm
I wonder if you can soft-lock yourself by
  1. not having bots,
  2. picking up landfill behind you,
  3. and placing all of it ahead of you
Since IIRC you need for example real concrete "in-hand" to hand-mine it the placed tiles...
You can add landfill to your toolbar and then select it from there to be given the ghost tool, which can then be used to remove the landfill so you can replace it.
Wow, 2k+ hours in the game and never noticed this. Thanks!
(LFMF: apparently this seems not to be trivial)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:48 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:21 pm
Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:53 pm
I wonder if you can soft-lock yourself by
  1. not having bots,
  2. picking up landfill behind you,
  3. and placing all of it ahead of you
Since IIRC you need for example real concrete "in-hand" to hand-mine it the placed tiles...
You can add landfill to your toolbar and then select it from there to be given the ghost tool, which can then be used to remove the landfill so you can replace it.
Wow, 2k+ hours in the game and never noticed this. Thanks!
(LFMF: apparently this seems not to be trivial)
Yeah, you need to click an empty toolbar spot (clearing one first if you don't have any), find the item to click and add to the toolbar, then click again from the toolbar to select.

There is an old suggestion thread regarding using the Pipette tool (Q by default) right from the crafting menu to put an item in your hand (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45724) that I think would be handy to have implemented, especially if it puts it as a ghost if you don't have any of the item.

There's also a couple of mods out there that currently implement such features, like this one here: Cursor Enhancements
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Shakrii
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Shakrii »

While the space exploration is neat and something that I will be interested in exploring upon release; It is al the quality of life (many feeling based on existing mods) that is making me very exited for the upcoming expansion.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

This will change blueprint speed runs massively, as we can now do incremental blueprints without any manual adjusting between prints.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

fusionfan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by fusionfan »

Yes! Yes! Magnificent!

SalaryLupin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SalaryLupin »

If we can lay down water tiles, it would mean complete liberation from bugs, as they cannot cross water...

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

SalaryLupin wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:53 pm
If we can lay down water tiles, it would mean complete liberation from bugs, as they cannot cross water...
You didn't read, we can't lay down water tiles, we can remove landfill tiles we have layed down.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Or will it.. dunh dunh dunhhhh
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

Miroro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Miroro »

Koub wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:49 am
You didn't read, we can't lay down water tiles, we can remove landfill tiles we have layed down.
I agree that making water anywhere is not a good idea, but honestly I'm suprised that there is no any possibility to build a well that can deliver water. This is such a normal thing in real life. Can be similar to oil with limited capacity/pumping speed, could be upgradable. Placing hundreds of pipes and many pumps to bring water through a big base is kind of boring now. Using trains to transport water is also strange but.... we have what we have.

Danjen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Danjen »

Maybe it was mentioned already but how will this affect Biters?

Currently in Vanilla, you can build landfill on every other tile, which means if you're playing an island or water-heavy map, you can create shortcuts or un-pathable areas with this technique. I understand that you're only removing landfill you've placed, but if you have a solid land bridge that you can yank up on a moment's notice, it feels like Biters will need more tools (swimming, flying, better pathing) to deal with it.

This might already be planned, given the early concept art of that one biter from last (?) year

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Danjen wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:30 am
I understand that you're only removing landfill you've placed, but if you have a solid land bridge that you can yank up on a moment's notice, it feels like Biters will need more tools (swimming, flying, better pathing) to deal with it.
A landbridge with a 1 tile chokepoint is defendable with minimal resources for ages. It wouldn't be totally free as a "landfill that can be removed" would be, but I don't feel the engineer will earn that much of a new unfair advantage.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

XelSelenius
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by XelSelenius »

Zemerson wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:01 pm
Instead of Super Force building, couldn't it just be force building, with a toggle for removing what's already there?
Normal: Regular placement of Blueprint

Forced: Applied by Shift + Click. Works for Trees, Rocks, and Cliffs

Supper Forced: Will work the same way as above but will also apply landfill in the areas where there is water. Therefore you do not need to landfill the place with water before you place BP or do this again because there was ONE spot with water right under a building.

Danjen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Danjen »

Koub wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:20 am
Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:30 am
I understand that you're only removing landfill you've placed, but if you have a solid land bridge that you can yank up on a moment's notice, it feels like Biters will need more tools (swimming, flying, better pathing) to deal with it.
A landbridge with a 1 tile chokepoint is defendable with minimal resources for ages. It wouldn't be totally free as a "landfill that can be removed" would be, but I don't feel the engineer will earn that much of a new unfair advantage.
You misunderstand. It's not a 1-tile chokepoint, it's a landfill being placed every other tile like [L W L W L W L]. This is walkable by the player, but impassable for biters. You don't need a single gun to defend it. It's been many months since I've played, perhaps they've corrected this?

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:30 am
You misunderstand. It's not a 1-tile chokepoint, it's a landfill being placed every other tile like [L W L W L W L]. This is walkable by the player, but impassable for biters. You don't need a single gun to defend it. It's been many months since I've played, perhaps they've corrected this?
It's even been mentioned in a FFF that biter AI can't handle single tile gaps, so the devs are certainly aware of this and they didn't see a reason to change it. Maybe 2.0 changes things...

ElderAxe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Super force building - The circle is closing

Post by ElderAxe »

Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:37 am
computeraddict wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:42 am
Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:36 am
But how would you add it to a blueprint if whenever you place it it is already gone?
If it only deconstructs itself after being placed, just blueprint the ghost?
That has issues as well. You want your self-deleting item to be required to be placed then, by a bot. Which then has to remove the entity as well? How do you make sure the logistics network has the item? How do you get enough quantity? That's kind of weird. And how do you then place ghosts and prevent bots from placing them and then deconstruct them again?

With manual deconstruction of wooden chests you can just not have any wooden chests. And you can remove them while they are ghosts. And there's no burden on the construction bots carrying entities back and forth you don't actually want. That's otherwise potentially an enormous load that cripples your construction of actual entities and might also send your power into a death spiral.
Impatient wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:27 am
Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:36 am
So in the end, wooden boxes in empty spots of a super force built blueprint that are then removed with a filter planner seems like it does the job even better, just requires an extra step simple step.
I thought of wooden boxes too. :D

But it kind of did not satisfy me. Wooden boxes, if built, do block player movement. And they can interact with other entities.
Ghosts don't block player movement. Ghosts don't interact with other entities. Wooden boxes are an example of a 1 tile item that is never crafted.
You know we have some capabilities to modify a blueprint like removing an entity or setting the snap anchor etc.
Maybe we could have a way of adding deconstruction marks to empty tiles in blueprints. So we can mark those tiles that can break the blueprint.
Screenshot 2023-11-11 154026.jpg
Screenshot 2023-11-11 154026.jpg (73.1 KiB) Viewed 1184 times

Return to β€œNews”