Friday Facts #398 - Fulgora

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Losash
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #398 - Fulgora

Post by Losash »

forsaken75 wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:58 pm
are you absolutely sure about your assertion? i can promise you ive been on-board with factorio far longer than you, and i absolutely love the devs of this game. Guess what? Despite what you think, its actually ok to be critical of things and still love them. you have been taught that you either have to love or hate something. thats not the case. i love my wife but that doesn't mean she is god's chosen 100% perfect angel on earth. its okay to have criticism. its okay to not be impressed with something. its okay to say so. Is this forum an echo chamber where you only want to hear how great something is? How positive are you that i am only looking for the negative? because i have a critique? i have thousands of hours in the game. i mean i literally got a pulmonary embolism from a thrombus i got playing the game. it almost killed me. i love this game more than you will ever know so back off.
You are a funny individual. Let me play your game with you? Here:
Are you absolutely sure about your assertions? I can promise you I've been on board with Factorio even "longer" than your longer has been. Guess what? I'm also smarter than you. I'm also older than you. And finally. I love this game way more than you will ever know, and it's actually easy, most of the people love the game way more than you do, considering your 6 hate posts so far.

So back off from all of us, your narrative is not welcomed, neither brings any value. I hope you will have some time reading previous 25 blogposts, where developers clearly explain how much innovative changes they've made so far, which no mod ever could before.

Rebmes
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rebmes »

"Yet all that moves over this grave landscape now, is the sun, the sky, and the sand."

Earendel, what poetry you write. Thanks for a great reveal.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

forsaken75 wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:58 pm
[...]
Losash wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:48 am
[...]
[Koub] Okay this is enough. If you want to have a personal argument, do it in PM. If I have to actively moderate anything past this point, I will remove the whole history of your disagreement.
FuryoftheStars wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:00 pm
[...] it'd cause the Mods to get mad at us ( :lol: ), but I did want to point out a couple things.
Oh yeah, you bet it would :mrgreen:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Terrahertz wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:15 pm
So I guess the name is from Latin Fulgeo then? Fitting :D
I think you found the right family of word but there is also fulgur and fulgor which have a meaning even more related to thunderbolt. I found them in the derived words list from from your link they are very similar to the french word "fulgurant" which is also related to the thunder so it rang a bell . "Fulgora" wasn't enough for me to make the connexion. :roll:
GregoriusT wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:53 pm
Yep I was referring to just grabbing it with a glorified metal stick on the ground, not the bolt itself. Lightning as is, is only capable of partially burning a human, leaving a tube of glass in sand, ignite a tree fast enough to explode its contained water, or stun some fish in the sea.
They did use the tube of glass in the sand method in the article, measuring their size to deduce the energy of the strike that did the melting, that is fitting to the planet Fulgora :) , but i see now there exist other ways to measure the energy, and i saw some trees in the videos, but no fish though :twisted: No water also means no way to use that energy to isolate hydrogen which could have been a way to gather more energy than only the electrical one. I had always dream of a machine that could run on the energy from noises, like the thunder, but that is very very little energy.

Regarding the clouds of sands, maybe it is composed of ferrous oxyde, the color of the planet could be caused by rust and thus sandstrom would have much more energy in them than regular sandstorm which have a lot already ? I didn't know they could cause lightning strikes, and when trying to research on that,it seemed the causes of the phenomenon are still not well understood by scientists. article 1 and 2 I suppose it makes a very good explanation because it makes it difficult to say what is realistic or not in such situation and you could go away with anything creative :)

Karsaell
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Karsaell »

aka13 wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:07 pm
DeepSpaced wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:00 pm
Kadet123 wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:37 pm
Kadet123 wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:33 pm
One thing no one is talking about are those cliff-sized alien walls in some areas. They were clearly built by someone. I wonder if a tech coming from this planet is walls 2.0 that are basically buildable cliffs: larger and thicker segments (maybe 2x2 or 3x3) that are damn near indestructible.
Seeing how they slope, it would be a fun mechanic if they were "one-way" tiles for certain entities, like the car (and certain biters) could jump off them, but not go back up.
I'm super curious about those too - they look like reservoirs of some sort, you can see pipe inlets. Imagine being able to build ponds for managing fluids - could be like tailing ponds for processing the oilsands or maybe they once held water before the planet became a dustbowl?
I would do indescribable acts of violence for a basebuilder game with physical storage pits for whatever, be it liquids, solids, sands or whatever.
The railcraft tank from minecraft is still unmatched.

Rectangles with interfaces are so boring, I hope you are right in your assumptions.
Have you heard of Dwarf Fortress, my friend ?

mocore
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mocore »

I really like the atmosphere, the lore, the distinct look of this planet. And weather!! Please implement more of this.

Marvin01
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marvin01 »

The icon from fff-372 also seems to be processing some sort of gold wire. Maybe gold is one if the things we get fom recycling scrap, just like with real electronic waste?

BrainlessTeddy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BrainlessTeddy »

That got me hyped for next weeks FFF. Love the lore behind the planet and the lightning looks stunning. Literally.
Please consider english is not my native language.

TheKingOfFailure
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TheKingOfFailure »

SnowZyDe wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:22 pm
It seems to me that factorio is a game for building factories and automation. Today's news has nothing to do with that.
Yes, this isnt Factorio anymore. Its Factorio 2!!!! :o

NicodemusNKX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by NicodemusNKX »

SnowZyDe wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:22 pm
It seems to me that factorio is a game for building factories and automation. Today's news has nothing to do with that.
It would seem that, like many of the FFF's, this is a TEASER. ;) We'll have to wait for next week(s) to get more information on the mechanics for the planet and the types of factories to be built there....

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

Hype train is taking speed !
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

saila
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by saila »

A few ideas in no specific order:

1) Perhaps a statue in the sands, drawing inspiration from: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46565/ozymandias

2) Areas with shifting winds that periodically destroy all objects in an area. This could help make signaled blueprints necessary as a function!

Ie: There is a storm warning you can receive from a Radar, when that warning comes in you have maybe 10 minutes in real-time (increasing or decreasing with variability or the like) -- then a huge dust storm comes through and destroys whatever you've built on the 'low-ground' areas.

This makes you want to build your factory/outpost on 'high-ground' but you need to periodically automatically rebuild segments that connect your factory/outpost to other areas, such as resources.

3) As mentioned, some sort of particle effect showcasing actual moving sand would be amazing.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Karsaell wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:04 am
I have, but I am always somewhat reluctant to try it, seems like a very steep learning curve, especially considering the ascii graphics.
I have played the offspring, rimworld though, was also good fun.

One day I will muster up the strength to play dwarf fortress :D
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

Leviticus_24 wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:53 pm
Anyone notice the Ore-like debris within the ruins of the city? Maybe a new way to mine alien tech or scrap?
We can recycle stuff in 2.0. So ofc a relic world plenty of alien stuff to recycle makes a lot of sense.

Tohim
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Tohim »

porcupine wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:20 pm
Absolutely love the ruins. I remember there used to be a Factorio mod that added strewn ruins to discover, but IIRC it wasn't kept updated/compatible?

Does anyone else get Kenshi vibes from the structures? The rounded-ness, the desolate sand, the audio track?

Absolutely one of my favourite games for the "feels" of wandering that just suck you in, so this is very much in the right direction IMHO.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought this. The ancient space-age technology towering above it's foundations of ancestral sandstone masonry - it all seemed so familiar... Not to mention it a distinctly impeccable aesthetic altogether.

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

GregoriusT

Post by GregoriusT »

aka13 wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:48 pm
Karsaell wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:04 am
I have, but I am always somewhat reluctant to try it, seems like a very steep learning curve, especially considering the ascii graphics.
I have played the offspring, rimworld though, was also good fun.

One day I will muster up the strength to play dwarf fortress :D
Okay just a small bit of Info, there is an official Steam Version of Dwarf Fortress with actual Graphics and Stuff. It released last year (technically December 2022), though the steep learning curve is still there, you can at least see what is going on without translating ASCII and you get mouse controls.
saila wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:46 pm
Ie: There is a storm warning you can receive from a Radar, when that warning comes in you have maybe 10 minutes in real-time (increasing or decreasing with variability or the like) -- then a huge dust storm comes through and destroys whatever you've built on the 'low-ground' areas.
The Storm Warning sounds a bit like it is gonna be spammy to the point you get used to ignoring it, especially if it pops up despite you not having built on any affected Areas, there will need to be care for when and where that warning shows up so you dont "learn" to ignore it until its too late, like you do in space exploration with the solar rays and meteors.
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

psychogears
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by psychogears »

Looking forward to this new planet!

Hiddenporpoise
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Hiddenporpoise »

Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:25 pm
It's funny if they really do add a Lightning Rod as a power source because a single Lightning Strike on Earth has only enough total power to run a Lightbulb for a Day and that is it. That is what high Volts and low Amps gets you, after all Humans have proven to be able to survive a Lightning Strike so it cannot be all that many Joules.
This is a completely insane statement.

Lightning averages in the ballpark of 30,000A and 300,000,000V. That's nearly 10 instantaneous terawatts. The reason relatively little energy is transferred is because the duration is so short. Even in that tiny window a gigajoule of energy will make it into the ground and that's just a tiny fraction; the rest is making the sky glow. That's not a lightbulb for a day, that's a lightbulb for the better part of a year. People can survive this because the current runs over them instead of through them, and they are conductive enough to have a chance to survive what does go through them which is why they don't explode like trees do in the same situation.

novazic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by novazic »

I am so hyped my dudes. Been playing since 2014 I cannot wait to keep playing.

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

Hiddenporpoise wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:25 am
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:25 pm
It's funny if they really do add a Lightning Rod as a power source because a single Lightning Strike on Earth has only enough total power to run a Lightbulb for a Day and that is it. That is what high Volts and low Amps gets you, after all Humans have proven to be able to survive a Lightning Strike so it cannot be all that many Joules.
This is a completely insane statement.

Lightning averages in the ballpark of 30,000A and 300,000,000V. That's nearly 10 instantaneous terawatts. The reason relatively little energy is transferred is because the duration is so short. Even in that tiny window a gigajoule of energy will make it into the ground and that's just a tiny fraction; the rest is making the sky glow. That's not a lightbulb for a day, that's a lightbulb for the better part of a year. People can survive this because the current runs over them instead of through them, and they are conductive enough to have a chance to survive what does go through them which is why they don't explode like trees do in the same situation.
Agreed. Capturing a lightning and store it in an accumulator is closer to fantasy than sci fi.

The diary mentions also wind. That would be a better source of energy here.
Last edited by malecord on Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to β€œNews”